STS Turbo - On my truck!

Well, it looks like almost a firm deal with me getting a turbo from STS. I put my supercharger up for sale on ebay and it's sold. Also sold my ASM headers to the same guy. All in all, I came out $175 to the better after all is said and done.

I talked at length with Dave at STS and with my setup, both him and Rick (owner I think), believe the GT-70 is going to be my best bet. My only requirement was to hit 15lbs of boost, if I wanted. That was the answer.

I have talked with my local speed shop (Speed Unlimited) here in Pensacola and they are now becoming a STS dealer. Hopefully that works out well for them, and it really does for me. They have everything ready to go right now and can ship out tomorrow morning, as soon as I make the call. That is the plan, as it sits right now.

So, the race is on to finish getting my motor built, which I'll talk about in a minute, and get this system installed and get off to KS.

My motor is all bored and ready to go. All measurements for centerline, geometry, squaring, etc....etc...(a lot of big words I don't know crap about) is done. The guy that did the boring is the most meticulous machine guy around, so my speed shop says and the best in town. Which is good for me. He is also putting in my cam bearings. I had just a normal set of bearings that were going to go in but they already had copper showing through - brand new. So, a new set of Durabond bearing were fedexed overnight and found to be the wrong size. These were actually over-sized bearings. So, a new set of Durabond, non-coated (the others were coated) are being sent fedex overnight, tonight, to get here tomorrow. The machine guy has the capability to coat parts - same type of moly-type coating you can get done at numerous race shops. So, he is going to be coating my cam bearings and while he is at it, is going to coat my pistons. So, if all works out well, I should have my motor by this weekend.

I basically will have about 3 days to get it all in and somewhat tuned. I just need to get all the Radix stuff out of my truck and boxed up and a new set of 42lb multec II injectors ordered and put back in the Radix. My 60lb'rs will be staying with me.

Numerous people have asked about my motor, so I thought I would start a new thread about both. Too bad I won't have time to hook up a little nitrous to go with it - just a little.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I should have my motor by this weekend.

F*ckin A BenKey! We expect pics AND video :pop:

My kit goes in Friday (that is if Racetronix can get its collective ass together to get the last injector to me before Thursday afternoon).

Erik, you going to KS?

Ben:

Whats the system setting you back? (if you don't mind me asking) I am starting to think this might be a better system for me than the S/C.

Base kit is $3995, $800 upgrade (mine-GT70), $300 blowoff valve. Not what I paid, but getting good deals on both ends, so yours may be different.

Erik, you going to KS?

Man, I wish I could. I am starting a new job on 7/6 though, and don't think I can ask em for a few days off right off the bat :D Although it is a very cool company... Hmmmmm.

...getting good deals on both ends, so yours may be different.

I tell ya what -- they are VERY appreciative if you hook up a local speed shop or do some leg work for them. I am very impressed with Dave and Rick and their williness to get this kit on SSSs.

Just give 'em a call and see what you can work out. They are very willing to entertain crackpot ideas and other suggestions. In the end, you walk away feeling like you're getting a turbo kit and some cool, gear-headed friends in Utah.

Oh what ever happened to that bet between you and Dennis? Does that mean you forfeit because you can't prove you can make it into the 12's with the Radix with that setup?? :confused:

xxjiggaxx you've got a memory like an elephant. Ben was just taking it easy on me :jester: I'm sure he would have broken into the twelves :P Heck if you don't count the funds he got back for his Radix he will have 12g's into his ride :smash:

be3.jpg

Hey Ben, I just had a few quick questions for you. Does the sts kit come with new injectors, fuel pumps, rails etc... What about programming. Do you have a handheld programmer or are you sending your ecu somewhere. And I am sure you have been asked this before, but with an upgraded fuel system, what sort of boost do you think a guy could run on an ss. I told everyone i was gonna get a supercharger, but the more i hear my brothers turbo on his sti, the more i want a turbo myself. By the way, there was a thread earlier about racing an sti. And stock my brother kicked my A$$ and now he is gonna be running mid to high 12's with his so you would have to drop a crapload of money into a truck like ours to get it going that fast.

Oh what ever happened to that bet between you and Dennis? Does that mean you forfeit because you can't prove you can make it into the 12's with the Radix with that setup?? :confused:

Never got a chance to run it and find out, huh? I think it would have hit 12s.

Archived