Exhaust Mod For 6.0L

1500VHO

Hi,

Ok... I think I've decided on the exhaust system for my 1500 VHO. After looking at, listening to, and comparing prices I've decided (fingers crossed) to go with the Magnaflow system #15838. It's a dual inlet, single passenger side outlet. The sound seems deep and low enough at idle with no annoying popping on revving up like FMs. Also from what I've heard on uTube the interior noise seems almost stock. I don't want the annoying resonance that Flowmasters give at certain RPM's. I have owned several Flowmaster muffler combo's (40's, 44's and 50's) in the past, but all give a rather annoying resonance in the cab or interior. They sound great, but that interior drone I can live without....

Some of my thinking process. The Magnaflow's have a lower idle rumble (I like). No popping on rev up, totally Stainless Steel construction, Lifetime warranty, low interior cab noise. No interior drone! They are a bit more expensive, but I can live with that...

The question. Does anyone have opinions or experiences with Corsa or Borla exhaust systems, before I make my purchase??

Thanks in advance... :-)

Corsa and Borla expensive stuff butt everybody says no drone in the cab so if thats what you want get it. i got dual 40s but Im about to get 2 single chamber flowmasters i dont mind the drone thats just me.

Thanks Superchevy!!

That's what I thought as well... Those exhaust systems are expensive... The flowmasters on my old 1990 and 1994 C/K trucks were Ok. One was the 44's and the other the 50 series. But at 60mph or so, the drone over time was annoying to me. I've gottem older (wink, wink) and I like the interior quietness of my 2005 Silverado1500. The wife and I can hold a decent conversation now... :-) When I was younger Flowmasters were the ultimate. Now not so much.... Sorry I'm showing my age ;-)

I had a Gibson Dual Sport aluminized system on my VHO. Dual in dual out in the stock location, with nice tips too.

They offer a stainless system too, but very pricey. You can go to the Gibson website and listen to sound clips too.

She sounded great, no drone. It was only loud when I had "my foot in it". Even then it didn't scream at you... :thumbs:

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)

Thanks Everybody!! I really appreciate the input... I have not purchased anything yet...

Now based on some of your opinions, I might look for either the Flowmaster 50 series "Big Block" which fit the truck and suppose to have less drone on the highway. I was also thinkging of the 70 series Big Block II. They have a resonance killer chamber, but I don't know if they'll fit....

Corsa is a great choice. But where I live no one installs or sells. The Gibson exhaust is also a maybe. Again no one sells or intalls aroung the Ludington area of Michigan. You folks in the "Big" cities have it made!!!

Take care and keep those opinions coming... :-) I'm looking for that right sound with No interior noise. Outside I don't care. Inside must be quiet at freeway speeds, with or without trailer behind me...

If you have experience with VHO type truck, please let me know!

I had a Gibson Dual Sport aluminized system on my VHO. Dual in dual out in the stock location, with nice tips too.

They offer a stainless system too, but very pricey. You can go to the Gibson website and listen to sound clips too.

She sounded great too, no drone. It was only loud when I had "my foot in it". Even then it didn't scream at you... :thumbs:

You state that you "had" a Gibson exhaust. Did you change it out, or sell the truck. Just curious... Keeping the stock pipes is of interest to me. I currently have duals in and single out...

Corsa sport! SOOOO worth it! It is exactly like everyone says it is, mean at WOT but nice and quiet at idle/cruising speed! No drone too.

Upon your recommendation I visited the Corsa web site and listened to their sound clips. Wow!! If what they say is true, (and it sounds like it!) then this is the system for me. Now do I get the Sport system as you state, or the touring system??

So many things to think about and learn...

Thanks again for your tip! thumb.gif

Upon your recommendation I visited the Corsa web site and listened to their sound clips. Wow!! If what they say is true, (and it sounds like it!) then this is the system for me. Now do I get the Sport system as you state, or the touring system??

So many things to think about and learn...

Thanks again for your tip! thumb.gif

it does actually sound like the clips too. I only have cat back still have stock exhaust manifolds and stuff and tis somewhat loud. I like it loud though so i would reccomend sport. Pretty curious how much louder it will get with LT headers and no cats.

Install is really easy actually don't worry about professional install. It is easier if you have access to a lift though.

Edited by ThatTallCanadian (see edit history)

Ok... After some more searching and talking to a Corsa rep...

Corsa makes a dB series exhaust system that is made out of 409 stainless vs 304 stainless on their more expensive systems. It's a $525.00 dB system (24279) vs a $810.00 Sport system (14224). Mufflers are the same 304 Stainless according to the rep. Pipes, clamps and exhaust tip being 304 stainless is not the same. See picture attachments:

The dB system is there to compete with Magnaflow and Flowmaster pricing. Wow! I'm sold.... I'll buy a different looking exhaust tip and be in business.

Difference between 304 SS and 409 SS? Glad you asked. Metallurgical - the difference is in chromium/nickel content, along with manufacturing processes.

Look wise here's a link: http://www.pypesexha...less-steel.html

304ss will look better (shine more) and will not surface rust like 409ss. But since the Corsa muffler and tips are made of 304ss, no problems there. GM, Ford and Mopar use 409SS on their stock systems if they are stainless steel...

So I'm buying a Corsa dB system for $525.00 at AutoAnything. I'll get a different looking 304ss tip later, maybe...

For the record - You folks have been great!!! Thanks a million! pepsicheer.gif

BTW - Before I get the system installed and after, I'll take pictures and sound recordings of stock vs Corsa....

As for the pictures. (They are correct now) My Bad. Copied wrong pics from Corsa web site...

First is of $525.00 system. Notice exhaust tip (Single type - 304ss), clamps and head pipes 409ss. Second is Sport system. Pipes are of 304ss and exhaust tip is Dual type 304ss. But is $285.00 more!!!

post-22597-092002600 1304309194_thumb.jpg

post-22597-002283500 1304309238_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1500VHO (see edit history)

the db is quieter isn't it? I'd stick witha sport but that is just my opinion

Hi TTC,

According to the E-mail I recieved, the Sport and dB are the same. The dB muffler might be out of 409ss as well... The first generation of dB's were 304ss. Corsa did make a manufacturing change..

So to your question - The sound "should be" the same, because the internal design is the same. At least I hope so...

Also the dB system only has a 10 year warranty. unsure.gif The Sport system has a Lifetime warranty...

BTW - As a price comparison. The magnaflow system I was going to buy was $533.00 So I get a better system, for less money!!! thumb.gif

Edited by 1500VHO (see edit history)

I ran a 50 series Big Block Slowmaster on my 1st SS. It was a dual 3" inet w single 3.5" outlet. I directly replaced just the mufflers and had a lot of drone. On my 2nd SS I ran a 22" Mag. same size and scenario and even more drone. Now I have true dual 18" Mags positioned with the oval facing side to side instead of up and down like both previous and no drone at all. From my expereince which seems similar to what you're doing, positioning the muffler will determine drone. I have a louder system now with less drone cuz of the way the mufflers are positioned.

Edited by Bad aSS Silvy (see edit history)

You state that you "had" a Gibson exhaust. Did you change it out, or sell the truck. Just curious... Keeping the stock pipes is of interest to me. I currently have duals in and single out...

I sold my VHO.... :closedeyes:

I installed the Gibson system in the driveway too, all without air tools. Took less than 2.5 hours. I was able to keep my full sized spare tire under the back too... :thumbsup:

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)