Drive By Wire To Drive By Cable Conversion

does ANYBODY know how or has a write up on how to convert drive by wire to drive by cable? I have an 04SS with a 408 and victor jr set up and drive by wire is acting funny and and dont work verry good....... if anyone knows abt this plz let me know thanks

Chances are that it will be easier to just fix the problem with the drive by wire as the drive by wire is integrated into the truck. If you were to switch to a drive by cable you would have to add wiring for the TPS sensor and IAC motor which I'm not sure if it would even work.

I've dealt with issues with the drive by wire before and its a pain, but usually can be fixed somewhat easily.It could also be in the tune if your truck is modded at all.

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

well i got a 2 stage fogger system on a 408 and i need to switch to drive by cable bc im trying to run it on a wot switch bc if it desides to burp in the middle of a spray and the butterfly shuts im screwed and i can run a bigger throttle body bc i have not found a single aftermarket drive by wire throttle body

you can use a tps switch instead of a WOT switch like the carb guys use. If the voltage goes down on the tps switch it cuts the N20.

As far as throttle bodies go, you can get a 80mm bbk, 87mm tbss , 90mm corvette, or what i just got is a nick williams drive by wire 102mm

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-1158-nick-williams-102mm-throttle-body-drive-by-wire.aspx

i just hooked this up to see if the throttle blades would go WOT and it seems to work. I used the ls2 adapter harness for the TB and a X-link for the stock wiring to the ls2.

products like this work well for the DBW guys, and is an all in one package for a n20 controller

http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/product.php?productid=586&cat=58&page=1

http://www.fjoracing.com/products/2stageminicontroller/

http://www.trickperformanceproducts.com/tpp_00019.htm

the TPS is connected to the blade so if the blade would close it shuts it off for you

and for the love of god...give us more info on your truck!!!! It sounds bad ass!

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

thanks for the info on the products it helps out alott. and there is picks of it under the general members fourm and the title is "the SS" the none fogger intake is for the new turbo setup

and also how the hell would you hook up the 102mm throttle body

this hooks up to the TPS and motor on the DBW NW 102 TB

88-NWWH Nick Williams Wiring Harness Adapter, Converts LS2/LS3/LS7 harness to work w/ NW 102mm/105mm Throttle Bodies $59.99

then that harness hooks up into this one.

http://www.torquerush.com/Purchase.html

and this one hooks into your truck.

It seems like a lot but its plug and play.

so the edelbrock elbow is for the turbo set up? The picture with the n20 system on it already has the best tb you can put on the victor intake. I've heard a direct tb like that can produce as much as 40 hp to the rear wheels over an elbow like the edelbrock one. I also noticed the edelbrock elbow is a 3 bolt elbow and all the larger tb's are 4 bolt.

the first post of this link has a picture of the TB and harness

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/parts-classifieds/1295463-fs-nw-102mm-dbw-tb-harness.html

here is picture of the NW 4 bolt tb and the tbss 4 bolt tb

DSC00720.jpg

here is a picture of the x-link by the valve cover and the NW tb with the harness on it

DSC00719.jpg

i was gonna use the throttle body put its drive by cable so thats kind of my problem right now. i want to use it but i dont know a way to switch it over, also the elbow actually can take a four bolt or a three bolt and the factory throttle body was a three bolt but i see that yours is a four bolt...... dunno y

but i just noticed on your throttle body its got external tps sensor and aic motor i wounder if i could get a cable and gas pedel out of a 03 or 02 and figure out a way to trick the electronic throttle body part

your over thinking this whole thing .

if your using nitrous and your worried about safety look into a window switch. ( look at nitro daves or nitrous outlet same place) they have a nice one that has two small buttons with a red display .

you can run two stage's on it . you can set either stage to turn on and off at your choosen rpm . it also has a built in wot switch that you tap into your throttle % wire so when your not wot it will disarm the system

switching to a dbc for the use of a wot switch is going backwards in technology .

read , ask questions and dont beleive everything you hear.

Ok i see now. You wanted to use the acufab, holley or what ever brand that TB is in the picture. Yeah i don't think they make those in DBW so you have to do the convert or use your elbow with a larger tb.

If you post the pic of that tb in this thread it might help others to understand why you wanted to do this. Although they are worth more HP, it may not be worth it for all the work you have to do to run it. Convert to cable, and come up with a custom intake tube as well.

the DBW tb is really a nice piece. With a simple tps switch your nitrous problem is solved. I would try to sell the cable TB you have and upgrade to a larger DBW TB.

The tb i have in the picture is a trailblazer ss TB. The ls2 motors use a larger 87-90mm 4 bolt one so i upgraded to that using the x-link to run it. The x link also runs the 102mm as long as you have the adapter harness. My truck came with the 3 bolt 78mm DBW wire tb.

ALso make sure the bore on the elbow you have can support a 102mm before you buy one, or buy another elbow like the one i have pictured. The one i have pictured puts the TB back into stock location so all the off the shelf cold air intakes work with it.

yeah i got a 102mm elbow and i have a tbss throttlebody but i cant find a wire harness adapter to go from a 8 plug to a 6 plug i believe thats what it is and i app. all the pointers you are giving me bc i want to get this thing knocked out soon

While its common place using the adapter harness and x-link to adapt the Gen III Corvette style 102mm and larger throttle bodies from Nick Williams, it can also be accomplished by using all factory gear as well. The Vette and CTS-V units before the LS2 were released all used a throttle body with the separate TPS sensor as was pictured earlier and the same style was used on '02 and earlier trucks when equipped with ETC. The only difference between the car and truck versions were the side the drive motor and TPS was located on. The car versions had the motor on the driver's side, while the trucks had it on the passenger side. Due to the difficulty and expense of finding the older style ETC throttle bodies; there have been folks that have just replaced their TAC module and harness for a '03 and up style and it works perfectly. The accelerator peddle is common between the early and later models, so it doesn't need replaced to function. The bottom line is when using matching components (ETC throttle body, TAC module & harness); everything will function properly without changes necessary to the ECM. That's to get it to function, however changes to the ECM will be necessary due to the large increase in size of the throttle body itself.

To retrofit a cable operated throttle body on an ETC equipped truck will require a custom OS be flashed into the ECM, as well as the mechanical components of the system and harness. While it should still be possible, its getting harder as time goes on to find a cable operated file to do a segment swap from due to pretty much all the current models since 2003 going ETC.

Edited by Bear (see edit history)