Sss With A Tvs 2300

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

My first 1/8th mile runs were low 8's when Zippy started to tune it the best run was 7.6 in the 1/8th. Keep in mined this was with the old motor. Without the spacer, heads, new headers, higher compression and it wasn't dialled in yet. My next trip to the track will be a 1/4 mile track so see how it runs. Zippy has some idea of what it will do but I wont say anything until I go to the track. As for my heads yes they are trick flow 235 Cathedral style ports, very nice head.

I think I have some pictures of the new motor.

Hey Adam - what size pulley & ballancer are you using? Or, how much boost were you pushing on that run?

Mr. P. :)

• 4 months later...

Ever make it to the track? I'm dying to see what you run with your combo pepsicheer.gif

I'm running an 8 inch crank and a 3.2 inch pulley on those runs. With the old motor it was making about 13 psi.

Let me know if you have anymore questions

He just recently went out. Look at the track times section and you'll see the numbers from his run. Since you own a Maggie you'll also appreciate that he ran those numbers in 90 degree weather.

Thanks Zippy!!!! pepsicheer.gif Very impressive times! Can't wait for the cool weather!!! Any reason for no Meth? Just want to see what it can do on gas first? Adam, do you plan to make any hits this summer in street trim (stock wheels/tires, no weight reduction, etc)? I'd love to see the difference. Very impressive driver though! peelout.gif

He just recently went out. Look at the track times section and you'll see the numbers from his run. Since you own a Maggie you'll also appreciate that he ran those numbers in 90 degree weather.

Edited by slowfive0 (see edit history)

He has meth a meth kit on the truck. When we started tuning I had him disconnect it until everything was dialed in and after we got it dialed in I felt it was just safer to simply leave it disconnected. Being in Canada he doesn't see much weather like that during the year. With the Supersub blower spacer on it the blower really doesn't have as bad of a heat soak issue. The meth would be more for octane than anything and it just isn't worth the damage to the blower that meth will cause. Meth will slowly but surely eat the coating off of the rotors as well as cause issue's with the housing. Poor some meth on any piece of aluminum and leave it there for a day or two. After you've seen those results you would understand one good reason to not use meth if you really don't have too.

On a side note I'm expecting with the next couple of mods he will be seeing boost of around 14psi without changing pullies. Soon to come will be a 102mm throttle body with a Supersub 102mm front inlet for the blower and a reduction in air intake restriction. This truck is one of the dream packages for most guys honestly. It runs and drives as smooth as a stock truck due to the 408 cubes, moderate 10.3:1 compression, super smooth TVS2300, and relatively small camshaft. This is basicly the package I was waiting for someone to build about 5 years ago aside from the 4L80E. I'd like to build one for someone with the same basic setup except with a 65E fully built including a 6 pinion planetary set. This is a 10 second package and I plan to make sure Adam proves it this winter.

Just awesome!!! Very impressive and I can't wait to see what it does this winter. A few thoughts/questions?

1. Makes sense why you guys kept the meth injection off and i agree on the methanol and its impact on metal, but if I'm not mistaken the methanol pretty much evaporates instantly as soon as it touches the rotors from the heat...doesn't it? I would think there might be some impact long term to the coating, but it seems possible it might now have any effect? Just speculating---what do think?

2. I was wondering about whether or not he had the spacer---you answered that question---thanks. Also, I know the postiive displacement blowers benefit tremendously from free flowing inlet tracts. This is the first I've heard of a supersub inlet. Did he design a bigger free flowing unit?

3. So you are saying that you want to do a package like this with the more efficient 4l65e laugh.gif I just happen to know someone who wants to do this exact combo who has that 4l65e......... seeya.gif

Last thoughts. Is the Kenne Bell 2.8 or 3.6 a better blower to use over the TVS2300????? What about bigger cubes (454 or 483 with a longer sleeve like ERL Performance builds)?

Thanks!

