2Bfast'S Build

2bfast

Made a little progress tonight. Tommorow the cooling system will be drained and front accessories removed. Also headers and exhaust as they are sold already to a forum member. Basically gettin things ready to prep and paint the firewall, fenders and surroundings. As well as gear up for a cam swap.

DSC02875.jpg

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got most everything off the fenders and firewall almost ready to prep for paint. Buddy is comin over sometime this week to scope out what hes got to work with and if there is anything I need to do more before he starts shootin paint

DSC02881.jpg

DSC02885.jpg

DSC02884.jpg

DSC02883.jpg

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

Got a package from UPS today at work :dbanana:

DSC02887.jpg

DSC02886.jpg

DSC02888.jpg

DSC02889.jpg

DSC02891.jpg

Here is the passenger side compared to my previous OBX giddyup.

DSC02892.jpg

American Racing stainless exhaust 1 7/8" primaries & 3" collectors into 3" connection piping. I have to admit, I didnt appreciate these until I seen these in person. WOW is all I have to say, and i cant wait to get these installed. Very well crafted. They get dropped off next week to be ceramic coated.

nice headers. you get your engine bay get painted yet?

not yet. all I have done is basically whats in the pics above. Holidays are here so next week we'll get game plan and move forward with it. The exhaust is heading to get ceramic coated and fan shroud and timing cover on the motor are headed off to the polisher

• 2 weeks later...

just out of curiosity, y are u going with a 114 lsa?

That's not how you buy a cam (by shopping for a certain duration, or lobe separation); what you do is figure out exactly when you want the intake valve to open (related to the piston's position in the cylinder), when you want it to close, and likewise when you want the exhaust to open and close - the result of this is that you have four numbers, the degrees before (or after) top (or bottom) dead center. All other numbers (duration, LSA, lobe center, etc) are mathematically derived from these original four numbers and are basically worthless. The other thing unmentioned here is the actual *shape* of the cam lobe, that is selected based on the flow character of the cylinder head, plus any other forced-induction concerns.

Point is, not all 235-degree cams on a 114-degree LSA behave the same!

There is only one generality you can say about LSA, that is the bigger the number then the more it is likely to have a broader/flatter torque curve that extends both downwards and upwards; a narrower LSA (in old Pontiacs we used cams with 106-degree LSAs) they have explosive narrow powerbands like 3000-6200 RPM and the motor does not like to work outside that range at all.

With the numbers given here I am betting that this cam will operate well into 7000-rpm, a very broad torque curve. But that's my guess; I am speaking from the sidelines here, but I expect this cam to run well, we'll have to wait and see just how well!

:pop:

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)