New Mag-Hytec Transmission Pan

When I had my transmission rebuilt, I had a higher stall converter put in as well. The down side is higher transmission temps when towing. So to (hopefull) fix this, I got a aluminum transmission pan and a electric fan for my B&M transmission cooler.

Mag-Hytec - Model: #4L60E-B

IMG_2531.jpg

Since the SS comes with a high capacity pan already, the replacement pan only holds about 1.5 quarts more than the stock pan, according to Mag-Hytec.

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2540.jpg

If I had read the process for removing the transmission pan before I started, I would have gladly paid to have somebody else do it.

Tranny Pan Help. Please Hurry.

But I just dove in thinking it would be straight forward like my 64 Impala… But as others have noted, some idiot at GM designed the shift cable mounting and bracket such that it blocks removal of the pan. To make matters worse the bolts to remove it are on the top side of the transmission where they are hard to reach. I did the suggested “bend the bracket” routine and that got the old pan off. But to have enough room to bend the bracket, I had to remove the front drive shaft. That was not too big a deal, just unbolt the front u-joint and push it back to clear the yoke, then drop it down and pull it forward. Takes a bit of wiggling to get the last bit out, and likewise to get it back in.

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

As I went to put the new pan in place, it was no surprise that it jammed against the exhaust. So I loosened the three driver’s side exhaust pipe to manifold bolts, and jammed a piece of pipe between the frame and body to hold the exhaust down and away from the transmission. This got me just enough room to get the new pan in.

Clearly the designers in charge of the layout of things around the transmission pan should be sentenced to working at a transmission shop changing filters on Silverados for the rest of their lives.

Functionality aside, this is a cool looking addition to the SS, just a lot more pain to install than it ought to be.

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

• 5 months later...

I guess I dont understand how everyone is having trouble getting the trans pan off? I have pulled mine numorious times with no problems. I do see in your pictures you left the shifter cable in place and that could of been your issue

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is old.

The shift cable is 2 torx head bolts to remove it. Also you can loosen the 15mm nut on the mount and jack up the trans to clear the exhaust. you don't have to remove the driveshaft or the exhaust if you jack up the trans.

I love this stuff. Thanks man. I've never done this trick either. Jacking up the trans is a great way to do it.

I've never had the option of removing the torx bolts up top either. They've always been so corroded I couldn't even tell what they were. Cleveland snow and salt. Never had a brand new truck either. I checked the trans area on the SS out the other night, and everything looks amazing under there, but I reached up on the shifter bracket and those torx bolt heads are just little piles of rust. I thought for sure this would be the one I don't have to bend and cuss at for a half hour. Lol

It actually looks like there's enough clearance to get the pan off without even bending the bracket though, so maybe I'll luck out like some others have.

I love this stuff. Thanks man. I've never done this trick either. Jacking up the trans is a great way to do it.

I've never had the option of removing the torx bolts up top either. They've always been so corroded I couldn't even tell what they were. Cleveland snow and salt. Never had a brand new truck either. I checked the trans area on the SS out the other night, and everything looks amazing under there, but I reached up on the shifter bracket and those torx bolt heads are just little piles of rust. I thought for sure this would be the one I don't have to bend and cuss at for a half hour. Lol

It actually looks like there's enough clearance to get the pan off without even bending the bracket though, so maybe I'll luck out like some others have.

I forgot to add 'I know this thread is old.'

I'm still glad the tip exists here though.

• 3 years later...