Code

Ok not the smart'est one on here, but check engine light came on. Checked Intercepter scan gage and told me code P0449 so i looked it up and this is what i got. DTC P0449 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Solenoid Control Circuit. Can some one explaine this to me?

That code is for a vent solenoid valve malfunction, and is a common issue on all late model GM trucks from say '03 +. The EVAP vent solenoid in your fuel system's vent circuit malfuctioned. Clear the code with your Aeroforce and see if it returns....

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Thank's had already cleared before i posted. Will see if it pops back up again?

If it does, post up.....I had the same issue with my truck(accompanied by a P0455 code) and know what has to be fixed....

Ok gone off three times since post. Recomend any fix? our how too.

Okay, the vent solenoid valve needs to be replaced. Additionally, GM's latest revision on the repair bulletin has you re-route the vent tube attached to the valve from the filler neck up to the transmission tunnel using 3/8 heater hose. I'll see if I can find the detailed procedure for you when I get home from work tonight.....

my truck started throwing the P0455 code. cleared it once and it came back. I don't know if it's that vent solenoid valve or not, but I'm not throwing the P0449. also if it is the vent solenoid valve, I'd love to see the detailed procedure as well. thanks

my truck started throwing the P0455 code. cleared it once and it came back. I don't know if it's that vent solenoid valve or not, but I'm not throwing the P0449. also if it is the vent solenoid valve, I'd love to see the detailed procedure as well. thanks

P0455 is a mass EVAP leak usually caused by a loose gas cap or faulty gas cap seal. If you were getting a P0446 or 449 along with that code, then I would say it is the VSV.....

Here is the TSB direct from GM, it covers codes P0446 and 449........in sense, you really need to have your truck taken in so that the VSV can be tested with a scan tool, verifying if it is bad....

Bulletin No.: 02-06-04-037G

Date: October 19, 2009

Subject: DTC P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) Set, Check Engine Light On (Replace Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Valve Solenoid Assembly and Add/Relocate Filter Box Using Service Kit)

Models:

1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic) Models

1999-2007 GMC Sierra (Classic) Models

2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado Models (Excluding Hybrid)

2007-2009 GMC Sierra Models (Excluding Hybrid)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update the material allowance in the Parts Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-04-037F (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers whose vehicles are operated in dusty type environments, such as farming or mining off-road type applications, may comment about the illumination of the check engine light, with a DTC of P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) being set.

Cause

Dirt and dust intrusion into the EVAP canister vent hose assembly, resulting in restricted air flow, may cause this condition.

Correction (1999-2007 Classic/Old Style Models)

After following the published SI diagnostics for P0446 and determining that the EVAP canister vent valve is the cause of the MIL light, replace the existing EVAP canister vent valve assembly with a new assembly. This new assembly is a sealed unit that is designed to be vented through a remote filter box. To ensure correct installation, follow the procedures below.

Important

DO NOT replace the EVAP canister assembly for this concern unless it fails the leak test.

1999-2003 Model Year (Use Service Kit P/N 19207762)

1. Raise the vehicle. Suitably support the vehicle.

2. Disconnect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector, if equipped.

3. Disengage the two vent valve pipe clips securing the pipe to the underbody. Remove the clips from the underbody and discard.

4. Disconnect the vent valve pipe at the EVAP canister.

5. Remove and retain the EVAP canister vent valve bracket mounting bolt.

6. Remove the complete EVAP canister vent valve assembly with bracket attached and discard.

Important

The new canister vent valve will be installed in a new location, outside of the frame.

7. Position and secure the new valve assembly to the frame bracket on the outside of the frame using the existing hole and mounting bolt.

Tighten the bracket mounting bolt to 12 Nm (106 lb in).

8. Connect the vent valve pipe to the EVAP canister.

9. Install the two vent valve pipe clips into the existing underbody holes.

10. Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector, if equipped.

11. Attach bulk 5/8" heater hose to the vent valve port and secure using a clamp. Run a length as needed along the frame rail routing to the area above the transmission.

12. Cut the hose to determined length and install the supplied filter box. Secure using a clamp.

13. Remove the transmission support and lower the transmission assembly as necessary to allow for access to the new filter box location.

14. Secure the filter box to the transmission vent hose just forward of the hose tee-section using a tie strap. DO NOT pinch or restrict the transmission vent hose. The filter box opening should be pointing downward.

15. Raise the transmission and reinstall the transmission support.

16. Tie strap the hose as needed along the frame rail in order to keep the hose away from pinch-points and heat sources.

17. Lower the vehicle.

2004-2007 Model Year (Use Service Kit P/N 19152349)

2. Disconnect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.

3. Disconnect the canister pipe from the vent valve.

4. Push in the retainer and remove the existing canister vent valve from the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket. Discard the old valve.

5. Cut back the existing canister pipe approximately 51 mm (2 in) to remove the quick connect end.

Crew Cab Short Box Shown Below, Other Configurations Similar

Extended Cab Short Box Shown Below, Other Configurations Similar

6. Install the new canister vent valve to the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket.

7. Cut bulk 5/8" heater hose to a length of approximately 76 mm (3 in). Install the hose between the vent valve and the canister pipe and secure using clamps.

8. Attach bulk 5/8" heater hose to the vent valve port and secure using a clamp. Run a length as needed along the frame rail routing to the area above the transmission.

9. Cut the hose to determined length and install the supplied filter box. Secure using a clamp.

10. Remove the transmission support and lower the transmission assembly as necessary to allow for access to the new filter box location.

11. Secure the filter box to the transmission vent hose just forward of the hose tee-section using a tie strap. DO NOT pinch or restrict the transmission vent hose. The filter box opening should be pointing downward.

12. Raise the transmission and reinstall the transmission support.

13. Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.

