"tip in" KR advice?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe I am seeing tip in KR.  Basically, if I floor it, I get KR (up to 9* retard).  If I roll into it at the same RPM and temps, etc.  No KR.

Is that "tip in" KR?  If so, how does I stomp its a*(# out of existence?

Who's doing your tuning ? That much KR is not good. You can break things very quickly. I'd call your tuner and have him get things in order..

What is your Map to Enable set at?

and PE delay (Count & RPM) ?

If your doing your own tuning and asking... you could be asking for trouble :eek:

Using HP Tuners, so the names are a bit different...

Enable MAP = 55 (Hysterisis = 6)

Mode Delay RPM = 5500

Enrichment Rate = 0.0195 (is this what you meant by count?)

I only see this KR (and until yesterday it was always <4*) if I stomp on it. It I roll it up to WOT, its fine. I also see something similar on downshifts, unless I pull the selector into third first :crazy:

Hmmm... Should I be setting the delay to be closer boost rpm?

Mode Delay RPM = 5500

Enrichment Rate = 0.0195  (is this what you meant by count?)

I only see this KR (and until yesterday it was always <4*) if I stomp on it.  It I roll it up to WOT, its fine.  I also see something similar on downshifts, unless I pull the selector into third first  :crazy:

Hmmm...  Should I be setting the delay to be closer boost rpm?

Do you still have the stock pistons? If you do #7 isn't very forgiving to a lean condition from what I've seen.

There are some good threads on LS1 Tech about the features your asking questions about. While the Edit vs HP Tuners may have slightly different ways of dealing with the same tables most the information about edit should cross over.

One thing for sure you've got bbbtshirtfront.jpg

Learning to tune on a FI motor :jester:

Mode Delay RPM = 5500

Enrichment Rate = 0.0195  (is this what you meant by count?)

I only see this KR (and until yesterday it was always <4*) if I stomp on it.  It I roll it up to WOT, its fine.  I also see something similar on downshifts, unless I pull the selector into third first  :crazy:

Hmmm...  Should I be setting the delay to be closer boost rpm?

Do you still have the stock pistons? If you do #7 isn't very forgiving to a lean condition from what I've seen.

There are some good threads on LS1 Tech about the features your asking questions about. While the Edit vs HP Tuners may have slightly different ways of dealing with the same tables most the information about edit should cross over.

One thing for sure you've got bbbtshirtfront.jpg

Learning to tune on a FI motor :jester:

Yah, I've taken great strides to ensure I am not lean. My first WOTs were all negative spark and floating in fuel :) Oh yah, I am on stock slugs, but am never at full boost and lean. The most boost I have at tip in is 2psi or so. Still gives me a little stutter in my strut to think of 9* KR, but those runs were with my wife in the passenger seat staring at the KR line and yelling "KR!!"

BTW, I set my delay to 3000 this am. Almost no tip in in any condition and the highest tip KR in was 4.5*, but it was also almost like a winter day - 80* because of rain. I think I need to bump the rate up to assist. I was finally able to see how little timing I am actually running. My max timing under boost was 1* :crazy: If I can just get a handle on the tip in, I'll finally be ready to get my WOT timing to a "normal" level. As it is right now, I move better at 75% throttle than WOT :)

I have tuned before. Just very different circumstances and on a built NA motor with EFI and a distributor -- muuuuuch easier and at that time there was no obfuscation -- everything was edited in a hex editor :D

About the brass accessories... Well, I am Norwegian :thumbs::smash::smash:

Might have this nailed...

lean on tip in at Hp Tuners forum

Summary

-- check VE tables - MAF has a slight delay in adjusting for the new flow and so the PCM relies on the VE table at tip in

-- adjust Burst KR to cover the lean hole (don't like the sound of that...)

Burst KR = when the computer predicts that timing will need to be pulled. It isn't technically knock retard because the computer pulls it in anticipation of knock.

The ONE thread on LS1TECH that search returns on "tip in KR" :) (search feature over there is extremely broken -- doesn't do phrase based or boolean search)

Summary

-- May need to lower when PE is enabled vs TPS (did this already -- but may need to go lower. Currently at 80% from 3k up. May need to drop to 2800 to be prep'd for full boost but if I go much lower, mpg and part throttle will suck...) I think the VE option is better. All I need to do is completely figure out the VE table in HPT as it seems no one who understands who it works posts :)

Can't find anything else :cry: Is it appropriate to blame Ben for this? :flag:

Random things from the web:

Knock Retard:

The table also shows the number of occurrences of KR when above 3.5 degrees and the average value of your KR as a reference without having to sort through the data. Small KR values (below 4) can be considered insignificant.

??!!??

You can blame me if you want to. :rolleyes:

I have never seen my O2s drop below 910mv, just as a frame of reference with the Radix and numerous hours of logging. From what I have read, 900-920 is where you want to stay for rough tuning. Of course you can get closer with a wideband. I'll rent my wideband to you for $30 a day. :D Got to pay for my motor somehow.

There's an AWD dyno in Tampa? I go there on occasion. Me and the wife have friends there. Can it handle the 143" wheelbase, or have you researched it that much?

Archived