224/228 .581, .581 110 Lsa

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should I get this cam?

So a friend of mine has a practically brand new cam he's trying to sell me but I wanted to get a few opinions on it from you guys first. My truck is a DD, not planning on going F/I. Have full exhaust, tuned by Wheatley, built trans and TCS 3000 converter. Also if anyone has any suggestions as to different cam specs please feel free to post them up. So, any real advice or info would be awesome. Thanks fellas!

Zach

EDIT: Lift is .581, .588 sorry

Edited by zachm89 (see edit history)

So a friend of mine has a practically brand new cam he's trying to sell me but I wanted to get a few opinions on it from you guys first. My truck is a DD, not planning on going F/I. Have full exhaust, tuned by Wheatley, built trans and TCS 3000 converter. Also if anyone has any suggestions as to different cam specs please feel free to post them up. So, any real advice or info would be awesome. Thanks fellas!

Zach

EDIT: Lift is .581, .588 sorry

i like the specs minus the 110. it will make your power band more peaky. You'll end up close to my torque and power curve, nothing down low, then it hits real fast and drops off fast. With a 114 or 113 lsa i think it would work better. your 3000 stall would be the minimum i would run on a 113-114, a 3400 would hit right in the power band i would think and your 60 foot times would be better.

yeah, ive been back and forth with the guy over the 110 lsa and the powerband. Im not going to a converter with more stall, plain and simple thats decided since the truck is a DD, haha. My buddy had this cam in his 5.3 with a 3000-3200 stall and loved it, but then again he didnt drive it every day either. He also seems to think that since it will be going in a 6.0 this time the 110 will be soaked up a little bit by the extra cubes of the motor and not be so radical. Im not overly worried about being perfectly in the powerband and cutting super low 60 ft times, im mainly into it for a little added power and the sound from the cam.

As heavy as these trucks are, youll want at LEAST a 3600 with that cam to be happy. You wont meet your performance needs that cam and ur 3000 verter........

I already knew your opinion yellow_loser.gif Couple of questions though....Will the truck be faster than with the stock cam? Id like to think so. Will that setup still be somewhat streetable to use for a DD? Hopefully. Will it be AS FAST as it COULD be with a bigger converter? No, im sure it wont be. But then again thats not what im going for wink2.gif

I already knew your opinion yellow_loser.gif Couple of questions though....Will the truck be faster than with the stock cam? Id like to think so. Will that setup still be somewhat streetable to use for a DD? Hopefully. Will it be AS FAST as it COULD be with a bigger converter? No, im sure it wont be. But then again thats not what im going for wink2.gif

I know your not going for fast, but you also dont want to go backwards. These trucks depend on low end, if you take that away they wont even get out of their own way. If you get a cam that raises the powerband that much, you better get a converter to get it there. If you dont have or want a converter that big, then dont get a cam that big. Youll hate yourself and be highly disapointed

Just save and get a blower and be done rolleyes.gif

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

You'll def need a higher stall for that cam and will see gains over stock. I wouldn't put that cam in unless you get another tc and get a good deal on the cam. If you want to do a cam swap, your gonna need gaskets, pushrods, and springs, along with tuning, sop you are gonna need to have the money to do the swap. FWIW, if you want to do a cam, have one ground to your needs and wants and get a tc. Driving around with a higher stall is fun and isn't all that bad. My truck has a 3800 with a 238/242 .605/.610 114+4 lsa and isn't that bad as a daily with 8mpg. It's only one mpg less from when I had my radix :jester:

yes the truck will be faster with that cam, but on the street it will come out out of lock up a lot more and be sluggish at lower speeds. For a DD that cam is great......on a 114 or a 113. That cam is VERY close to the cam i used to run a 12.82 and pulled 425 RWHP through the truck intake, but mine is on a 113. It was good on the street with a very tight 3000 stall, more of a 2700. However my 60 foot times were almost stock untill i raised the stall, it wanted a 3400. I just don't see the 110 being a good cam for your truck, so i would not buy it. Order the same cam on a 114 and have fun with a broader power band

