What Stall Speed

Hey guys, so I'm deciding on a new converter but am confused as to what stall speed even is exactly and what size I should go with.

My plans are a new built tranny this month along with the stall then a Magnuson in a few months when the $ is saved. Although I don't drive the truck that much I do consider it a daily driver so I would want a stall with driveability yet performance that can support my up and coming mods. Yes I did search already but I just didn't find the exact answer. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

EDIT: I don't do any towing and other future plans are LT's, 160* stat and agressive re-tune.

-Aaron

Edited by Bad aSS Silvy (see edit history)

Hey guys, so I'm deciding on a new converter but am confused as to what stall speed even is exactly and what size I should go with.

My plans are a new built tranny this month along with the stall then a Magnuson in a few months when the $ is saved. Although I don't drive the truck that much I do consider it a daily driver so I would want a stall with driveability yet performance that can support my up and coming mods. Yes I did search already but I just didn't find the exact answer. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

-Aaron

if you are going with a roots I would say 3k

I'll have a 2800 with a radix 112. Mine is a daily driver. 2800 because I occasionally tow a 21' boat. I think there is a pretty good explanation of stall speed on here somewhere. Sometimes the search can be tricky. I'll look for it later today and try to link it. If you tell us what you are looking to do with your SS in terms of towing, driving, modding and such, you will probably get a more accurate opinion as far as advice from alot of very knowledgeable members here. Good luck !

Stall speed is what the engine revs up to when you hold your foot on the brake and gas basically without the truck moving. The idea of it is to help get the engine into it's power band much quicker, which will increase your track times. Usually you see higher stall speeds (roughly 3600) in trucks with different cams, heads, intake, different displacements, ect. With supercharged applications like the magnason chargers, they make a lot of low end torque to get the truck moving right off the line so a higher than stock but lower speed would be better. Like mentioned above right about 3000 would work well I believe.

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

On a Radix truck, your options are 2600, 2800, or 3000 RPM; don't go higher than 3000. The 3000-rpm is a little racy but still very streetable (I have a 3000 TCS on my truck). The 2800 TCS IMO is the perfect converter for these trucks and the best fit for the Radix. The 2600 drives like stock but still gets the truck moving decent when you throw your foot into it, it is a little too tame for me but a lot of guys really like it because it's a bit more domesticated.

Get the converter before the Radix. :thumbs: The truck will be a lot more fun to drive. A 3000-rpm will cut into your city mileage significantly, expect a 1-2 mpg loss of economy (highway mileage will be unaffected). With a 3000-rpm converter get a good transmission cooler too. After you install the Radix + converter, don't put slicks or drag radials on your truck until you get the rear differential replaced with a TruTrak. :smash:

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

So what if I run a 3K for a few months until SC is bought with a built trans on a stock LQ9, what are any pros, cons, gains or losses?

Do it, I have a 3000 stall PI on my truck(which is NA), and driving is soooo much fun. I didn't lose anything in city or highway mileage....

Also consider a PI converter, 8hnpSS has a 2800 stall 10.5" 3-disk PI Vigilante/FLT Level 6 w/MP112 Radix(2.85 pulley), even still running manifolds that truck went 12.5 in the 1/4 mile...

Do it, I have a 3000 stall PI on my truck(which is NA), and driving is soooo much fun. I didn't lose anything in city or highway mileage....

Also consider a PI converter, 8hnpSS has a 2800 stall 10.5" 3-disk PI Vigilante/FLT Level 6 w/MP112 Radix(2.85 pulley), even still running manifolds that truck went 12.5 in the 1/4 mile...

iamwithstupid.gif lol

i have a 2800 triple disk 10.5 inch P.I and ive gotten 1.68 60' at the track. it drives close to stock and it locks up like an animal. its a bit pricey but i would highly recommend it.

DO NOT cheap out on a converter

Well I just bought a 10.5 billet 3K stall from Performabuilt and a level 2 trans along with a TRU-COOL MAX cooller. Any thoughts gentlemen? Wheatley helped me out to get a great deal plus it was all I could afford at this time considering I still have R&R and 12 quarts of ATF to buy.

Edited by Bad aSS Silvy (see edit history)