Ms3 In The Ss?

As the title states, i'm debating on installing this cam in my ss. For those of you that don't know the specs (237/242 .603/.609 112lsa) Along with this possibly will be a different set of heads and intake. As for the intake, could I install a Fast LSXT intake or go to a car style intake? I'm still up in the air on what type of heads,any help there would be appreciated as well. Any issues with TC stall? (currently running a Yank PT3200) A high 12's truck is my goal without N2O. I'm currently running a comp cams XR275HR but I can't say i'm really happy with it. It makes good power but just too "wussy" sounding imo. :D

Thanks for any help.

In my opinion if this is a DD I would not go with that cam. You would have to spin the motor to 6600rpms to get the most out of it and have a 3800+ stall behind it to make it worth while. And you would lose alot of low end power.

If you want to get into the 12's and are thinking about doing heads and cam I would get a L92 setup. Get a custom ground cam to match your needs and you might be able to keep your current converter.

L92 heads

Victor Jr L76-L92 intake, elbow, injectors, and rails.

90mm Throttle body with Dr X link.

Custom ground cam (talk to Zippy)

Lifters, pushrods, springs.

If you have the supporting mods (headers, cai, built trans) you will be in the 12's with a good tune.

On another hand you can get this setup..... http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65256

I don't know if he still has it but it's proven. And a great price.

In my opinion if this is a DD I would not go with that cam. You would have to spin the motor to 6600rpms to get the most out of it and have a 3800+ stall behind it to make it worth while. And you would lose alot of low end power.

If you want to get into the 12's and are thinking about doing heads and cam I would get a L92 setup. Get a custom ground cam to match your needs and you might be able to keep your current converter.

L92 heads

Victor Jr L76-L92 intake, elbow, injectors, and rails.

90mm Throttle body with Dr X link.

Custom ground cam (talk to Zippy)

Lifters, pushrods, springs.

If you have the supporting mods (headers, cai, built trans) you will be in the 12's with a good tune.

On another hand you can get this setup..... http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65256

I don't know if he still has it but it's proven. And a great price.

I have all the supporting mods for this, les the higher stall. This truck gets drivin about 800 to 1000 miles a year and sits in the garage under a sheet the rest of the time. I still needs to be reliable but it's far from a daily driver. (16,000 miles on the odometer). I love the sound/power potential of the MS3, but I will be looking into some other ones as well. L92 Heads and some sort of Fast intake will probably be on the list on parts.

I have no experience with the MS3 - but I did look into using a LGM G5X3 and was told by LGM that they have installed several in trucks with 3000-rpm converters and they have worked out well. FWIW. Don't be afraid of the large cam :devil:

Mr. P. :)

I just wouldn't go with a cam that big, unless you really want to deal with a lot of things. I looked at that cam as well when i built my new set up and went with a cam just a touch smaller, 235. With a 235 cam my 4000 stall isn't enough, even with short tires. I haven't been able to 60 foot as good with better heads and larger cam since i used this 235. If you do use it be prepared for a 4000+ stall, shift points into the 7's(my smaller cam peaked at 6800 or something, and mine is on 111 lsa to "help" keep the peak lower), much shorter tires or lower gears(4.56) to keep you in the power band of the cam going down the track. with a 4000 stall stock gears and a 28" tire i'm still not near the rpm i need to be when i cross the lights in 3rd.

i would NOT use the victor intake on something like this. The very short runner intake only makes these large cams worse, trust me i'm running one. Using the long runner LSXRT intake would be better for your stall and 60 foot time but i don't know how much better.

I also would not pair that cam with l92 heads, the duration split isn't what i would be looking for on a cam with the same lifts, but this is a better question for zippy.

After lots of talks with zippy, and after living through going from a reasonable cam to a large cam....i don't see the benifit.

However if a 7200 shift point, no torque driving around town(even in 3rd gear), 6 mpg in the city, 10 on the highway in lock up, short tires, spring pressures that will wear out your cam bearings, 4000+ converters are what your looking for.....it will make power

Brad

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

...spring pressures that will wear out your cam bearings...

Haha yeah forgot about that - valvespring life with a cam like that is not a guaranteed thing! With the G5X3 I was told to expect valvespring replacement at 50K intervals! $$$

Mr. P. :)