id have to say im definitely agreeing with you guys on the streetablity of that cam...the 110 lsa has really been my only reason i havent already agreed to buy the cam from him. I know all the extra costs that go along with a cam swap, i dont plan to cheap out on anything. I know i dont NEED more than comp 918 or pac 1518 springs but im going to go ahead and get the prc dual spring kit to get some more life out of them along with the tex speed hardened pushrods and whatever gaskets are needed. My main thing here is the tc will NOT be changed under any circumstances, im sticking to the 3000 and thats it. So if that means a smaller cam and slower 60 ft times then ill just have to deal with it. Ive had my truck for over a year now and it hasnt seen the track once so getting out of the hole isnt my biggest concern. Im looking for a bad ass daily driver truck that will get up and go when i need it to and scare the hell out of some people on the street and so far the truck already does that :P so anything at all that i gain is a plus for me! Thanks for all the input guys, its greatly appreciated!! cheers.gif

Good to see you gaining knowledge before jumping into something like this man. If there is anybody around you with a cammed truck with a 3400-3600 stall, I would go take a ride with him if possible so you can feel the and see the difference with the stall. I understand you're very determined to keep your 3000 stall and the truck is a daily, but a slightly higher stall opens up a bunch of windows and is worth the gains if your gonna go through the trouble of doing a cam swap. Are you worried about gas mileage or all around streetability and that's why you won't change the stall?

If there is anybody around you with a cammed truck with a 3400-3600 stall, I would go take a ride with him if possible so you can feel the and see the difference with the stall. I understand you're very determined to keep your 3000 stall and the truck is a daily, but a slightly higher stall opens up a bunch of windows and is worth the gains if your gonna go through the trouble of doing a cam swap.

this

I'm glad to see you have a plan. Unless your building the truck up starting with nothing, you have to pick the part that everything else will match up to. If thats your 3000 stall then stick to it and match your new parts around that one and you will be just as happy. Will a higher stall be better for the track, yeah, but if its not in the plans, then stick to it. Keep the intake duration right around that 224 mark and maybe a 114 lsa to get a wider power curve. The truck will still pull like mad from a roll and on the highway with a cam like that just on a diff lsa.

Have you planned anything for heads? Zippy is fan of a large runner head making the power and then controlling it with the cam. Maybe you can look into a wicked set of heads but then tame the cam down with a touch less duration and a bit less lift to keep the power in the 3000 stall range. He might be the man to ask about that.

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

My specs are 224/228 .581 .588 lsa 114+4

Converter is 2600 stall and this is my daily driver

I am no expert I just saw how close this was to my cam and thought I should post. This cam was chosen by my engine builder and I have a blower so I don't know if this will help you any but good luck with your search.cheers.gif

SSplaytoy, i dont know anyone in my area with a cammed vehicle other than a few f-body and corvette guys that ive just seen driving around town, no trucks though. And yes, my main concerns are every day driving and somewhat keeping my gas mileage in a decent range. cant afford to be getting 8-10 mpg's with gas at 2.80+ a gallon with as much as i drive.

Brian, this-->greddy.gif

Shadow, my initial cam and converter recommendation was from Zippy but I havent really put much thought into changing the heads, at least not any time soon. Ive kind of been building my knowledge about cams and converters from his original thoughts on what would be good for my truck and goals for it.

All in all, im just gunna have to tell my buddy that the cam he has doesnt really match up well for my truck and goals. I really appreciate all the info and advice, i wouldnt have posted this thread if i wasnt looking for some good insight from people with more knowledge on the subject. Very glad i didnt just drop the money for his cam and be stuck with something that wouldnt really fit my truck well. So for now its back to the drawing board on the cam, ive got a few months to save up money before ill be able to do the swap anyway, so ive got plenty of time to figure out what i really need.