Ac Issue

silverado777

Ok so I live in AZ and its like 120 over here and its taking a toll on my AC and I need some help figuring out what the issue might be. Sometimes my AC will blow cold just not as cold as it should blow. About 60 instead of the usual 40-45. But this only happens sometimes. The system is full and the AC compressor is on and running. It seems to happen more on the weekends when my truck is out in the direct sunlight for a long period of time. Also I notice that when im sitting at a light at idle and then give it a little gas my AC blows a little harder. Anyone have any ideas before I blow a bunch at the dealer?

I don't think there is anything wrong with your truck. Your truck will take some time to cool of if sitting extended periods of time in direct sunlight. With temperatures near 120* outside, just imagine how hot it is inside a closed truck cab....160*? 170*? Yes, your truck interior can get that hot, making your AC work overtime...

The fact that your AC blows a bit warm when stopped is a result of very high ambient temps(120*), and high engine compartment temps(over 200*). When sitting stopped in temps that high, even though your trucks electric fans are running, all they are doing is pulling very hot air through the AC Condenser. When you start giving your truck gas and get moving, you are forcing more air through the Condenser in addition to what the fans move, thus helping the AC system not work so hard.....

Your charge might be a little low. Also you need to check for dirt in between the condenser and rad. If you do have poor airflow, you can blow your seals out real fast.

A trip to an ac shop for a quote might be in order, we check all that stuff.

You might want to check the fan clutch as well. I was having an issue where the A/C compressor would shut down and blow warm/hot air while at a stop light (but only when the car is first started). Once I got away from the light, the moving truck was forcing enough air through to get it working right. Strangely the engine coolant temps were fine.

I had the same issue with mine,a bad fan clutch. My AC Guy just grabs it with his bare hand and stopped it. He's braver then me.

I had the dealer replace it under warranty, but it does the same thing again. I'm switching to electric fans and that should take care of that issue. Like I said,you need lots of airflow. Male sure you clean out the space between the Rad and condenser.

The op has an 05, so he should have electric fans though.

Edited by paulguy (see edit history)