Weight Reduction

firehawknwv

Hey guys I was wondering what all can be done to our trucks for weight reduction. I didnt figure there was a whole lot but I was just wonderig so if someone would clue me in Id appreciate it. Also does anone know what each item you take off approx. weighs?

So far Ive:

-taken off spare tire

-taken off front tow hooks

-taken off tow entire tow hitch

-taken off spare tire mount

-removed rear bumper when I install my BSER rollpan

When going to the track I plan on taking out my rear seat and speaker box.

Hey guys I was wondering what all can be done to our trucks for weight reduction. I didnt figure there was a whole lot but I was just wonderig so if someone would clue me in Id appreciate it. Also does anone know what each item you take off approx. weighs?

So far Ive:

-taken off spare tire

-taken off front tow hooks

-taken off tow entire tow hitch

-taken off spare tire mount

-removed rear bumper when I install my BSER rollpan

When going to the track I plan on taking out my rear seat and speaker box.

nice, remove your tire irons and jack too, plus drian your windshield washing fluid :thumbs:

Here you go....

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/64310-weight-reduction-specs/page__p__727821__hl__weight__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=727821

Also, are you running the 22" Boss rims at the track? Have you weighed them? Less rotating mass is always a good thing....

Spare tire = 60-70 lbs? Front tow hooks = 4-lbs? Entire tow hitch = 50-60 lbs? Spare tire mount = 5-lbs? BSER rollpan = 75-lbs? So, ballpark I think you have dropped 200-lbs from the truck so far. The rear seat, I have no idea what the weight is but I have read it is a PITA heavy. And any speaker box worth its salt is also 100-150 lbs fully loaded. But on track day I would leave them home. The tonneau is heavy, so is the tailgate. Another weight saving idea not mention is going to Centerline 20" rims (-115-lbs).

Mr. P. :)

for a car 100lbs =.1sec

on our trucks its about half

100lbs=.05sec

so I dont see the ability to pull off the amount of weight you would need to get a decent gain. now if it was a race truck its a different story.

• 1 year later...

There are plenty of options to remove weight beside what you already did. It all depends on how serious you want to get with it. You could remove the front bumper impact foam, inside insulation, get light weight carpet etc. The rear seat removal is only 6 nuts and can be done by yourself.