Whats The Best Programmer For 05 Ss?

i recently bought a 05 ss onyx black, awd, no cats, flomasters,turndowns, volant air intake. the person that had it before me had a lap top program for it but refuses to reprogram the truck for me! (****) just wondering which programmer is best for the truck

i know everyone will disagree with me and ill get bashed but here it goes: i was looking for the same thing about a month ago and there wernt any custom tunes from wheatley or blackbear around my area anytime soon and so i was looking for a programmer. everyone on here will tell you that they are pieces of shit. i ordered a diablo sport predator tuner and im not saying its better than a custom tune but just saying that i am happy with the gain. very noticeable difference and i get around 17mpg when i load in the economy tune (city) and almost 19 highway. again, not saying theyre better everyone here seems to be happy with custom tunes but if u happen to not be able to get to a tuning session i definitely recommend the diablo sport predator tuner

-i should also mention that i got mine for $120 through a buddy of mine who has a speed shop so i got major discount (vs $300) which was better for me than driving 3 hrs to pay for a $250 tune

Edited by SSStreetracer04 (see edit history)

tuners do custom mail order tunes, you dont have to have it done in person. i can promise you that if you went from the diablo to a custom tune from one of the vendors here you would feel a huge gain...just saying

Yeah, I have the AUTO CAL from BB and he is able to studying specifically my trucks logs, then write me a tune and email it back to me. Then, if I don't like some things about it, I can just call/email him and he can change whatever I ask,then email me another one.It's just as good as a In person tune, and being able to change tune for new mods without having to wait is priceless for me.

tuners do custom mail order tunes, you dont have to have it done in person. i can promise you that if you went from the diablo to a custom tune from one of the vendors here you would feel a huge gain...just saying

have you had a programmer before the custom tune on your truck? just because im really happy with the gain I got out of mine and i know everyone goes custom tune but i feel like i gained at least 20-30hp. my 0-60time was cut by .4 s from stock with just the chip from diablo sport

just wondering, what kind of hp gains do u get from a custom tune, is it more than that and can they change shift points?

Edited by SSStreetracer04 (see edit history)

I had a diablo sport tune in my ss and i hated it. I got the Black bear tune and it has way WAY more power then the diablo. Also I had the tow/haul button deactivated and thats my RACE mode.

Plus the tuner can do more then the Diablo tune.. With the diablo tune I ran 14.9 15, with the tune and 100K I ran 14.5- 14.6!!!

have you had a programmer before the custom tune on your truck? just because im really happy with the gain I got out of mine and i know everyone goes custom tune but i feel like i gained at least 20-30hp. my 0-60time was cut by .4 s from stock with just the chip from diablo sport

just wondering, what kind of hp gains do u get from a custom tune, is it more than that and can they change shift points?

with HPT or EFI live you can basically re-write the entire calibration they also have other base OS that you can you use. So the short answer to your question is yes and a shit ton more. the handheld tuners are total junk. 19mpg on the highway isn't really a gain at all. To prove your 20-30hp gain it would take a real dyno not a seat of the pants dyno. The only thing you are feeling is a higher shift points a snatch hair in timing. Not to mention under WOT the handhelds dump a shit ton on fuel which is costing you in more than the wallet.

I have a s-10 with a 5.3L in it with Z06 valvetrain and it weighs about 3400-3550lbs add me 215 and another 1000lbs in the bed and 27" tall tires. I got 25+mpg at 75-80mph from OKC to DFW. Now thats from a quality calibration using HPT. Tell me what handheld will do anything near that?

also comparing times is a huge variable being as they weren't done back to back. Their tons of factors that change hour to hour when drag racing.

Edited by Retired99 (see edit history)

A few years ago I compared a Hypercrap handheld programmer and a Wheatley mail order tune on the dyno, my only other mods at the time were a K&N FIPK and a GMPP cat-back........

Hypercrap programmer

294rwhp, 342rwtq

Wheatley tune

314rwhp/360rwtq

......the proof is in the pudding, programmers still leave alot on the table. :takealook:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

A few years ago I compared a Hypercrap handheld programmer and a Wheatley mail order tune on the dyno, my only other mods at the time were a K&N FIPK and a GMPP cat-back........

Hypercrap programmer

294rwhp, 342rwtq

Wheatley tune

314rwhp/360rwtq

......the proof is in the pudding, programmers still leave alot on the table. :takealook:

and this is a mail order example.... you can squeeze a bit more out with live tuning, autocal, or having your own software to email logs back and forth.

I never question the veterans here (such as retired99 or Fireman31), but damn we need to make this a sticky as this question is asked alot. And I was always wondering what a handheld vs. custom tune and what the differences in hp and tq would show. Thank you Dan for those numbers. -Andrew :chevrolet::pepsicheer:

and this is a mail order example.... you can squeeze a bit more out with live tuning, autocal, or having your own software to email logs back and forth.

I am glad you mentioned that Danny, I have more numbers for you all. With LT headers and a stall added, plus an optimized tune(lots of logging and e-mailing), my truck put down.....

329rwhp/364rwtq, which converts to 401/443 off the crankshaft

....lets see a Diablosuck/Superjunk/Hypercrap put those kind of numbers down....

I am glad you mentioned that Danny, I have more numbers for you all. With LT headers and a stall added, plus an optimized tune(lots of logging and e-mailing), my truck put down.....

329rwhp/364rwtq, which converts to 401/443 off the crankshaft

....lets see a Diablosuck/Superjunk/Hypercrap put those kind of numbers down....

you also have to remeber that with larger converters a dyno can show a loss in power. So yes Dan the handhelds are for schmucks that don't know any better.