converting to a 4L80E?

Hey Sinister, your V was built on my birthday. Doesn't that make you want to give the car to me? :jester:

So the tuning bit could be accomplished pretty easily (well... easier than from 0) given the file. The problem still seems to be the AWD transfer case.

So, AT newb questions here:

Why can't the 80E shaft be replaced with a shaft from the 65E? Not strong enough?

Could the existing 80E shaft be retooled by a machinist to match the AWD Xfer?

(last one I promise) Why can't the AWD Xfer case be modded to accept the bigger unit

Thanks for all the input so far!! :thumbs:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Instead of a 4L80, if I were McGivering a new transmission install, a nice, "prepped" T-56 would go in the SS. Real gears > slush box.

Yah, I thought about that. I wanted to look at the 80E idea first, because in general, at to at swaps are easier than at to mt swaps.

Anyone know if the T56 shaft would work with the transfer case?

For the T-56, a different tailshaft housing would most likely be needed to mate up to the transfer case. The T-56 output shaft diameter and splines are the same as a 4L60E.

For T-56 or 4L80 trans swap, probably wouldn't hurt to contact a company like Advanced Adapters and pick their brains. For some $$$, I'm sure they could make up a transmission swap kit for either one.

That posted file is for an ATC transfer case. Its going to be looking for the motor encoder on the autotrac transfer case which the AWD case doesnt have. I have an 03 file from an 6L HD 2WD, which may work just fine since its not autotrac.

Could the existing 80E shaft be retooled by a machinist to match the AWD Xfer?

I've been talking to others to see if this is possible. I know of a couple of people who were working in this direction. I don't think anyone had made it happen yet. Its all a function of money. If you want it bad enough, someone will make it happen for the right amount of $$$.

There are company's that make the output shafts for 4L80E's to work where a 4L60E was. There are a couple Syclones that converted to T-400's and 4L80E's and they got kits that included the right output shaft and adapter plate to bolt up to the stock AWD transfercase.

Here is one site that lists a 700r4 to T-400(4L80E) conversion kits.

http://www.fbperformance.com/transmissions...o_ss_turbo.html

As well I know Rossler built a 4L80e with the proper shaft and adapter

for one of the guys to bolt in place of the 700r4.

I will do some more research and post where they got them.

Nolan

There are company's that make the output shafts for 4L80E's to work where a 4L60E was. There are a couple Syclones that converted to T-400's and 4L80E's and they got kits that included the right output shaft and adapter plate to bolt up to the stock AWD transfercase.

Here is one site that lists a 700r4 to T-400(4L80E) conversion kits.

http://www.fbperformance.com/transmissions...o_ss_turbo.html

As well I know Rossler built a 4L80e with the proper shaft and adapter

for one of the guys to bolt in place of the 700r4.

I will do some more research and post where they got them.

Nolan

:cool: , but the call for pricing worries me. :eek: $$$$$

• 2 weeks later...

The new version of the 60E (1999+) has a differnet spline count on the output shaft than the older 60s and 700s. I know that 427 has Rossler do his transmission work and was really wanting to get an 80E installed, but they didn't have anything setup to make the swap work.

I'd be very interested in trying out a conversion if the parts were made.

I spoke with Jim at Advanced Adaptors today. Basically, he doesn't know of anyone making a kit for the SSS yet, and has no immediate plans to do so. He says eventually there will be a market for the kits, but right now... nada.

He also said that if GM every made a 4L80E application that was AWD or had a transfer case of about the same dimensions and specs, that GM has the gear or input shaft we'd need. We just need to find the part numbers.

He also said that the T56 is probably a no go (2wd transmission with the wrong kind of shaft, wrong tail, etc.).

Being that the 4L80E or the T56 are most likely custom jobs at this point, he suggested an Art Carr build up of the 65E, although I can only find 60E parts and no overall buildup kits for that tran.

I started a new thread on the search for the input gear or output shaft issue here.

i'll see what i can come up with for the parts you're looking for, but i'd recomend giving rossler a call on the subject. even if they aren't familier with what you'd need to do to pull that off, they are the best in my opinion to build you a 4L65E to hold up.

I have a friend here in town who works at a very large machine shop. He told me that he could make anything there if he had the specs. He is actually a big supplier of oil catch cans on LS1 Tech. If someone had, or could come up with some exact specs on the output shaft he might be willing to try to make one. I see him make all sorts of cool stuff all the time. He is a Grand National guy, and he has made some cool stuff for his car there too.

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

Archived