Sss With A Tvs 2300

For power the turbo is by far a bigger power maker. A 408 with a single 88 or 91 mm turbo will outrun any Magnacharged setup by far. The downside is that your options are pretty much only Trick or KB racing for that if you don't have access to building your own. Even from there you will have to build from the turbo down. What I've learned over the years from dealing with about every truck guy is that turbo's should only be on trucks that are owned by guys who can do everything themselves. Owning a turbo truck in the bigger power range is a constant work on it kind of thing and even worse it leaves room for turning the boost up. Turbo trucks are also alot of work to tune and once again most big power turbo trucks remain only half ass tuned. I worked on one with a T76 and a 408 tuned by Ed Wright himself and that truck was a tuned mess. With the 408 and T76 it ran an awesome low 13... That describes how bad it was and there was a spot in the tune where it would have had 32 degrees of timing from 2800rpm down to 1600 no matter the airflow/boost. I constantly run accross big dollar turbo trucks with low dollar tuning and it's a shame. I love the turbo idea in the hands of the right person. As for the Kenne Bell, the 2.6L and 2.8L blowers really don't put down any better numbers at all compared to the TVS2300. There few truck guys i know that have bought them have regretted it and the Kenne Bell 4xx cubic inch motors I've had on the dyno at work have made power in the same ball park as the TVS2300 with no available customer service. CHarris on PT.net bought the 2.6/2.8L (i forget which) and with the smallest available pulley he managed to get 9psi on his 402 with an 8 rib system. They do make smaller blower pullies now, but his IAT's were just out of this world. Another guy on there bought the same blower for his 408 which he had W2W install and he was seeing IAT's up to 240 degrees during a full wide open run. I'm not saying the TVS is the answer to everything, but it is hard to beat the proven reliability of a TVS with an 8 rib setup (after it's been laser aligned). A big advantage to a supercharged setup also is that you actually have to change the pulley to change the boost level out of what the truck is tuned for. With a turbo you can just twist a knob, have a wastegate stick, etc, and you need a new motor. I'm not waving the Magnacharger fan, but all I'm saying is that for a streetable drive it to work type of truck a 408 with a properly setup TVS2300 you have a hard to beat fast and reliable truck. For those wondering though, I highly recomend the phenolic spacer and the soon to be big deal 102mm throttle body conversion for the TVS.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...For those wondering though, I highly recomend the phenolic spacer and the soon to be big deal 102mm throttle body conversion for the TVS.

I totally agree. These improvements will soon be the "must haves" for the TVS chargers.

That's great news Adam and quite an accomplishment! Props to you, Zippy and Supersub for a job well done! I'm really impressed with the performance considering the heat and the "street" trim that you ran it in. I'd be curious how much the 22's impact your times as well as the gains from the cooler fall weather.... Keep us posted----Nice job! pepsicheer.gif

Holy hell guys great discussion. Slowfive the passes that I made a few weeks ago were in full street trim except I was running 4 drag radials instead of my 22's. I still had my subs in, full interior, bed cover etc. I dont ever plan on taking any of it out anyways. I basically wanted a street strip short of package and I'm almost there IMO. All of this couldnt have been done with out Zippy or Ray, both are great guys to deal with and will not steer you wrong. Ill keep you posted with the new mods buddy I've just been busy with work.

Have a good one guys

Adam

Great feedback and speaking for me, I really appreciate the time you and everyone else has taken to give it! I actually have a great fab guy that does turbo kits all of the time. I know he could do a sweet job on a kit for my truck yet there is something about a supercharged setup and the full exhaust that I just love! Adam's truck is basically identical to what I wanted out of a daily driver. Hell, even the color is the same - lol! Is belt slip much of an issue at these boost levels with these TVS blowers? Is Adam's truck using a cog belt on the blower drive (jackshaft to head unit) or no?

Also, still a little confused about the Kenne Bell vs TVS blower debate. I have an article (mustang mag) that did some testing between the blowers and it seemed that the Kenne Bell blew the TVS away. Mostly because it was more efficient and bigger. It seemed where the Kenne Bell really shined was when spinning it up and when using race fuel. That would go hand in hand with your observations of high inlet temps (requiring the good fuel)........ So much information and depending on who is putting it out it seems to be often times biased one direction of the other. It's nice to get the scoop so to speak from someone like yourself that has actually had both units on a dyno. Thanks pepsicheer.gif

For power the turbo is by far a bigger power maker. A 408 with a single 88 or 91 mm turbo will outrun any Magnacharged setup by far. The downside is that your options are pretty much only Trick or KB racing for that if you don't have access to building your own. Even from there you will have to build from the turbo down. What I've learned over the years from dealing with about every truck guy is that turbo's should only be on trucks that are owned by guys who can do everything themselves. Owning a turbo truck in the bigger power range is a constant work on it kind of thing and even worse it leaves room for turning the boost up. Turbo trucks are also alot of work to tune and once again most big power turbo trucks remain only half ass tuned. I worked on one with a T76 and a 408 tuned by Ed Wright himself and that truck was a tuned mess. With the 408 and T76 it ran an awesome low 13... That describes how bad it was and there was a spot in the tune where it would have had 32 degrees of timing from 2800rpm down to 1600 no matter the airflow/boost. I constantly run accross big dollar turbo trucks with low dollar tuning and it's a shame. I love the turbo idea in the hands of the right person. As for the Kenne Bell, the 2.6L and 2.8L blowers really don't put down any better numbers at all compared to the TVS2300. There few truck guys i know that have bought them have regretted it and the Kenne Bell 4xx cubic inch motors I've had on the dyno at work have made power in the same ball park as the TVS2300 with no available customer service. CHarris on PT.net bought the 2.6/2.8L (i forget which) and with the smallest available pulley he managed to get 9psi on his 402 with an 8 rib system. They do make smaller blower pullies now, but his IAT's were just out of this world. Another guy on there bought the same blower for his 408 which he had W2W install and he was seeing IAT's up to 240 degrees during a full wide open run. I'm not saying the TVS is the answer to everything, but it is hard to beat the proven reliability of a TVS with an 8 rib setup (after it's been laser aligned). A big advantage to a supercharged setup also is that you actually have to change the pulley to change the boost level out of what the truck is tuned for. With a turbo you can just twist a knob, have a wastegate stick, etc, and you need a new motor. I'm not waving the Magnacharger fan, but all I'm saying is that for a streetable drive it to work type of truck a 408 with a properly setup TVS2300 you have a hard to beat fast and reliable truck. For those wondering though, I highly recomend the phenolic spacer and the soon to be big deal 102mm throttle body conversion for the TVS.

Edited by slowfive0 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...