Ram Air Hood

hawks

Well got started on changing the looks on my new ram air hood. I didn't like the plastic insert that came with it so I'm changing it up a little bit. Got the sheet metal cut and formed to the conture of the hood. It's ruff right now. Hopefully I will start the mig welding tomorrow. Here are some ruffing in photos. Let me know what you think so far.

post-14750-1266372534_thumb.jpg

post-14750-1266372417_thumb.jpg

post-14750-1266372747_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hawkman (see edit history)

It will be mig welded from the top (tack welds) 1/8 in between tacks. Then ground smooth with Bondo filling in the seam. Trust me you want see any flaws. The stock factor hood insulator will also be going back on. I want use any fiberglass. By the time I get it mig welded in there will hardly be any bondo to it.

I am in the process of making a custom cowl for my truck with a extra factory hood I have. I will get some pics as soon as I bend up the sheet metal.

I like the new look on your hood. It's one of those things someone is going to look at it and then look at it again and say wait a minute that looks different.

Ok. Today got it welded and filled in. Went real well with no issues. Finished up the night with the gray filler primer. Tomorrow I will spray black sandable primer and do some color sanding to fine any flaws. Here are some photos, hope ya'll like it. I do. LOL

post-14750-1266460468_thumb.jpg

post-14750-1266460488_thumb.jpg

post-14750-1266460504_thumb.jpg

post-14750-1266460538_thumb.jpg

Thanks Guys for the great comments. Today I spent a little time on the grille insert and got that finished. I purchased a street scene grille off of ebay that fit the nissan maxima. Got it for 20.00. I bought this because I have the street scene grille on the front of my truck. I can't really make up my mind though. The grille in my truck now is powder coated black. I don't know if I want or need to paint the hood grille insert black or leave it the aluminum finish. I kinda like the aluminum finish because it would break up the solid black of the hood and match my bowtie and brake ducts or paint it black to match my grille. What do ya'll think? :confused:

Oh. I thought I had all of the flaws out of it yesterday but came up on a small one, you can't see it but you can feel it. So 1 more thin coat of bondo so take care of it. I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow.

Actually I did and still have it. Some guys at work said \"you better keep it someone may want one\" I was like yeah Right.

:thumbs:

perfect, i\'ll send you a pm

only thing i would have done differently is \"fang\" the ends to flow into the hood. but very nice and helpful write-up.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=23599

Edited by WODY™ (see edit history)

:thumbs:

perfect, i\'ll send you a pm

only thing i would have done differently is \"fang\" the ends to flow into the hood. but very nice and helpful write-up.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=23599

Yeah it would look good that way to but I wanted to stay with the Camaro look. Like this.

post-14750-1266548149_thumb.jpg