Bad Oil Pump?

After everything is insttalled how do u prime the engine with oil?

turn the key..... actually I unplug the coil packs and turn the key for about 6 secs... I do this 3-4 times then plug the coils in and she should start with pressure. they do have tools to do this, but I have never had any negative effects from doing it this way.

another thing you can do to diagnose this issue is hook up a pressure gauge to verify that the sending unit is reading correct, but if you have audible ticking then is alomost always the oil pump.

:withstupid: I agree with Danny, before tearing down the front of the motor and dropping the oil pan, comfirm there is actually a low or no pressure issue with a mechanical guage first. I just had a 0 oil pressure scare last week with my SS, turned out to be a bad Oil Pressure Switch(pretty easy fix).....

:withstupid: I agree with Danny, before tearing down the front of the motor and dropping the oil pan, comfirm there is actually a low or no pressure issue with a mechanical guage first. I just had a 0 oil pressure scare last week with my SS, turned out to be a bad Oil Pressure Switch(pretty easy fix).....

Fireman that's what I thought at first was wrong but when I began to hear the ticking of the valve train that's when I knew the oil wasn't circulating anymore hence the no oil pressure warning. What should I look for after I take off the pump? What type of wear? I'm going to replace it with the stock ls6 and I'm just going to change the timing chain and sprockets might as well too.

...when I began to hear the ticking of the valve train that's when I knew the oil wasn't circulating anymore ...

Agree with you on this - there was legitimate loss of oil delivery. Replace the pump, and the timing chain & cam sprocket while you are at it.

Mr. P.

Fireman that's what I thought at first was wrong but when I began to hear the ticking of the valve train that's when I knew the oil wasn't circulating anymore hence the no oil pressure warning. What should I look for after I take off the pump? What type of wear? I'm going to replace it with the stock ls6 and I'm just going to change the timing chain and sprockets might as well too.

You probably wont find anything on the pump, and might not even see anything in the pump. One small particle of dirt can wedge the bypass open or closed. And they are very close tolerances. By what you describe it is the pump but also change the oil and filter after. Cut open the filter that is on there and make sure there isnt an abundance of metal shavings in it, or copper looking particles. And when you drop the pan, stick an extendable magnet down in there and make sure there arent any chunks of metal there too.

Well i started tearing into the truck once i got home. i drained the oil and noticed there was very fine metal shavings stuck to the oil drain plug. didnt take off the filter cuz i forgot my filter wrench but will do so tomorrow. what type of pulley puller do you guys use to pull the crank pulley? i had a puller but its the type that you screw in three bolts and you begin to pull it out. this pulley doesnt have those holes to bolt in? my snap-on tool guy is coming down tomorrow, what do you guys suggest?

Well i started tearing into the truck once i got home. i drained the oil and noticed there was very fine metal shavings stuck to the oil drain plug. didnt take off the filter cuz i forgot my filter wrench but will do so tomorrow. what type of pulley puller do you guys use to pull the crank pulley? i had a puller but its the type that you screw in three bolts and you begin to pull it out. this pulley doesnt have those holes to bolt in? my snap-on tool guy is coming down tomorrow, what do you guys suggest?

a very heavy duty 3 jaw puller

Agree with you on this - there was legitimate loss of oil delivery. Replace the pump, and the timing chain & cam sprocket while you are at it.

Mr. P.

has I have corrected someone above. the 05 trucks came with the better timing chain from the factory. I'm still not understanding why everyone has a hard on for changing parts that they have no idea if they are even worn yet.

You need the 3-fingered "GM/Chrysler pulley puller" - if you feel with your fingers there are three small indentations on the back of the pulley (between the spokes, at the hub of the pulley) where the fingers of the tool can rest/tug against; we usually borrow a puller kit for free from Autozone or Oreillys.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

turn the key..... actually I unplug the coil packs and turn the key for about 6 secs... I do this 3-4 times then plug the coils in and she should start with pressure. they do have tools to do this, but I have never had any negative effects from doing it this way.

or just pull the fuel pump fuse.

Ok so i finally had time to finish dissasembly today. took the oil pump off and i was looking at the timing chain. it seems like it has a good amount of play to it. I just dont know if its normal. heres a video.

yup looks like the normal slack they have.