2003 Cc D-Max Power Loss ?

my dad has a 2003 d-max that he had banks put the best package on in 2005 ( engine brakes , 6 gun , exhaust ...etc ..) it cost him around 10k or so back then . truck ran like a champ for a long time and has around 90k on it now i think. the truck has slowly turned into a dog and lacks the power it had . he babies the crap out of it and only drives it maybe once a week. just wondering if any of you guys have an idea of why it has lost power. he has had a CEL light on and was told its just a glow plug code and wasn't nothing to worrie about. thanks for your input in advanced..

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)

when was the last time he had a fuel filter change, and injector's service? his fuel "could" be the issue due to lack of use, and carbon build up. our old trucks at work would start lousing power, and we knew a filter change was needed..that would be the cheap issues to start with, or bad injectors, injector pump, turbo. $$$$$$$

good luck

Edited by desrtrat (see edit history)

im not a big diesel guy but i have a few buddies who drive them and the biggest problem with duramax's is the injectors they start to fail around 100k miles and they r not cheap. my buddie just had his changed at $3700 dollars.

Put a computer on it to see what other codes he may have now and go from there. Does he ever run red diesel?

The fuel filter is in need of a change for sure tho. Check to make sure he didn't blow up the turbo. Dirty injectors or a fouled one would be my guess. If it's the injection pump, he wouldn't be driving it.

Put a computer on it to see what other codes he may have now and go from there. Does he ever run red diesel?

The fuel filter is in need of a change for sure tho. Check to make sure he didn't blow up the turbo. Dirty injectors or a fouled one would be my guess. If it's the injection pump, he wouldn't be driving it.

he runs regular pump diesel , and how do you check the turbo to see if its ok i have never set foot under a hood of a diesel truck hood.

he runs regular pump diesel , and how do you check the turbo to see if its ok i have never set foot under a hood of a diesel truck hood.

Remove the intake tube to reveal the impeller. Check for excess oil build up and for play in the impeller by trying to move it in and out and up and down. There would be signs of wear and damage to the blades and housing where it spins too. He also would have heard a noise coming from it if there was a problem with the turbo, but its an easy thing to check to rule out.

Unfortunately, with all the electronics in the d-max, troubleshooting is best done with a scan tool of some sort where you can have power over engine controls and monitoring.