1/4 Mile Procharged Times?

Im wanting to get a procharger around the first of this year and I was just wondering what 1/4 mile and 1/8 mile times some of yall are getting. I see numerous amounts of SSS with maggies running 12.3-12.6s with supporting mods But I dont see many procharged guys posting there times. And Im talking about with the lq9. I wouldn't mind getting a Radix which I think looks 10x better than the procharger but I want high 11s. Im sure the radix with a 50-75 shot would get me there and If I can find a good deal on one I may go that route. I think I have got all im going to get out of my 150 shot and want to go deeper into the 7s in the 1/8th.

they say take off a second but im not sure. i am running on a stock tb coverter which stalls about 26-2800 on my set up. i am also running 22's that are HEAVY. mine is tuned by zippy and i think he would agree that with a tune, cam and at sea level it would be a 12.0 or high 11s at least.

No experience with the procharger in a heavy truck application, but I would think that it has a little more potential (et/mph) vs the radix, but it all depends on your ultimate goals.

Here are my thoughts/experience. With some basic bolts-ons and tuning I've gone 12.21 at 110.21 mph. Eighth mile was 7.82 at 87.58 mph. This was with about 30 minutes of cool down (after driving to the track @40 miles) in 40-45 degree weather/humidity was around 50%. 60 foot was 1.708 (spinning). There was definitely more in it and I know I could easily obtain 12 teens as it sits right now. I now have an e-fan kit and I'm looking for a 90mm tb/j-tube. I think with these mods, some 1.6X 60's and more tuning 11's should be easily obtainable. This is obviously in the right weather with a cooled down vehicle. Right now it doesn't run much slower (maybe 1-2 tenths) if I hot lap it this time of the year. Now fast forward to summer and your times are going to drop quite a bit. I've been told 3-5 tenths and it feels like it from my butt-o-meter. This past summer I ran 12.69 (80 degrees/50% humidity), (completely different tune---very conservative). After one particular pass, I drove right back around and got back in line. Sat there 10-15 minutes idling and went 12.87. So a couple of tenths difference basically. I think if I made a pass in hot weather, then shut it off and let it sit for 15 minutes or so, then tried to make another pass, you would see a much bigger difference due to the obvious heat soak. One other point, the 12.69 wasn't an optimlzed pass either. Basically about 45 minutes of cooldown after 50 mile drive to track.

To some degree I bet the procharger will have similar experiences. Heat soak would probably be less with the procharger as it isn't sitting right on top of the heads, but none-the-less it would run slower in the summer.

I think if this is a street vehicle that you drive daily, I would definitely go with the radix. You can run a tighter converter (2600-2800) and still maximize it's performance due to the added low end torque. The procharger will require a converter around 3000 or higher to maximize it's acceleration. If your goal is only maximizing et/mph, then maybe go with the procharger. Realize that there are a few radix guys in the 11's on blower only so it can be done either way you go.

I've had a vortech S-trim, paxton novi 2000, procharger D2-r and now a procharger F2. I like my centrifigals but I think they have there place. It's hard to beat that low end torque in a heavy vehicle especially if it's a daily driver.

Good luck pepsicheer.gif

Edited by slowfive0 (see edit history)

Thanks for that right up. There were a lot of good points in there. I still haven't made up my mind. I want a better et and trap speed but im just not sure what route to take.I understand the radix making gobs of torque make since in these trucks but It seems the procharger would pull harder on the big end. I run the 1/8 and 1/4 at two different tracks. If I was just running the 1/8th I would probably be dead set on the radix but I feel like the Procharger would make more power helping it on the big end of the 1/4. This is a tough decision. all radix guys say go radix and the procharger guys say go procharger. I dont think I could go wrong with either. I really want 7.5s on motor with the lq9. and I already have the 3-3200 circle D which is too big for the radix and probably too small for the procharger. I need someone to post some timeslips to convince me on one or the other. I see your 12.21 which is very impressive but do you ever think that with your same mods and a procharger could you already be in the 11s? Sorry im making this so tough but neither kit is cheap and I dont want to look back and think I wish I would have gone the other way. Im all about et's. I could care less about fuel milage and all that other stuff.

7.5's are definitely obtainable on motor (radix) --- see timeslip below, but only with a lot of fine tuning. Krambo (his timeslip actually) and others have done it with SSS's but it "might' be easier with the procharger.....Not sure, I hope some procharger owners post up. 04Chase told me that he got into the 11's pretty easy with his vortech. Not sure how it compares to the procharger unit...

To be honest, it sounds like you're on a budget and your converter is going to play a big part of your equation. Call Chris at Circle D and see which combo your converter will work best with. It's not necessarily just a question of loosening or tightening it up. Often times you may need a different converter all together to get it right for you combo. A good converter is expensive and a key part of a good running combo. Not just stall speed, but where the converter recovers to on the shift and how efficient it is upstairs. Chris should be able to help you out.

One other thing, et is wayyyy more important over mph. I've seen many cars that mph'd like a mofo on the topend that weren't chit in a drag race. A lot of imports come to mind. I had an old foxbody mustang with an s-trim that used to run 11.0 at 129mph!!!! Should have been deep in the 10's with that mph, but the gearing and converter weren't optimized for the setup. Many a drag race I just barely won or lost on the topend. I was always chasing down the other car if the race was close. On the street you rarely even get up to those speeds (not that you should be racing on the street of course).

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for that right up. There were a lot of good points in there. I still haven't made up my mind. I want a better et and trap speed but im just not sure what route to take.I understand the radix making gobs of torque make since in these trucks but It seems the procharger would pull harder on the big end. I run the 1/8 and 1/4 at two different tracks. If I was just running the 1/8th I would probably be dead set on the radix but I feel like the Procharger would make more power helping it on the big end of the 1/4. This is a tough decision. all radix guys say go radix and the procharger guys say go procharger. I dont think I could go wrong with either. I really want 7.5s on motor with the lq9. and I already have the 3-3200 circle D which is too big for the radix and probably too small for the procharger. I need someone to post some timeslips to convince me on one or the other. I see your 12.21 which is very impressive but do you ever think that with your same mods and a procharger could you already be in the 11s? Sorry im making this so tough but neither kit is cheap and I dont want to look back and think I wish I would have gone the other way. Im all about et's. I could care less about fuel milage and all that other stuff.

post-14481-069589900 1293741594_thumb.jpg

Edited by slowfive0 (see edit history)

my opinion is if your going to race 1/8 mile get a radix unless if your going to run a 3k stall or better with the pro charger. i ran a 13.56 @ 101.75 when i first put my procharger on with no other mods "completely stock" and that was at almost 3000 feet elevation. i dont know what i run now with all of my mods going to get to the track in march.