222/224 Pushrods

Im about to order this cam along with springs but I have heard both yes and no as far as needing to go with a hardened pushrod. Someone please tell me if it is really necessary or not, and if so what length do I need? Im using yellow LS6 springs.

I assume you are talking about the COMP XR275HR 222/224/.566/.568 @112? If so, the stock pushrods would probably be fine seeing how that is a mild cam, but if you are already removing the valve covers to change the springs, you might as well use new hardened pushrods just for cheap insurance......

Texas Speed sells the 7.4" .080 wall Chromemoly hardened COMP pushrod set for $135......

Better safe than sorry. I would replace the pushrods IMO. Some get away with it. The lobes on that cam aren't too extreme so it could last with stock ones, but do you want to chance it? $100 now or $1000 later. Those springs are at their maximum for rated lift too. Check their installed height, and if you can, check their seat pressure too.

As for pushrod length. As long as the cam has the stock size base circle and you have not milled the heads the stock 7.400" pushrods should be what you need. It is a good idea to measure with an adjustable pushrod length tool, but most just get the 7.4".

when using an aftermarket camshaft that requires new valvesprings you ALWAYS!!!!!! run hardened/chromoly pushrods. It really doesnt have a lot to do with lift. It has more to do with the agressive ramp rates and the stiffer valve springs.... Do yourself a favor and spend the 100.00. To those that said you could get away with it..... they are sitting in line waiting to pull their engine apart for a stupid failure that they could have prevented.

Edited by Sprayed99 (see edit history)