Djm C-notch Install

Les Hall

Ok I am by far NO expert , This is just something I have done to the last three lowered Silverados I've owned , And I was surprised at the fact that alot of members on here have trucks with 3" drops or lower, and most have just lived with that annoying bang from the rear axle hitting the frame,,,,And unless I just missed it I havn't seen the first post talking about these DJM frame supports,,,$109.95+shipping http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DJM-FK2599-C/ Like I said this is my 3rd truck I've put these on, 99 ex-cab,,,06 Silverado SS,,, And now my 04 reg-cab. Now these are recomended for trucks with a 6" flip kit, & years ago Belltech told me It's not needed on a 3/4 drop,,,Well they must only drive on perfect streets because Every Silverado I've had with a 4'' rear drop the axle slams the frame with any hard bump at all. Until I install these then, No more Bang:)

Here's a list of the tools I recomend for the job:

Floor jack

Jack stands

Reciprocating saw (have a few extra blades handy)

Corded Drill (Higher amp if possible)

Drill Bits (step up from small too 1/2")

C-Clamp

3/4 deep well sockets & wrench

Saftey Glasses-(even with a spare why risk one)

Allow yourself 3-4 hrs to complete

1. Get some jackstands under the axles,(remove wheels)

2. With the axle at it's highest point,,,make a mark on the frame even with the center of the axle,,,,,

DO NOT CONSIDER FACTORY BUMP STOP LOCATION CENTER POINT!!! It Changed when ya lowered it so

be sure to find center of axle with AXLE ON JACKSTANDS SUPPORTING TRUCK,,,,,

3. Trace out frame support on frame (I did this by 1st cutting it out of cardboard then tracing on frame)

Few Things you HAVE to do BEFORE cutting frame:

4. Support frame closer to the cab to prevent frame from bowing when cut.(I also placed floor jack under rear hitch)

5. Lower rear axle while keeping truck supported (Gets the leafs and hubs out of your way while you cut)

6. On Drivers Side,,Be sure to MOVE BRAKE LINE & WIRES from inside frame rail or they WILL GET CUT.

7. Cut out the Pattern you traced on frame.

8. Use a C-Clamp to hold Frame Support Bracket in place.(be sure the slanted end faces cab) They don't come

marked right & left,,and one end is slightly bent to match frame.

9. Drill holes, I started with a 11/64 bit for 1st hole, then stepped it up with a 1/4 bit, Then finished with The 1/2"

I drilled two of the outter holes, installed one bolt on each end THEN drilled remaining holes And finished it up by

installing the remaining bolts

post-15025-1267335712_thumb.jpg

post-15025-1267335718_thumb.jpg

post-15025-1267335724_thumb.jpg

post-15025-1267335731_thumb.jpg

post-15025-1267335738_thumb.jpg

post-15025-1267335744_thumb.jpg

Edited by miSSouriSS (see edit history)

awesome write up man looks great. Ill be doing this very shortly. 1 question I have is do your tires hit the fender as the suspension is compressed in? what I mean is there a 1 inch lip that sticks out on the fender and I'm worried that my tire is going to get cut by it

thanks

awesome write up man looks great. Ill be doing this very shortly. 1 question I have is do your tires hit the fender as the suspension is compressed in? what I mean is there a 1 inch lip that sticks out on the fender and I'm worried that my tire is going to get cut by it

thanks

well it just depends on what size tires your running, all the trucks I've done this on I ran a 275/45/20 cause I think it just goes great with a 4" rear drop, & I've never had an issue at all with any rubbing,,,now if you were to run the stock SS tires you would pushing it,,,

post-15025-1267391339_thumb.jpg

so the part number you posted will work on 05 extended cab? ive heard of some for only rc and some for only certain year frames.

Yep same part# for all 99-07 classic body style, extended or reg-cab doesn't matter, I used this same part# for all three trucks I did,,, 99 extended cab,,06 Silverado SS,,,& now an 04 Reg-cab.

very nice work, i need to do this very soon. i still need to lower the rear of my truck another 1" but right now its riding on bump stops :crazy:

even though Summit is pretty fast to ship most items, they don't keep these Frame support brackets in stock, they're drop-shipped directly from DJM so expect to wait 2-3 weeks for them to arive, but that was the case everywhere I found them & Summit was cheapest.

Nice write up Les. What shocks you running with a 2 or 3/4 drop. It seems that BT Street Performance are pretty popular with this. Any others you hearing about ?

just installed a full set of the Belltech Street Performance last week, They did soften up the ride , WAY better than the stockers the previous owner left on after the drop,,,The guy had went to the trouble of installing, Belltech spindles, Shackles , Hangers, Front & Rear Belltech sway bars,,,But left on the stock shocks :idiot: I guess it rides pretty good for a lowered Reg cab, there's not alot a weight on the rear, Havn't heard much of any other shocks for lowered trucks

Just did my beltech c-notch this week and all i can say is... Why didn't I do this in the first place???. The truck rides awesome now. No more hitting the frame for me! The only thing I think I have to do is get the fender roller because it looks like the rear tires are going to hit the inner fender lip. Ill keep you guys updated and take pics. Awesome thread!

• 8 months later...

Just did my beltech c-notch this week and all i can say is... Why didn't I do this in the first place???. The truck rides awesome now. No more hitting the frame for me! The only thing I think I have to do is get the fender roller because it looks like the rear tires are going to hit the inner fender lip. Ill keep you guys updated and take pics. Awesome thread!

iamwithstupid.gifpeelout.gif

• 3 years later...