converting to a 4L80E?

So after looking at the Yank thread Parish posted, I went to Parish's truck site to read about his truck. Nice truck, Parish :thumbs:.

Here's the question. Can us SSS guys do the conversion? The hack-n-slash quality of Parish's install kinda makes me cringe, so I am not interested in his method, but in the results of having a reliable tranny up in the truck.

The big problem I am envisioning is the AWD transfer case. I am not really willing to give up AWD (even for hacked 4WD like Parish). I am not only interested in straight out drag racing anymore -- I like the handling benefits from the AWD.

So what do you think?

edit:fixed the link :oops:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

after some reading on his site I think it sounds great, very tuff-but he was vague about the connection to the 4wd, let alone the conversion to the AWD. But as you HP monsters (BEN MN c5 Berserker) get bigger that little trans is going to die quick... and I dont think the built ones will handle that much power-(**STS power) I could be wrong, JOe from JAG would be the best to give us an idea how much power our drivelines could take, or even better could there be a GM engineer out there that designed our truck driveline parts and knows what extremes they were tested to???

Parish is fast-but IMO it is only time before an SSS w/STS is the fastest. and the rear mount turbo will come out on top, or should I say out back :D

thanks for sharing your experences with the turbo's

well i know for a fact that the 4l65e wont stand up to 600hp for very long at all. last weekend i blew out mine while i was in kansas. the 4l80 would be sweet but would also be a pain to install.

Parish is fast-but IMO it is only time before an SSS w/STS is the fastest. and the rear mount turbo will come out on top, or should I say out back :D

Don't kid yourself. I don't see any SS making it into the 10s anytime soon. Even if one does, Jim's truck will be going for the 9s. Will he make it? .... Who knows, but he has a built motor in the works as well as a built transmission. Compare the weight of the SS to C3C5. His built C3 running a 408, built TH350 transmission and a 250 shot of nitrous barely made 10s. There isn't much more that he could do to get a better ET in that tank. Jim (parish8) made his 10 second run on a stock 6L, so a built stroker will drop that time even more, plus it will handle more boost and nitrous without popping.

Of course its all a factor of $$$ and desire. Jim has been throwing the $$$ at his truck and definitely has the desire.

The biggest hurdle getting the 4L80 to work in a SS is the trandsfer case. Since we are AWD, we need to stick with the AWD case. The output shaft of the 80E is larger and has a differnet spline count so it wont fit. The 80E is 4" longer, so both driveshafts will need to be altered. Transmission mount will need to be moved back. Wire harness and PCM programming will have to happen to allow the 80E to function properly.

I think there is a flash file for an LQ9 with 4L80E floating around.  :rolleyes:  ;)

Make that statement a little more clear. Is it an SS file with 4L80? Because having the LQ9 does nothing if its a 2wd or autotrac, etc.. Also, what year model is this file for?

It was my inderstanding that parish's 80-e was not built... :confused:

Jim went broke his FLP level4 transmission several times on his previous truck. It was the pewter excab Z71, 6L whipple charged, nitrous and FLP 4L60E.

His 80e wasn't built, but its at FLP getting built right now.

Archived