Heads And Intake Question

A friend of mine has a complete LY6 motor out of an 08 2500. Originally I was considering buying the entire motor from him but now I'm thinking of maybe picking up just the heads and intake manifold. Not sure if it would really be worth it or not so I figured I would ask you guys before going through with anything. Wish I could pick up the whole motor and start a fresh build for when the LQ9 decides to croak but from what I've read over on pt.net swapping in a newer motor like the LY6 is kind of a pain in the butt. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Zach

Anyone? Apparently these are the l92 heads. So I'm guessing with these heads, intake and 90mm throttle body accompanied with a cam swap I should see some decent gains. I'd still like some third party opinions though so please, anyone with more expertise than me throw in your two cents. Thanks.

Zach

DO IT!!!!! LOL

That is the setup that i'm looking to do for my other motor. Except for the intake. I want to go with a Victor JR or GM performance parts carb style intake.

If you do get the heads and intake make sure you get the rockers with the heads.

there is a head artical in december hot rod magazine about ls heads, its a good read and the results make you think a little.

I'm not sold on the L92 heads yet. there are just somethings about them that i would rather have the smaller valve cathedral port heads. although for an all set up, i think they can make more power, but untill i hit the point of a larger cubed motor i'll stay with the small valve. But again in reading the artical it opens up a lot of questions about the l92 heads and why they worked so well in that test.

Unless your going FI i would stay away from the victor intake. I made more hp on it, but the short runner intake ruined my 60 foot times and my quarter mile et never caught back up. Maybe if you knew your going to run that intake, you could do something with the cam to control it, but odds are your wasting more hp with a lesser cam then your gaining with the short runner intake.

The heat soak on the aluminum intakes are real bad as well. Even in 60 degree temps i can't get the heat outta of this intake fast enough.

if you are thinking about running a l92 set up, or a rectangle port set up, one of the guys who really made that work is Skeet. He's a real nice guy and i'm sure would be happy to answer any questions about that kind of set up and what really makes it shine.

well ive been doing some more reading over on pt.net and it seems like the l92 heads and l76 truck intake are a pretty good upgrade. only problem now is my buddy doesnt want to part the motor out or trade me any parts from my truck, so it looks like im stuck either buying the whole engine or scrapping the idea and looking for the heads and intake elsewhere. I dont think id have much of a problem selling the motor with my 317's and intake once the swap is done. i guess ill just have to do some haggling and see what he will let the motor go for in all. thanks for all the help fellas. anything else anyone wants to add please feel free. ill keep you guys posted on whats going down with it.

Zach

prc 2.5 cncd heads from texas speed. ls6 style heads and a cam that will help, keep the stock manifold and get ls7 lifters, new set of stock rockers, ls2 timing set and oil pump, arp head studs, gm gaskets, dual springs and call it a day. easily see 80-90 whp wit that cam setup.

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=134&catid=40

Edited by 8 UR HMI (see edit history)

For the money I'd spend on just those heads and I can nearly buy the whole engine from the guy

and the amount of time and effort it takes to swap that motor, then do some work to it will still not out weigh the gains from those heads with like a 228 230 588 596 on a 112 cam .

I never said I was going to use the motor, just the parts I listed. Then sell the res of it to make a little of my money back. In the end it's far cheaper and should still yield some good gains. Like shadowsniper said, skeet did very well with an l92 top end swap.

I never said I was going to use the motor, just the parts I listed. Then sell the res of it to make a little of my money back. In the end it's far cheaper and should still yield some good gains. Like shadowsniper said, skeet did very well with an l92 top end swap.

If you want to hear about cathedral port heads i'd be happy to throw out some info on them as well and what i have learned about picking them. However like you said it will be expensive to get them ported and get the intakes flowing as well as the l92 heads do right from GM. The flip side of the coin is the L92 intakes flow great but you have to get the exhaust out to. So cam selection becomes very critical with this set up, ported or not.

Bare in mind, Skeets set up is ported and porting is porting so the price would be about the same if going that route. One of the arguments might be an l92(not sure on chamber size) might lose compression over a 243 head and lose hp, BUT the l92 head flows better then the ls6 head with out porting so can make hp if the cam is selected right. Never really researched the cost of porting vs the gains of a non ported l92 head, but would be cool to see.

I'll check when i get home...but the artical in hotrod may have used a nonported l92 and a ported ls6........with the same cam

i love paper racing

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

i checked that artical and the ls3 heads they used were ported by MAST, so they were not stock heads. The results they got out of the huge intake runners and huge valve is opposite what i would have thought and even what the writer thought would happen. However this on a 408 motor with dished pistons so valve clearance is better and the huge ls3 valve has a little more clearance to the cylinder wall so it will flow nicer then on a smaller bore 364.

Zach

Have you priced out buying bare or assembled castings vs the price of this whole motor.

also, instead of these heads off your buddies motor have you thought about an ls3 head. The ls3's have hollow stem intake valves, i don't think the l92's do, and i'm not sure what valve is in the ly6. It would better with a large cam and require less spring pressure, all adding up to more hp....even if its small amounts

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)