222/224 Guys Get In Here!

Ok i need to know if this cam on a 112lsa will work with a stock stall. I understand that it is recommended to run a bigger converter and I do plan on going with a 2600 in the future. I also understand that it will feel sluggish down low with the stocker, which is ok, but I plan on running it for a few months. Is this doable or is the truck gona fall on its face? Basicly I need to know exactly what to expect when running this setup.I also do tow occasionaly will this be a problem? And I have the supporting mods for this cam besides the stock tranny.

Define supporting mods.

Any cam will "work" on a stock stall....it just depends on what you want to 60 foot in, 1.8 seconds...or 1.8 minutes. The 222 is a pretty tame cam but the 112 will move the peak power out just a tad. If you could get it on a 114 it might be a touch better and not have such a sweet spot in the power band. If your going to go through the work of putting a stall in, put a real stall in. Call up circle D, tell them how much weight you tow, get a tripple disk and get a 3000. But for the time being, the 222 cam will have a short off time untill around 3000 then take off pretty good. The off time might still be better then stock cam, but if you pay attention to the feel of the truck of a luanch, you should feel when the cam "comes in". I ran a 226 cam for a long time, and it wanted a 3400 stall bad, but i had a PI converter that was tight and only flashed to like 2700-2800, and it was still fun from stop light to stop light...but when i put in a 3800 converter...1.6 60 foot times

You're not gonna put out crazy power or anything and I'm not saying that in a bad way, but I would say the stock trans is not a supporting mod. You're going to want to put a few bucks into the simple things at least. A shift kit and servos are the most common first mods to it. Also a larger trans cooler for the converter and a re-tune. I'm pointing all this out to you because it seems you're trying to this on a tight budget. In which case I say save up and do it right the first time.

Edited by SSplaytoy (see edit history)

Thanks for the help. I understand that you are a very knowledgeable member on here

Don't believe everything you hear.

A 222 cam on a bbk tb and stock intake with no headers may just work on the stock injectors, but a bolt in 42 pound marine injector gives you room to grow. A set of ford SVO green top injectors with the multec to EV1 adapters are then bolt in and will take damn near all your NA needs and even some decent FI needs. You may need to shim the fuel rails on the SVO injectors, but thats as easy as a washer.

Don't believe everything you hear.

Come on Brad, I look to you for real world experience all the time.

A 222 cam on a bbk tb and stock intake with no headers may just work on the stock injectors, but a bolt in 42 pound marine injector gives you room to grow. A set of ford SVO green top injectors with the multec to EV1 adapters are then bolt in and will take damn near all your NA needs and even some decent FI needs. You may need to shim the fuel rails on the SVO injectors, but thats as easy as a washer.

Yea, I would plan for injectors. You may be able to get by with your stockers however if you are going to be shifting over 6K, and you should with that cam, your IDC will ramp quite quickly at that point. To make the most of that cam's powerband, you are going to want to extend your shift points to the point IDC and running less fuel than commanded may be an issue.

Quite honestly, if you are looking for acceleration, a quality 3000 multi-disk lock-up stall converter with your stock cam will get you bigger gains in the 1/4 mile than a stock converter and the 222/224 cam. The higher stall converter will not yield higher HP, just use your current HP/TQ more effectively. A good Circle D 3000 multi-disk will still allow your towing needs however a True-Cool 40k GVW cooler is a very wise investment.

AND, if you do choose to go with the cam down the road, you will be all set-up for it with that converter. With that cam and converter I wouldn't doubt you will pick up .75sec+ on the 1/4 mile.

Just food for thought.

...Oh, don't forget springs with that cam as well. :pepsicheer:

Thanks and I understand I wont be in it for the acceleration with the stock converter. I plan on completely building the tranny next year and thats when I plan on doing a good converter. I have already invested in a TruCool cooler as well so Im hoping my tranny will hold up for the time being. I know this isnt the point of my setup but how much do you think I will pick up in the 1/4 mile with the cam only and no converter. I want to build this truck right and I will with time, but for now I care more about just getting by and occasionaly towing more than all out performance and acceleration.

If you just care about getting by, leave it as it is instead of trying to piece things together through time. Doing a cam swap entails other details as I'm sure you've read, and that is the "correct" way to do it. If you are more concerned about occasionally towing, then trans work should be at the top of your list and it will support the mods you want down the road. I don't know what you plan on towing, but there are some members who have hauled pretty big loads stock without issue. If you need a work horse that's dependable with towing capabilities, try to find yourself an early to mid 90's Dodge with a 12v. You can also use it as your daily and get to work on the SS.

Perhaps I wasnt clear enough with what I said, I maybe tow 10 times a year and the only thing that is is a 21' pontoon boat to the lake or an occasional flatbed trailer, nothing big. I do not need another truck I also have an 86 K2500 with a big block that will pull anything but I only use it on the farm and on heavy loads so its not like frequent towing is a big concern with the SS. Thats why I was leaning on a converter for the future. Until then my tranny holds up just fine now with no issues at all so I see no need to build it up until I have to. With the cam swap I had already planned on on springs and pushrods. So what do you think about this setup for the time being?

I agree. You will be better off waiting until you can get the stall. I already want a bigger stall. And as far as saying your tranny is holding up now so there is no need to upgrade isn't the best thought process, why not make it more stout now instead if waiting for it to break.

you'll be fine running that cam cam on stock stall for the time being. It won't be as fast, but it will be fun. As far as the trans, you may get lucky you may not, you have another truck drive so if it blows you drive that one until you can afford to fix it. I've blown the stock trans, 2 built transmissions and blew up a 3800 converter that did 800 bucks damage to my year old built trans. No guarantee either way.

I ran that cam with (what we eventually found) the stock converter...above 3000 it would scream, and we could not figure out why it would still cut stock 60' times...I would wait and do them together. best I could muster was a 14.2

it will feel kind of laggy w/o the converter, then at 3k it feels like boost kicking in, which is a fine feeling but on the track the dead 60' times negated all the time I picked up on the other end of the track.

do it right the first time or you will be doing it again.

Zippy is running that cam in his Tahoe, but has some converter (I think)