2004 Lq9 + L92 Heads +L76 Intake + Cam Build Up

BlueAKSSS

I decided to start an engine build for my 69' C10!

Current for those of you that don't know it has a cammed 5.3L with a Comp LSR 215/223 .604/.610 lift on a 112 lsa and upgraded valve springs and many other small things. Don't get me wrong it runs great but I want a bit more power.....

To start the build I decided to buy a used good running 2004 LQ9 6.0L from a wrecked Cadillac Escalade, I test started it on the engine stand with a hacked together wiring harness and it ran good. Did a compress test highest was 200 psi, and lowest was 190 psi so it seems to be a very solid engine and very clean. I pulled some of the accessories off to start the tear down. ph34r.gif

DSC_0353Medium.jpg

DSC_0355Medium.jpg

DSC_0358Medium.jpg

DSC_0357Medium.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the heads part of this build I decided that L92 heads seemed to be a very affordable head with extremely good flow and results on 6.0L's. So I just ordered a brand new set from a guy who bought them but never used them. They come with stainless intake and exhaust valves and 68cc combustion chambers with Patriot Extreme .660 lift springs.

With the 68cc combustion chambers that should raise the compression ratio from my calculations because the stock combustion chamber size is 72cc I believe. So it should be around 10.85:1.

The Intake Mainfold I will be using will be the LS3/L76 Car Style Intake. The heads are shipping out today and should be up here by next week along with the intake so I'll be sure to post some pictures of everything when I get them in.

Now I need to decide on a cam for this, I called Zippy last week and talked to him about cams for this type of setup and he said Comp's LSR™, 273LR HR12 with 223/231 duration and .610/.617 lift on a 112 LSA I believe.

Then I found this (LINK) dyno run of basically the exact same setup I'm going to have. In that dyno run that car made 460 rwhp and 446rwtq!!! Looks like it has an awesome torque curve. So I'm pretty sold on that cam not to mention it should sound great!

Other parts I need to find are a 90mm cable driven throttle body, 4 bolt style. Then new arp head bolts, head gaskets and other assorted gaskets I may need also some injector pigtails to rewire for the different LS3 injectors.

Now I need to decide on a cam for this, I called Zippy last week and talked to him about cams for this type of setup and he said Comp's LSR™, 273LR HR12 with 223/231 duration and .610/.617 lift on a 112 LSA I believe.

Then I found this (LINK) dyno run of basically the exact same setup I'm going to have. In that dyno run that car made 460 rwhp and 446rwtq!!! Looks like it has an awesome torque curve. So I'm pretty sold on that cam not to mention it should sound great!

Any opinions on this cam for this setup? dunno.gif

I agree with Zippy. My cam is tame (lamer) than that one and I am doing good for power:)

Getting the L92 head into the lift to reacher the higer flow numbers is important...the .600's lift gets you into that 300 (whatever unit) flow

I am doing an old school too...gonna stick with boosted LQ9, but admire your project.

in my L92 build thread I have a list of all the cams I was picking from...when I did my swap there was less guys running different set-ups so everyone was encouraged to check PTV clearence, with more guys up and running there are more cams to chose from b/c the PTV clearance ended up working, and for guys like me I needed to know what would fit and not have me checking a cam and have it not work...

I agree with Zippy. My cam is tame (lamer) than that one and I am doing good for power:)

Getting the L92 head into the lift to reacher the higer flow numbers is important...the .600's lift gets you into that 300 (whatever unit) flow

I am doing an old school too...gonna stick with boosted LQ9, but admire your project.

in my L92 build thread I have a list of all the cams I was picking from...when I did my swap there was less guys running different set-ups so everyone was encouraged to check PTV clearence, with more guys up and running there are more cams to chose from b/c the PTV clearance ended up working, and for guys like me I needed to know what would fit and not have me checking a cam and have it not work...

I'm glad you agree with Zippy on the cam choose it seems like a good one, the duration is similar to yours 224/230, where this one 223/231. Since I've seen this cam used in LS2's with L92 heads and the dyno graph link above it should run pretty good. Hows your setup running? Are you saying your going to boost your LQ9?

I got in the new LS3 Intake along with the 90mm throttle body! Everything looks awesome!!! Also ordered up the offset intake rocker arms and supports from the dealer for less than I can order them online for. LOL

DSC_0351Medium.jpg

DSC_0353Medium-1.jpg

I pulled the heads off the LQ9 last night and everything looks great, cleaned the top of the pistons too. I'll get some pics up in a bit. I ordered new ARP Head Bolts, and ARP Stainless Intake Bolts as well.

Here's what it looks like as of now!

Plan is to clean and sand the block, then prime and seal it and paint it Copperhead, the color of the truck. Should look good! I'm open to suggestions on painting other parts of the engine, I may want to find some nicer valve covers as I won't be able to run my Coil Covers with the LS3 intake.

DSC_0352Medium-1.jpg

DSC_0353Medium-3.jpg

Looks good check out my gallery I also added some pics of my 6.0, I got the pictures of the red gmc w/5.3 I was telling you about at the local car shows, and heres some pics of my 70 roadrunner(under construction) and my dads 69 dodge coronet(viper yellow). Let me know what you think and like I said engines going to look killer in that copperhead color.

post-18010-128680938319_thumb.jpg

post-18010-12868094105_thumb.jpg

post-18010-128680946891_thumb.png

Looks good check out my gallery I also added some pics of my 6.0, I got the pictures of the red gmc w/5.3 I was telling you about at the local car shows, and heres some pics of my 70 roadrunner(under construction) and my dads 69 dodge coronet(viper yellow). Let me know what you think and like I said engines going to look killer in that copperhead color.

Wow those are some nice cars and that gmc with the 5.3L is nice!

As far as painting the engine, I've got it prepped and sanded but I've got to wait until I can get it moved to my paint booth thing. Should come out looking really good!

Update!

New ARP Head Bolts and ARP Stainless Intake Bolts Came in the mail today!!! Then I also got a call from the dealer and the L92 offset rocker arms and supports came in as well.

Here's some pics:

DSC_0350Medium-1.jpg

DSC_0351Medium-2.jpg

DSC_0353Medium-4.jpg

DSC_0352Medium-2.jpg