converting to a 4L80E?

:jester: , you can quit pettin' the kitty now. :jester:

I won't say what we used to call that. :D

Yeah, if I didn't find a shop that I could have trusted, at least to some degree, I would have put a FLP in there. There is no magic in the parts, but at least some in the expertise to build.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is an important side to both of your cases jason and ben. ben, you found a guy who know's his way around a trans pretty well. once you get the right parts, it's pretty much just knowing how to properly assemble it all. even without having the clearances perfect, with the right parts it will take some decent abuse. as for jason's side of it, i know what you mean as i run into that on a regular basis. this is where your points combine. ben did the research when he bought the parts based on research that places like rossler and flp have already done. his may not be 100% the same as their stuff, but it's easy to learn from the bigger companies. the problem with "joe blow" (no offense to the joe we know :jester: ) is that what they consider as a performance build is usually some half ass'd shift kit that they don't install right with clutches and band they've heard works well because some guy once told them they were the way to go. not only do most transmission shops not do research on anything for performance, but most i've found that charge for what they call a "performance build" is barely better than stock if at all. if you do the research first and bring in the parts you want installed, you are way closer to having the much higher priced trans quality with the lower price.

• 1 month later...

I hate to beat a old horse, but what did everyone do or are doing?

So Erik went to FLP........

Did W2W ever come out with one?

I have a tranny shop that's doing an 4L80E for an 408 blown 600+rwhp....

I think a new tranny will be in the near future......

Jeff, have you seen the posts on ls1tech by 2toneblown? This guy has a shop about 25-30miles from me and put a 4L80E behind his Radixed 5.3L for a while. I was there when they first strapped it to the dyno after installing the 80 - and broke the driveshaft on the third pull. They worked out most of the fitment and tuning issues, but he was never satisfied with the shift quality or the performance. This was with about 400-450rwhp on a RCSB truck. Perhaps the gear ratios are unfavorable. Perhaps the 80, even with a shift kit/mild build, still consumes too much extra hp. I think he's going to a built TH400 and a blown 408. Hard to tell much from this since he keeps changing his setup...

On the other hand, it seems like parish8 was doing pretty well with a stock 80 in his monster turbo truck. Perhaps he is a better example for you considering the hp range you'll be working with. I guess if you can get used to the first gear ratio of the 80 it should probably work - and you might still have a tuning issue with the AWD versus 4WD tunes (so far it seems like a 4WD, 4L80E, tune would be needed with some way to trick the sensor for the transfer case...)

Good luck with your monster motor. :D:thumbs:

On the other hand, it seems like parish8 was doing pretty well with a stock 80 in his monster turbo truck.  Perhaps he is a better example for you considering the hp range you'll be working with.  I guess if you can get used to the first gear ratio of the 80 it should probably work - and you might still have a tuning issue with the AWD versus 4WD tunes (so far it seems like a 4WD, 4L80E, tune would be needed with some way to trick the sensor for the transfer case...)

Good luck with your monster motor.  :D  :thumbs:

I am almost positive that parish already blew up a 4L80E. I think that he is on a built one now.

Aaron

• 1 month later...

I also posted this in the first 4l80e conversion incase anyone misses it!

(My question to NVG)

I'm curious if this transfer case is made to mate up with the 4l80e trans or

if there is an adapter so it can be made to mate to the 4l80e trans?

Thanks a lot,

Jon

(NVG's answer)

It would need a new input gear.

(my next question)

Is that input gear for mating the 4l80e to the nv149 transfer case something

you guys would sell or would it be the same gear as in say like a 2500hd 4x4

chevy truck with a 4l80e?

(NVG answer)

It would be the same gear as in say

like a 2500hd 4x4 chevy truck with a 4l80e.

This info was provided to me by ([email protected])

Please let me know if this helps you guys I have big plans such as a twin turbo 408 stroker with a 4l80e and I may soon have good connections with NVG.

JON :)

Ken e-mailed me and he is still calling it an input gear he gave me part #32476 and here are 2 places which are NVG aftermarket distributors.

All Transmission 1-800-237-8601

Midwest transmission 1-888-824-2012

I'm going to try and call tomarrow to see what they have to say and get a price.

Archived