VaraRam King Cobra induction (ram air version)

Just called Vararam this morning...at least another 2 weeks until ready to ship...looks like the brave few who will be trying it first will have to be a little more patient. I don't believe the pre-hype, but that doesn't mean that I'm not interested. It only has to be a little bit better that the Volant to peak my interest. I'll take my performance gains little by little if I have too...they all add up in the end!  :thumbs: (That being said, I'll eat my own shorts if anybody on here gains a full second with the ram-air version of this contraption!)

it might be worth trying just to see that :)

By the way tom, is this JUST the airbox, or does it come with the tube to go to the TB also? none of the pics showed that tube and I figure that it can't be as good as they are claiming if it doesn't at least include that.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I don't think home-made systems using the stock airbox can compare to this product. I went through many, many "revisions" of cold/ram air with my old airbox, and not one of them provided the fuel economy or off idle throttle responce of the bone-stock airbox.

I attributed the problems to turbulence confusing the MAF. If you fire up your truck, unscrew and lift the airbox lid, and put your finger near the MAF, you'll be VERY surprised at how sensitive it is to airflow.

It really sounds like these guys did their homework with this.

Why GM didn't want to run something like this right out of the factory? I don't think it's optimum for all weather conditions, intake noise restrictions, and paper air filter elements aren't made in these self-mounting cone-designs.

By the way tom, is this JUST the airbox, or does it come with the tube to go to the TB also? none of the pics showed that tube and I figure that it can't be as good as they are claiming if it doesn't at least include that.

If you read the product description on the Tbyrne website, they state that the system uses the stock tube. I cannot quote the Tbyrne website because it is copywrite protected. But if you read the last paragraph of the description you will find it. Personally I am not impressed with VaraRam. :nono: They are lot on release of there product and their website fails to disclose the fact they use the factory tube. :nono: Also many of you are full of performace knowledge any you doubt the perfomance claims. But, Hey I could be wrong. I guess we will all see... To be honest I am waiting on reports from our website. Lets see if it works.

I don't think there is any problem with running the factory tube...

Some one from AirRaid was quoted as saying that they designed a new intake-tube replacement for the stock system, simply because the general public thought it would perform better. They said they found no evidence that it actually did.

I'm in Maui on my honeymoon this week so my info is limited. Last I heard both systems should be ready to start shipping from VaraRam by the end of this week. I'll have to see if my office has heard anything else when I call there today (vacations still = some work :) ). I was surprised when I heard that they will be using the factory air tube. Patrick @ VaraRam said their system makes more power with that tube. It keeps the air velocity going into the motor.

Okay this may be alittle quick, But I am dying to know. :rolleyes: Has this system come in yet and have they been installed on anyones SSS. Its getting down to the wire now and I am going to buy a intake soon. :D I am skeptical about vararams claims, but I can be wrong. :rolleyes: Whats the latest? :D:flag:

I'm in Maui on my honeymoon this week so my info is limited. Last I heard both systems should be ready to start shipping from VaraRam by the end of this week. I'll have to see if my office has heard anything else when I call there today (vacations still = some work :) ). I was surprised when I heard that they will be using the factory air tube. Patrick @ VaraRam said their system makes more power with that tube. It keeps the air velocity going into the motor.

Tom,

Check out Grand Wailea if you are there, pretty cool place. Besides that im pretty sure you did all the touristy stuff.

Ryan, shut it down!!!

I was surprised when I heard that they will be using the factory air tube. Patrick @ VaraRam said their system makes more power with that tube. It keeps the air velocity going into the motor.

Riiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

if they're gonna use that choke-hold of a stock tube I seriously doubt any of these "1 second" claims are even close to true. Sounds like a scam to me.

I was surprised when I heard that they will be using the factory air tube. Patrick @ VaraRam said their system makes more power with that tube. It keeps the air velocity going into the motor.

Riiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

if they're gonna use that choke-hold of a stock tube I seriously doubt any of these "1 second" claims are even close to true. Sounds like a scam to me.

:withstupid:

bsflag.gifbs.gifflush.gifclementkick.gif

Check out Grand Wailea if you are there, pretty cool place. Besides that im pretty sure you did all the touristy stuff.

That's where we stayed! :) Very nice place with alot to do. HI was a 6 hour time difference so I ended up in bed by 10-11pm waking up at 5:30-6am every morning. I think I only adapted to 3 hours.

Some of the part numbers have changed. They are -

VR5B King Cobra induction $239.99

VR-6 King Cobra ram air induction (full system) $339.99

VR-7 King Corbra upgrade - converts standard system to ram air $99.99

(these are our retail prices).

The prices listed are what we usually sell them for. I talked to the owner of VaraRam a little while ago. We'll be offering some type of introductory pricing when these systems are released but those details haven't been ironed out yet. I'll be talking to him again on Friday to see what we can offer you guys.

They are working on putting a batch of these together now. The CNC work is being done and instructions are coming together so it's almost time. A complete system will be expressed to me when they are available. I'll do the install post pictures the same day. They are aiming at having equal horsepower and torque gains but those numbers will vary based on the vehicle. Truck motors are designed for more torque so higher gains will probably be seen there. They have been seeing power increases as low as 1000 RPMs. The 5.3 and 6.0 motors have been picking up 15-20 ft-lbs between 1000-2000 RPMs with this system. The ram air version will be the best way to go. It really helps with power and fuel economy by providing the motor with "free horsepower". As is being rammed into the motor as your driving so it doesn't have to work as hard to do the same job. The system is designed to accellerate the air that's coming into the system. You'll be forcing air into the induction which will then speed it up as it goes through the induction and into the motor. This is one of the ways that they are able to gain that much power in the lower RPM range. The non- ram air system also has the same benefit but it doesn't have air being forced in.

You also won't have to worry about heat soak. The system will draw in cool air from the front of the truck instead of taking in warm engine compartment air. The steel/aluminum systems on the market can really retain heat which is passed onto the air that flows through and into the motor. I've seen inductions that were to hot to touch after the hood was opened. Not good for horsepower!

I'll post more info as I receive it. I hope to have some discounted prices by the end of the week and at least one system installed by the beginning to middle of next week. In case your wondering why these haven't been released yet - there are always delays in productions. VR is waiting for the rest of the raw materials to come in to finish putting these together. Their supplier tells them a few days, they tell us a week and I pass that info along. The suppler gets delayed and then everything else is pushed back.

I know the results that VaraRam has been reporting are extremely good (better than most, if not all other systems) but let's keep the B.S. flag at the bottom of the pole until the unit is actually released and people are running it in the real world. This could be everything they say it is. VaraRam guarantees that you will see at least a 1/2-to 1 full second drop off of your 0-60 MPH times over factory stock for a reason so we'll have to wait and see.

Tom

Archived