Z06 Brake Conversion

rudy91040

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Arn_mob said:

Can you fabricate a 5th gen camaro brembo caliper brakes bracket to a 2004 silverado? What would something like this would you sell for? do you have a Instagram? 

Anything is possible given enough time and money. I looked into this years ago and in my opinion, it’s not a viable option. No instagram. Not a big fan of social media. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey gang,

I am writing to everyone that has put these brakes on their trucks.  I have a few questions and an explanation leading to those questions.  First off, I have had the brakes on my wife's 2009 Escalade for about 7 months now if I recall correctly.  At first after installing them things were great.  Increased braking performance with much better looks for sure.  About two months ago I started to notice some chatter/vibration upon braking.  It worsened with time and I figured it was a warped rotor.  So I took all four of them off and had them turned.  When I picked them up the shop that did it told be they were slightly outta spec but not terrible.  When I put them back on it seemed as though the chatter was better but not enough to say it was solved.  So, since then I started chasing other areas that might be contributing factors.  I knew I had a bad right front wheel bearing so I replaced both front bearings while replacing the front CV joints for the AWD.  Didn't think the CV's would have anything to do with it but they were leaking grease bad.  No improvement.  Just changed from single pads to padlettes at all for corners last week.  No improvements.  So now I confused and don't know where to look next.  I have double and triple checked all the bolts for the adapters and the calipers.  All tight.  The only thing I can think of is maybe the rear wheel bearings?  

1. Has anyone else chased this or a similar problem when switching to these monoblock Z06's calipers on their trucks?

2. What else should I be looking for?

3. Could the fact that the pads dont cover 100% of the disc have anything to do with it?

4. If I swap out the front rotors am I to understand that they now are making the two-piece rotors again at BAER?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated as I really do not want to go back to stockers for several reasons.

Hunter

469-766-2667

Hey Hunter. While I don’t have answers to everything I can answer some questions and have a few suggestions. 

1/2.  In all the time I’ve been selling these brackets I’ve only had one other person report back to have an issue like you.  It’s been a while but I believe he replaced a bunch of parts like you and in the end, the rotor was warping from over torquing the lug nuts. I’d also recommend pulling everything apart and checking mating surfaces. Make sure there aren’t any rub marks, impact marks, or any damage.  Check for the mating surfaces to be fairly flat and true.  

3.  The problem is most like not the pads not being 100% contact with the rotor.  There are way too many guys running Z06 calipers that don’t have any issues.  If that were the cause we would see way more people with the same issue.

4. To my knowledge, Baer has always made a 2-part rotor an option for the front.  They cost about twice as much from what I understand and I believe much lighter as well.  

Edited by rudy91040 (see edit history)

Rudy,

Thanks for the reply.  Very interesting.......Over-torquing the lug nuts can essentially bend the rotor huh?  That's hard to get my head around but I guess it can happen like you say.  Interesting side note I have been going back and forth with Mark from BAER and I asked him whether they were making the two-piece again and he said the following, cut and pasted from his email: New rotors and pads is probably the way to go. As for the two-piece rotors, it appears that you have GM truck rotors which are only available in 1-piece.  Now I am really confused.  Do they make them or not?

I personally have never warped my rotors my over torquing but the other person that has a similar problem said that was the culprit.  As far as I know, the 2-piece rotors have been around long before these brackets. I’m not sure why they are telling you it’s only for the 1 ton trucks.  I know there have been people that have called Baer in the past and got some weird answers. When they make a mistake and it gets figured out the excuse is typically “oh, I was looking at the wrong list.”  More than once I spoke with someone there and got that response. I’ve even had people email me saying that they spoke with someone at Baer and the part numbers listed in the how to are not correct. But if I go on Baer’s website, they are the same as a I posted. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well gang I have lost my patience with this upgrade and I am about to move back to stock brakes all the way around on my Escalade.  I am tired of chasing the shimmy which must be my truck since nobody else has this issue....I will make someone a heck of a deal if they want to take my entire setup.  what I have:

- 4 yellow calipers with Cadillac instead of Corvette logo

- 4 Rudy brackets

- 2 Baer rear one-piece rotors

- 2 Baer front 2-piece rotors

I'd do the whole set up for 1500 bucks

On 11/21/2019 at 8:56 PM, hunterp27 said:

well gang I have lost my patience with this upgrade and I am about to move back to stock brakes all the way around on my Escalade.  I am tired of chasing the shimmy which must be my truck since nobody else has this issue....I will make someone a heck of a deal if they want to take my entire setup.  what I have:

- 4 yellow calipers with Cadillac instead of Corvette logo

- 4 Rudy brackets

- 2 Baer rear one-piece rotors

- 2 Baer front 2-piece rotors

I'd do the whole set up for 1500 bucks

Do you have an email to discuss I maybe interested 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...