He has meth a meth kit on the truck. When we started tuning I had him disconnect it until everything was dialed in and after we got it dialed in I felt it was just safer to simply leave it disconnected. Being in Canada he doesn't see much weather like that during the year. With the Supersub blower spacer on it the blower really doesn't have as bad of a heat soak issue. The meth would be more for octane than anything and it just isn't worth the damage to the blower that meth will cause. Meth will slowly but surely eat the coating off of the rotors as well as cause issue's with the housing. Poor some meth on any piece of aluminum and leave it there for a day or two. After you've seen those results you would understand one good reason to not use meth if you really don't have too.

On a side note I'm expecting with the next couple of mods he will be seeing boost of around 14psi without changing pullies. Soon to come will be a 102mm throttle body with a Supersub 102mm front inlet for the blower and a reduction in air intake restriction. This truck is one of the dream packages for most guys honestly. It runs and drives as smooth as a stock truck due to the 408 cubes, moderate 10.3:1 compression, super smooth TVS2300, and relatively small camshaft. This is basicly the package I was waiting for someone to build about 5 years ago aside from the 4L80E. I'd like to build one for someone with the same basic setup except with a 65E fully built including a 6 pinion planetary set. This is a 10 second package and I plan to make sure Adam proves it this winter.

1. Makes sense why you guys kept the meth injection off and i agree on the methanol and its impact on metal, but if I'm not mistaken the methanol pretty much evaporates instantly as soon as it touches the rotors from the heat...doesn't it? I would think there might be some impact long term to the coating, but it seems possible it might now have any effect? Just speculating---what do think?

I'm kinda confused reading this even a few times, but I get the idea that you are assuming that the meth would not be in liquid form in the blower and therefore shouldn't have the effect. It will still cause issue's, but not as fast. The real problem there though is that when the blower is cold it will still remain a liquid all the way to the cylinder head. Methanol doesn't become a gas form until 149 degrees F. With the phenolic spacer the blower stays barely above ambient temperature and the intercooler will rarely be above that temperature.

2. I was wondering about whether or not he had the spacer---you answered that question---thanks. Also, I know the postiive displacement blowers benefit tremendously from free flowing inlet tracts. This is the first I've heard of a supersub inlet. Did he design a bigger free flowing unit?

The inlet is a new thing that he is getting ready to release. The 90mm throttle body is way too small for the TVS2300 so the switch to a 102mm will be the next hot ticket. There will be a small improvement with the inlet improving flow also. He'll be posting one up here soon I'm sure.

Is the Kenne Bell 2.8 or 3.6 a better blower to use over the TVS2300????? What about bigger cubes (454 or 483 with a longer sleeve like ERL Performance builds)?

From my experience the 2.8L Kenne Bell blower hasn't really been any better than the TVS2300. The 3.6L has made big power, but big blowers like that will create other big problems. My opinion is that if you want to go that big I'd just do a turbo or a Procharger. A 3.6L is about 100 lbs of aluminum and that is just one big piece of aluminum to absorbe heat. As for the big cube motors, I never recomend more than a 4" stroke unless you do a tall deck block. Honestly the big inch LS type motors are only a novelty. They don't have a long life and are really meant for naturally asperated setups. An LSX 430 well setup with 15 psi of boost is more power than any street type of truck can handle. I you have your heart set on more than 430 cubic inch, do it n/a or keep it on the small side for boost/spray.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm not the best writer. What I was saying is that I agree that the Methanol is super corrosive to many of the metals like aluminum, mild steel, etc. Maybe I received bad information but I was basically told that even though the blower may be ambient or near there, the area (and air) between the rotors when in full boost will be hotter and that the methanol will evaporate on impact from the heat. Not arguing with you, just trying to understand so I can make the best decision for my situation. I have a methanol kit "http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/index.html" that I originally purchased for my F2 equipped mustang. I decided to go all out and ditched that idea for a big air to water intercooler. So I was going to use the methanol kit on my truck instead. Even if the Methanol evaporates I could see it having an impact on the coating long term, just trying to understand---thanks.

