converting to a 4L80E?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i'd like to find out how they did that on this truck...

link to gm 4L80E AWD truck

New Venture gear made us a special transfercase to mate those two together.

Kurt

Kurt, I assume you have checked with NV for an adapter for your truck. My guess is thats a one off production part.

How was the output shaft / T-case size and spline issue resolved on the Coolside project?

Side note - I think Todd Brandon made a poor employment decision. Sounded like a dream job for us GM nuts.

Richard

i'd like to find out how they did that on this truck...

link to gm 4L80E AWD truck

New Venture gear made us a special transfercase to mate those two together.

Kurt

Kurt, I assume you have checked with NV for an adapter for your truck. My guess is thats a one off production part.

How was the output shaft / T-case size and spline issue resolved on the Coolside project?

Side note - I think Todd Brandon made a poor employment decision. Sounded like a dream job for us GM nuts.

Richard

Tex,

The female spline on the transfer case is a one off part. It's not available to purchase.

My SS has one of the parts thats not available.

Todd is a great guy, he went to the better weather.

Kurt

That is a very cool PU truck. They are changing it over to Big Stuff 3 controls so they can run it harder.

Kurt

what is that?

It is a aftermarket controller that will run a gen 3 standalone. It is the nicest box available for the LS1.

Kurt

man, i was really looking forward to doing the 80 swap also. Its sucks to know that a built 4l65 is just gonna blow up with any real power. It makes doing a turbo or a supercharger set-up discouraging, because you already know that your just going to have to keep replacing transmissions over and over.

man, i was really looking forward to doing the 80 swap also. Its sucks to know that a built 4l65 is just gonna blow up with any real power. It makes doing a turbo or a supercharger set-up discouraging, because you already know that your just going to have to keep replacing transmissions over and over.

I spoke directly to Chuck at FLP today. There are several FLP customers running FLP L5 trannies successfully in high hp truck applications. He mentioned a Tahoe that has a 427 and some kind of forced induction that is putting down 650 rwhp, as well as a couple of trucks in the 800 fwhp range. I'm sure Rossler has a similar list, as well as others out there with less publicity.

It is in how you drive it, and the new success rates are a reflection of R&D and learning from the pervious versions that failed.

the new success rates are a reflection of R&D and learning from the pervious versions that failed.

Exactly, my only real point for going with FLP or Rossler compared to "Joe Blow" :thumbs:

Why did you leave off the how you drive it part? The most important part IMO. Because even the Rossler's and FLPs will break if you don't take care of it.

As far as the "Joe Blow", I can hardly wait till mine breaks and someone tells me how I should not have used Joe Blow. I'm sure without even knowing the "full" situation. :smash: At least I am not the only one out there.

the new success rates are a reflection of R&D and learning from the pervious versions that failed.

Exactly, my only real point for going with FLP or Rossler compared to "Joe Blow" :thumbs:

Why did you leave off the how you drive it part? The most important part IMO. Because even the Rossler's and FLPs will break if you don't take care of it.

As far as the "Joe Blow", I can hardly wait till mine breaks and someone tells me how I should not have used Joe Blow. I'm sure without even knowing the "full" situation. :smash: At least I am not the only one out there.

Easy Ben, go pet the kitty and calm down. :P

I fully understand your situation, and I'll be the first to rub it in if it happens. :P

I know, and agree with you, the most important part is "how you drive it."

I was just reiterating the point I got attacked for earlier. Most people don't have the time you do to research and get the best and more importantly, the "correct" parts for theit transmission. In this case, it makes more sense for them to go with a tranny shop w/ a proven track record in the field.

As for TurboB, I'm sure he can track down the correct parts, just like you, but it looks like he's not finding a compitent shop to do the install. Another reason to go with a done deal. :P

:jester: , you can quit pettin' the kitty now. :jester:

Archived