04 Vho With Over 100K Miles With Cam, Longtubes, Stall, Intake, Etc...

matt 2k12

Hi yall. My question is really about what starts to fail on these trucks at this age, or what do I need to start looking at replacing inside the motor, on the body, everywhere. This truck still runs good but it has been ridden hard over its life, it's previous owners are all my friends, so I know the history. Everything seems fine on her though, I just want to know what to prepare for as far as general maintenance... Is there a weak part internally or anything like that...

Thanks in advance!

TRANNY, any shift kit or servo upgrades? cooler? if not id consider either investing in some transmission upgrades or maybe a built trany

The tranny is actually a 4L60E from a 2000 Sierra that was rebuilt with some "nice parts" per instructions of the VHO guru down in Houston... So the tranny has been at least mildly or partially built. It uses the same parts that the guru uses in all his VHO trannys.

Previous tranny was blown up while using N2O, so...

id try to get some more info about whats actually been done to it

Here is the tranny info:

Trans Go HD2 kit

Aftermarket pump slide spring

Sonex Servo Release Valve

Sonex smart Shell

New Valve Body Plate

Torlon check balls

Corvette Servos

Alto hi-energy clutches

3-4 clutch is Alto Red Eagle

Kevlar Band

Here is the tranny info:

Trans Go HD2 kit

Aftermarket pump slide spring

Sonex Servo Release Valve

Sonex smart Shell

New Valve Body Plate

Torlon check balls

Corvette Servos

Alto hi-energy clutches

3-4 clutch is Alto Red Eagle

Kevlar Band

and 3500 stall

• 2 weeks later...

OK this is going to be a little bit of tough medicine, but: I think you bought a truck with a 4L65 which was modified by a builder that did not know what they were doing, 3500 stall is way too high except for a purpose-built competition race truck, I bet that truck's city mileage is in the crapper and the ATF temps through the roof.

100K-miles checklist -

I would assume nothing, meaning I would replace all fluids and filters immediately upon buying a used vehicle. I would also replace the spark plugs, and optionally the plug wires depending on how they looked and how the motor was running. Install a Mobile-1 or K&N or Purolator Pure-One (their most expensive) filter and 5W-30 synthetic oil. Verify that the truck has 40-psi oil pressure at cold start, and at 3000-RPM you are making at least 60-psi and at 6000 you should be able to peg the oil pressure gauge (my truck has 90K on it and the oil pressure still acts like this). Internally, the only thing to replace at that age is the timing chain and cam pulley, you will pick-up a little MPG and inch of vacuum at idle. Identify all leaks, again my 90K truck I have not turned a single screw on it except to add headers and it is completely clean and leak-free, yours should be too. Body, wash out the sand behind the plastic front wheel-wells, and this is hard to do but shoot a high-pressure wash up into the backside of the bed stake pockets, sand/dirt gets trapped in there over time.

All that is secondary. I personally think you bought a transmission basket case, not bagging on you because I promise you I've lived my share of 4L60 problems. Get that trans to a qualified performance builder, and replace that converter for a 2800-RPM unit and get a GOOD performance tune and that truck will get great DD mileage as well as performance. I know the trans issues suck, but I would not abandon the truck, I would fix the trans right because the rest of it will outlast you if cared for; you don't have the front axle & transfer case issues the rest of us have to suffer!!

Mr. P.

And as you live in Odessa - put a REAL transmissoin cooler on it (TruCool Max).

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

A few other things to consider....

-inspect Serpentine and AC Compressor belts for cracks/fraying

-inspect all Coolant and Heater Hoses for cracks

-replace thermostat if it is the original

-clean Throttle Body and Mass Airflow Sensor

• I ordered a "24k lb" cooler today from a local tranny shop. I don't know if you saw in the other thread that sometimes a blown transmission will cause debris to clog the cooler and it is unclean-able... I am still running this cooler from the blown tranny.
  • I have seen some coolant leaks from the radiator but it is nothing like cracks, more like just seepage over time. the leaks dont seem to be anywhere near the transmission lines...
  • In diagnosing this problem I ran new Castrol synthetic dex 6 tranny fluid, new filter, new A & B shift & EPC solenoids.
  • mileage is in the crapper city, highway, everywhere! It is worse than my "garage queen"!
  • I am totally new at this "electronic transmission" stuff. I am just ignorant and oblivious so any and all help is appreciated!

Well this truck had blown the original transmission and this is a 4l60E from a 2000 GMC Sierra, rebuilt to these specs listed above, per the "VHO guru" in Houston

I have faith in the builder of the transmission as I know him personally. He has built many many many transmissions over the years but that is not to say that he couldnt have made a mistake. It happens to all of us.

Thank you for your informative and helpful posts. I have been in communications with Phoenix Transmissions in Weatherford TX looking at a custom built 4L60E for this truck, if / when this tranny goes.

I have parked the truck until I can install the cooler at the very least. If that doesnt fix my problem I will start looking at more serious, permanent fixes... Trust me, I am not going to abandon it because i have a loan on it! this is just a frustrating additional expense to what was supposed to be my "daily driver"

Yeah that's a shame because VHOs are really good trucks; very sorry you got saddled with a problem-child. You definitely need to replace the converter, it is using so much fuel that it would probably be cheaper in the long run to pay $750 for the right converter rather than all the added expense of sub-12 MPG. I know that Phoenix is a popular builder here in the area, I am not aware of their reputation for transmission builds, I do know that their converters are priced competitively however not as efficient or reliable as a TCS, Circle-D, or Vigilante. If you do consider driving all the way over to 'amost' DFW for trans work then you might consider driving another 45-minutes and bringing it to Jerry, PM me if you want more details.

Mr. P.