Cat replacement

Bill, you still havent gotten your truck running right? To bad I'm not in Maine anymore, I got my tuned PCM today and will install it tonight, a trip to the NEDragway for a rematch would have been fun. But, I know you, you would have sprayed to win even if it ment you riding back to Maine in the SS! :jester::lol:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forget the simulators, if you have tuning capability, then you should be able to turn off the rear O2 sensors. Very mixed results on the O2 sims. Most don't work as advertised.

I don't think i'am capable of tuning (yet) :D

But i have hptuners working. It's not that easy for someone

who has english as second language.

Can i just turn off the O2 sensors?

Forget the simulators, if you have tuning capability, then you should be able to turn off the rear O2 sensors.  Very mixed results on the O2 sims.  Most don't work as advertised.

Yes.

Somewhere in your HPT file there should be a table or list of engine hardware diagnostic tests. You need to go in and turn off all of the (bank1 and bank2) sensor 2 tests (set to type X = off) and the p0420 and p0430 catalyst efficiency tests. You should be good to go after that.

So, you read the current flash file; change the O2 sensor tests and save as a new file; then flash the new file into the PCM.

Yes, Deezel, i found it "engine diagnostic" "DTC'S" 420 and 430 for bank 2.

I gave them error mode 3 (no error reported) and put SES Enabled to off.

Tonight will flash it to VCM.

One downside, i can use my SSS only offroad, maybe better there are no traficjam's :jester::D:jester:

• 3 weeks later...
Forget the simulators, if you have tuning capability, then you should be able to turn off the rear O2 sensors.  Very mixed results on the O2 sims.  Most don't work as advertised.

You speak (or at least write) English better than many of those who have it as their first language.... :cheers:

Chiel, if you'd like, send me your latest HPT bin (or your stock read) and I'll turn off all the secondary O2 stuff for you and send it back (I forget the DTCs). I can also send you a good NA starting point for your tune if you'd rather have that and don't have the vortech on yet. You've turned off those two codes (420 and 430) correctly in HPT.

BTW, getting started with HPT isn't easy for someone who's native language is English, so don't sweat it ;)

Chiel, if you'd like, send me your latest HPT bin (or your stock read) and I'll turn off all the secondary O2 stuff for you and send it back (I forget the DTCs).  I can also send you a good NA starting point for your tune if you'd rather have that and don't have the vortech on yet.  You've turned off those two codes (420 and 430) correctly in HPT.

BTW, getting started with HPT isn't easy for someone who's native language is English, so don't sweat it  ;)

Thanks, i haven't seen any DTC (knock on wood) so i think code 420 and 430 is enough, any reason why i (or you) should turn off the secondary o2 stuff?

Now today i tryed to work with the scanner, but i couldn't make a log, i did "start logging" and after a while "stop logging" but after this nothing happened and i can't find a logfile. If i am correct you can also see the last part of your scan but that didn't work either. :confused: Any tips?

You speak (or at least write) English better than many of those who have it as their first language.... :cheers:

So school wasn't comepletely useless after all :lol:

I infected a neigbour at work, so now he has an Avalanche :thumbs: with the 8.1 and 8-lug wheels. Do you know a good website for Avy's? He would like 20" wheels and paint the plastic or take it off (how?).

Any advise is helpfull.

So school wasn't comepletely useless after all :lol:

I infected a neigbour at work, so now he has an Avalanche :thumbs: with the 8.1 and 8-lug wheels. Do you know a good website for Avy's? He would like 20" wheels and paint the plastic or take it off (how?).

Any advise is helpfull.

I was looking for the article from a magazine that discussed prepping the cladding for paint but couldn't find it. Found a couple of things along the way.

Here are some for sale

http://dealershipdesigns.com/avalanche.html

avalanchesmall.jpg

Here's a forum

http://www.clubavalanche.com/

Chiel, if you'd like, send me your latest HPT bin (or your stock read) and I'll turn off all the secondary O2 stuff for you and send it back (I forget the DTCs).  I can also send you a good NA starting point for your tune if you'd rather have that and don't have the vortech on yet.  You've turned off those two codes (420 and 430) correctly in HPT.

BTW, getting started with HPT isn't easy for someone who's native language is English, so don't sweat it  ;)

Thanks, i haven't seen any DTC (knock on wood) so i think code 420 and 430 is enough, any reason why i (or you) should turn off the secondary o2 stuff?

Now today i tryed to work with the scanner, but i couldn't make a log, i did "start logging" and after a while "stop logging" but after this nothing happened and i can't find a logfile. If i am correct you can also see the last part of your scan but that didn't work either. :confused: Any tips?

I turned off all the stuff in preparation for wideband logging. If you are leaving the O2s where they are, you're fine.

The scanner is another one of those things that you just have to know how to use :)

To start scanning, you press the blue triangle (play button), to log you press the red circle (record button) but you have to stop logging and go to the scan menu item, and save it, and then export it if you want to open it in MS Excel. If you open the table view, you will see a bunch things to log, and you can left click, then right click to delete and insert differt PIDs to log. To play back your scan, make sure one is loaded, and press the green triangle to the right of the red circle. Very user friendly :rolleyes:

So school wasn't comepletely useless after all  :lol:

I infected a neigbour at work, so now he has an Avalanche :thumbs:  with the 8.1 and 8-lug wheels. Do you know a good website for Avy's? He would like 20" wheels and paint the plastic or take it off (how?).

Any advise is helpfull.

I was looking for the article from a magazine that discussed prepping the cladding for paint but couldn't find it. Found a couple of things along the way.

Here are some for sale

http://dealershipdesigns.com/avalanche.html

avalanchesmall.jpg

Here's a forum

http://www.clubavalanche.com/

Thanks for the advise :thumbs:

The scanner is another one of those things that you just have to know how to use :)

To start scanning, you press the blue triangle (play button), to log you press the red circle (record button) but you have to stop logging and go to the scan menu item, and save it, and then export it if you want to open it in MS Excel.  If you open the table view, you will see a bunch things to log, and you can left click, then right click to delete and insert differt PIDs to log.  To play back your scan, make sure one is loaded, and press the green triangle to the right of the red circle.  Very user friendly  :rolleyes:

Thanks, i have now 2 1/4mile runs logged.

I see 2 things:

1:i am in drive at wot: when shifting from 1 to 2 TP(throttleposition) goes (automatic?) from 99% to 38%.

2: 2.5 KR at 3500rpm in 1st declining to sero KR at 4800 rpm in second.

1.0 KR at 5550rpm in 2nd declining to sero KR at 1850 rpm in 3th.

Need more data?

Anybody advise?

Thanks Chiel

Archived