Z06 Brake Conversion

rudy91040

Ran into another snag, clearance on Boss 330's. I'm in the process of buying new hubs and replacing the wheel studs to 2" so I can slide a 5/8" spacer to clear the caliper. I can't be too pissed since I scored these wheels for practically free. Just sucks, one thing after another.

So wha were your clearance issues with the Boss 330's I have a set of 24s and would like to run a big brake kit or and Z06 set. would a spacer have helped?

For 22's I needed to add a 5/8 spacer to clear. But if you add that big of a spacer your lug bolts aren't long enough. Now I can't speak for any other big brake upgrade other than the Z06's they my run a different center line.

To answer your question there was no way the 330's would clear because of their concave design. This was my clearance after the spacer was installed.

F41AFBE7-787A-4AEB-B9E2-5179B9458C4E_zps

The issue then is your studs aren't long enough. And finding longer studs with the same Knurl is impossible. Not only are they pressed in. If your thinking on changing out your hub to change the studs, it's getting into a hairy area of too much modding. Will the hubs hold up? If the knurl size is slightly small will it strip out.... Good luck and let us know how you make out.. IMHO, sell the 330's And get reps. They Will clear.

Edited by A_FuriouSS (see edit history)

For 22's I needed to add a 5/8 spacer to clear. But if you add that big of a spacer your lug bolts aren't long enough. Now I can't speak for any other big brake upgrade other than the Z06's they my run a different center line.

To answer your question there was no way the 330's would clear because of their concave design. This was my clearance after the spacer was installed.

F41AFBE7-787A-4AEB-B9E2-5179B9458C4E_zps

The issue then is your studs aren't long enough. And finding longer studs with the same Knurl is impossible. Not only are they pressed in. If your thinking on changing out your hub to change the studs, it's getting into a hairy area of too much modding. Will the hubs hold up? If the knurl size is slightly small will it strip out.... Good luck and let us know how you make out.. IMHO, sell the 330's And get reps. They Will clear.

Ok thanks. I'm up for changing wheels if need be because lets face it with more power you also need more stopping power. so to run a bigger brake I would run and different set of wheels. I really like the wilwood tc6r brakes. they have come down a lot in the past two years. so I was thinking of going with those or the Z06. what do the Z06 kits run $3K to $3500? I know the wilwoods you can now get for $4000-$4300 depending on what style rotor you run and they are 16" up front and 14" out back.

3k would be for both fronts and backs. The Z06 conversion is the cheapest way to a big brake upgrade. That would be with Russel Stainless all around.

The big pro with Baer and wilwood is they have manufactured brackets that fit to factory spindles that center and sit properly on their rotors. Rudy has done an amazing job engineering a bracket to fit a Baer Rotor with a Corvette Caliper. Granted the fronts aren't making 100% contact but it's enough to feel a significant difference in stopping power regardless.

Edited by A_FuriouSS (see edit history)

Thanks for the kind words. I try my best to make a quality product that is as close as posible to being a truly bolt-on part as possible, but I have to give credit where credit is due. Ray aka supersub was the one that developed the first front bracket to work with the 15" rotor. I simply tweaked the design fine tuned it a bit and carried on the torch after he decided not to make any more. Before, another person made a different version of bracket that worked with a 14" rotor and before that someone else made a different bracket.

3k would be for both fronts and backs. The Z06 conversion is the cheapest way to a big brake upgrade. That would be with Russel Stainless all around.

The big pro with Baer and wilwood is they have manufactured brackets that fit to factory spindles that center and sit properly on their rotors. Rudy has done an amazing job engineering a bracket to fit a Baer Rotor with a Corvette Caliper. Granted the fronts aren't making 100% contact but it's enough to feel a significant difference in stopping power regardless.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have a choice to make when it comes time to battle the brakes. I'll just be stoked when the time comes where I can drive it and actually use brakes. Lol I'm not crazy about the factory brakes with 24's I have had to mash on the brakes a time or two, its a bit scary.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone looked into CTS-V V1 or V2 calipers? I'm just curious as to see if either of those calipers would be similar to the C6Z calipers. I have some contacts that could help me with a bracket design if I get really ambitious but I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same thoughts. This idea had really got me thinking the last few days.. :drool::dunno:

Thanks for letting me know, I must have skimmed over that page. My fault! I completely understand your viewpoint. I wouldn't want to manufacture anything I wasn't comfortable with either. Part of me just wants to make my own set just so I could say I have them. If you'd just make your own set would you be comfortable with running them on your vehicle or are there too many compromises to the integrity of the mount/strength/spindle?

Its been a while since I did the mock up. I honestly don't remember exactly why nothing looked like a good way to make a bracket. I just remember that there wasn't anything that particularly jumped out at me as the best route. Please don't let me discourage you. If you have the time and means to make a custom or even repeatable bracket that is safe, go for it. I was simply answering your your question if anyone had looked into it. I will say this. The caliper was on loan to me, so I only had it for a little while to play with it. I've have had instances where I was trying to modify or make something and at first I didn't have any great ideas as to how to accomplish my goal. I came back to it after some time, and saw things differently and came up with a plan and did what I wanted to do. Another thing that I just thought of while typing this. I don't think I ever tried mocking everything up on a drop spindle. Can't say if it would make things better or worse. But I will say that if you did make a bracket that worked with a drop spindle, do it for the McGaughy. I've had way more people want to do the Z06 upgrade on the McGaughy spindles than any other brand and all drop spindles are not the same.

Oh don't worry about it, I'm just thinking about it and seeing if someone like you who has lots of experience with these brake upgrades would have some insight. I would probably see what I could think of for the stock spindles initially but'll I'll definitely keep the McGaughys in mind if I do venture into the unknown haha. This is more of a dream project than anything. Thanks!

• 1 month later...