Dim Or Dark Prnd21 Fix

paulguy

I've gotten butt-loads of useful info on this site, and I figured I should try to help out since I haven't seen a fix for this anywhere and have heard about this problem before.

I repaired my gear indicator display, it was just a bad solder on a resistor.

I don't have a before pic, but it was really dim(maybe 1/2 the brightness of the dic), almost unreadable in the daytime.

gear_indicator_fix.jpg

cluster_pics_005.jpg

Sorry about the crappy pics :)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

good to hear

mine just went dim a few weeks ago, then last week the light behind the voltmeter went out too! i already had all steppers/leds replaced a few years ago, but i see you switched to blue ones? any chance of a writeup with pics on the how-to??? i'd love to tackle it myself this time!! also where to buy proper parts would help as well! tanks!!! :pepsicheer:

Theres some good how-tos on how to do the led swap, i think there's one in the pics and videos section I think.

I bought everything off e-bay, needed about 50 leds to do the whole truck, and 470ohm resistors as well.

The smd type leds work best, I used 800mcd plcc-2 Blue SMD LEDs.

• 1 month later...

This info is good enough for me to sign up & post 1 time. Thanks you for posting this.

I would have never know what to be looking for on these resistors. Your photo got me looking close at the one in the pic. And I could see the hair line crack solder problem.

Found a few more with similar cracking. Took longer for the iron to heat up, then to resolder several resistors. Also did the 3 about 1 and 2 o'clock from the speed indicator.

I'm actually excited and can't wait to get the speedo out of my buddies truck. Was gonna just change his steppers and add trans temp. To simple not to hit the solder points.

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

The gear indicator on our 2003 Avalanche was fading out the same way. I had to replace a couple of the gauge motors and bulbs, so I took a look at the resistors while I was in there and sure enough, a few of them had cracked solder joints. I just reflowed and added a little solder to all of them to make sure it doesn't happen again. Made an account just to say thanks for the tip, the dash is back to 100%. Now if the tail light harness I ordered would get here I could put that back together and drive it, lol.

• 1 month later...