Driveshafts

sdimedude

None of the 2WD trucks came with aluminum driveshafts. If you want an aluminum driveshaft get an aftermarket one, the tubing that GM used on the SSS driveshaft is not much thicker than heavy paper! The aftermarket aluminum driveshafts are made from much thicker tubing and much better alloys and heat treatments - they're far stronger.

Mr. P.

None of the 2WD trucks came with aluminum driveshafts. If you want an aluminum driveshaft get an aftermarket one, the tubing that GM used on the SSS driveshaft is not much thicker than heavy paper! The aftermarket aluminum driveshafts are made from much thicker tubing and much better alloys and heat treatments - they're far stronger.

Mr. P.

Yeah I was just checking. It would be cheap to just swap one over if they did make one from the factory. I don't think I'm going to pay for a custom one. Probably will be a little pricey. At least the driveshaft I have now is better then later model s10 ones. I hated those cardan joints!

• 2 weeks later...

I know that the awd SSS have aluminum driveshafts. Anybody in here with a 2wd with a aluminum driveshaft? Mine is 2 piece steel.

my buddy has a 04 chevy 1500 crew cab 2wd and it came with a one piece aluminum shaft

Edited by chevy vmax (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got an 05 ex-cab 2piece drive shaft from the junkyard for my 06 crew cab just made a crossmember and bolted it in same length anyone with a crew cab silverado I would recommend you change it out have had alot of friends with crewcabs that break the driveshaft. The original driveshaft is alittle thicker than a finger nail, just filled with foam thats not good. Now with the 2 piece I've gotten it up to 120-125 and no problems at all.