14. Tie strap the hose as needed along the frame rail in order to keep the hose away from pinch-points and heat sources.

15. Lower the vehicle.

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

well, I replaced my gas cap, and erased the code. been driving it around, any idea how long it would take to throw the code again if the problem hasn't been solved?

Within a couple days usually.....

P0455 is a mass EVAP leak usually caused by a loose gas cap or faulty gas cap seal. If you were getting a P0446 or 449 along with that code, then I would say it is the VSV.....

Here is the TSB direct from GM, it covers codes P0446 and 449........in sense, you really need to have your truck taken in so that the VSV can be tested with a scan tool, verifying if it is bad....

Bulletin No.: 02-06-04-037G

Date: October 19, 2009

Subject: DTC P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) Set, Check Engine Light On (Replace Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Valve Solenoid Assembly and Add/Relocate Filter Box Using Service Kit)

Models:

1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic) Models

1999-2007 GMC Sierra (Classic) Models

2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado Models (Excluding Hybrid)

2007-2009 GMC Sierra Models (Excluding Hybrid)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update the material allowance in the Parts Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-04-037F (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers whose vehicles are operated in dusty type environments, such as farming or mining off-road type applications, may comment about the illumination of the check engine light, with a DTC of P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) being set.

Cause

Dirt and dust intrusion into the EVAP canister vent hose assembly, resulting in restricted air flow, may cause this condition.

Correction (1999-2007 Classic/Old Style Models)

After following the published SI diagnostics for P0446 and determining that the EVAP canister vent valve is the cause of the MIL light, replace the existing EVAP canister vent valve assembly with a new assembly. This new assembly is a sealed unit that is designed to be vented through a remote filter box. To ensure correct installation, follow the procedures below.

Important

DO NOT replace the EVAP canister assembly for this concern unless it fails the leak test.

1999-2003 Model Year (Use Service Kit P/N 19207762)

2. Disconnect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector, if equipped.

3. Disengage the two vent valve pipe clips securing the pipe to the underbody. Remove the clips from the underbody and discard.

4. Disconnect the vent valve pipe at the EVAP canister.

5. Remove and retain the EVAP canister vent valve bracket mounting bolt.

6. Remove the complete EVAP canister vent valve assembly with bracket attached and discard.

Important

The new canister vent valve will be installed in a new location, outside of the frame.

7. Position and secure the new valve assembly to the frame bracket on the outside of the frame using the existing hole and mounting bolt.

Tighten the bracket mounting bolt to 12 Nm (106 lb in).

8. Connect the vent valve pipe to the EVAP canister.

9. Install the two vent valve pipe clips into the existing underbody holes.

10. Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector, if equipped.

11. Attach bulk 5/8" heater hose to the vent valve port and secure using a clamp. Run a length as needed along the frame rail routing to the area above the transmission.

12. Cut the hose to determined length and install the supplied filter box. Secure using a clamp.

13. Remove the transmission support and lower the transmission assembly as necessary to allow for access to the new filter box location.

14. Secure the filter box to the transmission vent hose just forward of the hose tee-section using a tie strap. DO NOT pinch or restrict the transmission vent hose. The filter box opening should be pointing downward.

15. Raise the transmission and reinstall the transmission support.

16. Tie strap the hose as needed along the frame rail in order to keep the hose away from pinch-points and heat sources.

17. Lower the vehicle.

2004-2007 Model Year (Use Service Kit P/N 19152349)

2. Disconnect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.

3. Disconnect the canister pipe from the vent valve.

4. Push in the retainer and remove the existing canister vent valve from the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket. Discard the old valve.

5. Cut back the existing canister pipe approximately 51 mm (2 in) to remove the quick connect end.

Crew Cab Short Box Shown Below, Other Configurations Similar

Extended Cab Short Box Shown Below, Other Configurations Similar

6. Install the new canister vent valve to the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket.

7. Cut bulk 5/8" heater hose to a length of approximately 76 mm (3 in). Install the hose between the vent valve and the canister pipe and secure using clamps.

8. Attach bulk 5/8" heater hose to the vent valve port and secure using a clamp. Run a length as needed along the frame rail routing to the area above the transmission.

9. Cut the hose to determined length and install the supplied filter box. Secure using a clamp.

10. Remove the transmission support and lower the transmission assembly as necessary to allow for access to the new filter box location.

11. Secure the filter box to the transmission vent hose just forward of the hose tee-section using a tie strap. DO NOT pinch or restrict the transmission vent hose. The filter box opening should be pointing downward.

12. Raise the transmission and reinstall the transmission support.

13. Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.

14. Tie strap the hose as needed along the frame rail in order to keep the hose away from pinch-points and heat sources.

15. Lower the vehicle.

good info..

you could also see if your covered under the federal emission warranty.. :dunno:

good luck

:seeya:

I know I'm kinda thread jacking here, but my CEL came back on. still throwing the P0455 code. Gas cap has been replaced, any other suggestions? Maybe there's a crack in the filler neck? I'll probably try to take it apart this weekend, and see if I can't figure something out.

Fix'ed today no more code. Cost me about $140.00 in parts ( $120 new GM solenoide kit #19207763 , $20 new 15' 5/8 hose and 4 clamps ) and a hour under the truck. Even got instructions with pic's from my GM parts man. I got 15' of hose because i was not sure on how much i would need a little extra never hurts. Instructions say to run the hose along frame rail and end by tieing off the new filter above the trans, this calls for droping you're trans just a little to get you're hose and new filter above it. I did not want to mess around with droping my trans so i ran the hose the length of the frame rail and up in to engine bay and tied the new filter off there. Glad i got the extra hose

Tools used, sloted screw driver for the clamps and tin snips to cut the hose.

Edited by waltsum3 (see edit history)