STS Turbo - On my truck!

Hey Ben, I just had a few quick questions for you.  Does the sts kit come with new injectors, fuel pumps, rails etc...  What about programming.  Do you have a handheld programmer or are you sending your ecu somewhere.  And I am sure you have been asked this before, but with an upgraded fuel system, what sort of boost do you think a guy could run on an ss.  I told everyone i was gonna get a supercharger, but the more i hear my brothers turbo on his sti, the more i want a turbo myself.  By the way, there was a thread earlier about racing an sti.  And stock my brother kicked my A$$ and now he is gonna be running mid to high 12's with his so you would have to drop a crapload of money into a truck like ours to get it going that fast.

No, no, and no. I have LS1 edit. I think a stock SS could probably run 10-12lbs of boost with only a few minor issues. That couldn't be fixed with tuning, of course.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does the sts kit come with new injectors, fuel pumps, rails etc...

No. The base kit is designed not to need an upgrade from stock. If you upgrade the turbo, you'll want new injectors at minimum.

What about programming. Do you have a handheld programmer or are you sending your ecu somewhere.

Luckily, there is no handheld programmer associated with the kit, either. There is talk of getting a custom tuner involved with STS for inclusion in the kit, but you are free to use whatever tune you want. I know Allen at Nelson Performance can do a custom tune for this kit -- he was involved with the first SSS install (ssblackss).

STS does sell predators, I believe, but there is no "custom" handheld required with the kit.

You will need some kind of tune, because, let's face it, 5 psi is never gonna be enough :D

what sort of boost do you think a guy could run on an ss

I am shooting for 10 psi with the stock internals and heads. I think that is pretty aggressive. I think ssblackss is planning on 10 psi with the methanol injection system for added cooling to the intake charge. I am working on a lil sumpin sumpin towards that end but not ready to talk about details.

Oh what ever happened to that bet between you and Dennis? Does that mean you forfeit because you can't prove you can make it into the 12's with the Radix with that setup?? :confused:

Never got a chance to run it and find out, huh? I think it would have hit 12s.

Ben with your setup you would have been deep into the 12's. I can't wait to see how your STS project turns out :smash:

Way to go BEN!!!!

Just another update. The PID inside the HPTuners that says Delivered Engine Torque used to stay from 321 to 296 from 3900RPM to 5500rpm or so. I logged 15 WOT runs tonight and the best was 578lbft delivered torque with the average being 575lbft at 4000rpm to 520lbft at 5600rpm. If my math serves me right, about 257lbft is about a gain of 195HP around 4000rpm and 235HP by 5600Rpm. plug those numbers into a 1.4mile calc and you go from 14.6 to less than 13 really quickly.

I don't know how accurate they are... I ran a 14.6 @91 that said I had about 400FWHP or about 340 RWHP... 485RWHP to 600FWHP is 12.96 or so. Any comments? should I step back from the crack pipe now, or take another puff?

ok ben, first things first. once you get this thing together, leave the damn cam in it. :jester: good to hear you made the choice on the turbo. aside from the lag which you'll get used to, i think you'll like it more than the radix. you might miss the instant throttle responce, but getting that kind of boos with that low of parasitic drag is going to make for much more fun and more importantly power. keep us updated. :thumbs:

Way to go BEN!!!!

Just another update. The PID inside the HPTuners that says Delivered Engine Torque used to stay from 321 to 296 from 3900RPM to 5500rpm or so. I logged 15 WOT runs tonight and the best was 578lbft delivered torque with the average being 575lbft at 4000rpm to 520lbft at 5600rpm. If my math serves me right, about 257lbft is about a gain of 195HP around 4000rpm and 235HP by 5600Rpm. plug those numbers into a 1.4mile calc and you go from 14.6 to less than 13 really quickly.

I don't know how accurate they are... I ran a 14.6 @91 that said I had about 400FWHP or about 340 RWHP... 485RWHP to 600FWHP is 12.96 or so. Any comments? should I step back from the crack pipe now, or take another puff?

Brent, wasn't aware that the HPthingy had a built in dyno. Honestly, may be just my ignorance, but I have never heard of anyone using those numbers for any real values.

Man if you gained 200hp from only, even 10lbs of boost, this would be the best system there was - ever. I just don't think you got that much, although I could be wrong.

ok ben, first things first. once you get this thing together, leave the damn cam in it. :jester: good to hear you made the choice on the turbo. aside from the lag which you'll get used to, i think you'll like it more than the radix. you might miss the instant throttle responce, but getting that kind of boos with that low of parasitic drag is going to make for much more fun and more importantly power. keep us updated. :thumbs:

Hopefully the added torque from a stroker will fulfill the need for that instant torque.

Getting rid of the headers because they provide no advantage over the stock exhaust manifolds. Makes it easier if I have to start getting inspected.

Hey Ben, you got a cam you need to get rid of? With all the research you did to get the right one for the radix set up you shouldn't let it go to waste. You want to sell it let me know. With all the other mods I have planned for the rally what's a cam install :jester:

the 408 should give plenty of torque before the boost. :jester:

i don't see why the headers are no gain over manifolds though. exhaust still has to get out.

Several Speed shops, Combination motorsports, STS, and some others have all said basically the same thing. Mid length headers aren't worth but maybe a few ponies and not worth the cost if you do not already have them... However, all shops mentioned do believe that high flow CATs will get you into boost and overcome spoolup more quickly. No more ponies, but full boost at lower RPM. I may try that next!!!

The GT40 comes off tomorrow. It has been fun. The boost creep is scary! But DAMNED that truck is fast on the highway!

Going to try and gut my cats to keep the stock look for inspection purposes, instead of going with a hi-flow cat. I have a pair of the highest flowing cat on the market. Flow over 500cfm (Random Tech cat).

Brent, explain boost creep.

i don't see why the headers are no gain over manifolds though. exhaust still has to get out.

Zippy - it may be that it provides a few horsepower to keep them. Not as much as they would for a supercharged motor though. I was told they wouldn't make much difference, so I made a command decision. I sold them for $600, and that allowed me to pretty much take zero money out of my pocket to get the system. A key element when you're trying to get approval from the wife.

Archived