How To: Walbro Fuel Pump In 2003 Silverado Ss

thomp62301

This is my How-To on installing a Walbro 255LHP fuel pump on my 2003 Silverado SS with the return style fuel system. If theres anything you feel I need to add or change, feel free to chime in.

First I dropped the fuel tank by removing the 3 hoses and 2 electrical connections. Followed by the 2 straps holding the tank in place. Just make sure you have ran the tank low so your not bench pressing 20+ gallons of fuel. I ran the truck till the low fuel light was on and was able to drop it and lift it back up fairly easily. You can also remove the bed if you prefer to avoid the above. It just will take a few friends and maybe even a few beers to get it off.

With the tank out, I used a large screwdriver and a hammer to remove the retaining ring. Then remove the pump assembly.

HPIM3442.jpg

Next, dissemble the pump assembly completely and with a die grinder, I ground the bottom of the pump housing smooth so the new pump would fit in place. I also had to do a little grinding to the underside so the new sock would slide onto the bottom.

HPIM3431.jpg

HPIM3433.jpg

HPIM3432.jpg

HPIM3434.jpg

HPIM3435.jpg

I then installed the new pump into the cage. The pump fit fairly snug, but I did drill two holes and secured the pump just for some more piece of mind.

HPIM3439.jpg

The kit I used was from Magna Charger for the 04-up silversado’s with the non return fuel system so the hose supplied in the kit was not long enough. So I used some high pressure fuel line and clamps.

HPIM3437.jpg

You will then have to cut the electrical connector off the harness and crimp on 2 push on style connectors to plug into the new pump.

HPIM3436.jpg

Final product

HPIM3438.jpg

Final step is to reassemble the pump assembly and reinstall into the tank.

You can now rest assure you have plenty of fuel for your future mods.

DO YOU REMEMBER THE MODEL NUMBER FOR THE PUMP?

• 2 months later...

Rob777, your truck started sputtering? I have the Walbro 255 pump and lately my truck has been doing the same thing. I am showing 60 psi on my Guage. Let me tell you, one huge headache over this. It's intermittent. Will work fine one minute, the next it's sputtering like I dropped a cylinder. I'm not getting any codes either

Edited by everfife (see edit history)

• 1 year later...