I'm kinda confused reading this even a few times, but I get the idea that you are assuming that the meth would not be in liquid form in the blower and therefore shouldn't have the effect. It will still cause issue's, but not as fast. The real problem there though is that when the blower is cold it will still remain a liquid all the way to the cylinder head. Methanol doesn't become a gas form until 149 degrees F. With the phenolic spacer the blower stays barely above ambient temperature and the intercooler will rarely be above that temperature.

That sounds awesome!!!! I'm glad I didn't get a 90mm setup yet then! Will the throttlebody work with drive by wire systems like mine or do I need to go to a cable setup?

The inlet is a new thing that he is getting ready to release. The 90mm throttle body is way too small for the TVS2300 so the switch to a 102mm will be the next hot ticket. There will be a small improvement with the inlet improving flow also. He'll be posting one up here soon I'm sure.

Thanks for the feedback. Quite honestly, 95% of everything I've read about Kenne Bell is that he is a ROYAL A-HOLE and not willing to go outside the box for hardly anything. Hard to know what is true, but it would probably be a big PITA to set one up and not very pleasurable dealing with that company. On the other hand, Brian from Magnacharger has been awesome to deal with and I would love to support that company if it meets my goals. From this thread i would say the answer is a very large YES! LOL!

I think a 408/TVS 2300 is in my future peelout.gif At around 408 cubic inches, would you consider a sleeved block (ERL --- "http://www.erlperformance.com/gm-ls-dry-sleeve-block-sleeved") or is it a waste of time & money? It seems like a pretty sweet setup (longer & stronger material sleeves and aluminum block), but may not be worth the headache/cost in the end.

Is the Kenne Bell 2.8 or 3.6 a better blower to use over the TVS2300????? What about bigger cubes (454 or 483 with a longer sleeve like ERL Performance builds)?

From my experience the 2.8L Kenne Bell blower hasn't really been any better than the TVS2300. The 3.6L has made big power, but big blowers like that will create other big problems. My opinion is that if you want to go that big I'd just do a turbo or a Procharger. A 3.6L is about 100 lbs of aluminum and that is just one big piece of aluminum to absorbe heat. As for the big cube motors, I never recomend more than a 4" stroke unless you do a tall deck block. Honestly the big inch LS type motors are only a novelty. They don't have a long life and are really meant for naturally asperated setups. An LSX 430 well setup with 15 psi of boost is more power than any street type of truck can handle. I you have your heart set on more than 430 cubic inch, do it n/a or keep it on the small side for boost/spray.

Edited by slowfive0 (see edit history)

Holy hell guys great discussion. Slowfive the passes that I made a few weeks ago were in full street trim except I was running 4 drag radials instead of my 22's. I still had my subs in, full interior, bed cover etc. I dont ever plan on taking any of it out anyways. I basically wanted a street strip short of package and I'm almost there IMO. All of this couldnt have been done with out Zippy or Ray, both are great guys to deal with and will not steer you wrong. Ill keep you posted with the new mods buddy I've just been busy with work.

Have a good one guys

Adam

i still think there are better options than the 2300 blower out there for a 400+ cu in lsx setup the kenne belle 2.8 being one of them . the 3.6 would be a better choice for sure but in terms of simplicity its going to take a bit of customizing to retrofit on the truck.

with turbos you dont need to worry about a bigger inlet (tb size as much as your postitive pressure is already made before going through it so its much less of a restriction. iirc a recent test was done on a turbo 400+ cu lsx and less than 15 rwhp was made between the two. as well as being able to retian a stock belt setup and boost adjustability is much easier on a turbo setup is what made me choose turbo .

with awd and 4.10's the ss has adding more low end torque your stressing the drivetrain very hard when launching . im still scared to launch mine with any kind of boost . i swapped to 3.73's gears front and rear as well as full built 10 bolt and 3k circle d stall to help more with top end .

what im getting at is these trucks have alot to help them with bottoem end to begin with so making the power in the long run is what will get you better results in the 1320 imo.

stop light or 1/8th miled the maggie is good choice but for all out 1320 fun and still ripping on the street turbo / 80e is also a great choice along with being somewhat reliable. but thats just imo so take it for what its worth.