VaraRam King Cobra induction (ram air version)

We have some more info on the new VaraRam induction. This version will be a true ram air system -

kingcobra_fullram.jpg

Full King Cobra Power

The best advantage of a true ram air system lies in the power and torque that can be produced under the power curve. The truck and SUV engines normally drop 1 to 2 psi in the manifold during shift recovery and general acceleration. This is where the King Cobra really strikes! In this area you can see another 10-18 hp and 12-20 ft.lbs. of Torque on top of the cold air system itself!

This airbox features a specialized multiple venturi system that enables the box to maintain an industry leading 100%+ efficiency. The unit brings in cold outside air through the 1st venturi system, at this point the air velocity is increased while turbulence is also reduced, this unit then recovers pressure at the air filter maximizing total air pressure or dynamic pressure at the filter. Manipulating the air this way aids in reducing unwanted air turbulence that would normally lead to losses in overall efficiency. The system features a specialized plenum bolume behind the filter that has an angle specific tulip shaped rear velocity stack to accelerate the airflow through the factory tube in a controlled manner, helping to improving off idle throttle response and torque while reducing unwanted air turbulence through the Mass airflow meter. The filter we use is a triple layer Baja filter that features a peel away “wrap” load up zone for heavy debris and dust. We then use two different main filter medias to enhance overall air filtration. This filter will flow over 1000CFM.

The induction without the ram air is -

VRtruck.jpg

Pricing for the King Cobra induction should start around $249.99. The full ram air version may be in the mid $300. range. I should have firm pricing soon.

Tom

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right on. I'm still shopping for my CAI. Hopefully someone will do some real world tests to see how well it really works. i know their products work EXTREMELY well on the C5 platform. :thumbs:

Yep. Actually you might want to look at a CO2 system or an air pipe refrigerant if they make them anymore. They were all the range for the 5.0 crowd in the mid 90's (basically a between the box and tb aluminum air tube that had an a/c line plumbed through it to reduce the temp of the incoming charge before the SC hit it).

It looks like it will work fine with the Radix. A shipment should be heading this way in about 1-2 weeks. New products are never released when they are advertised to be so I wouldn't hold me to this. They are getting close though!

Nightshift, all you need is cooler incoming air.  Radix is quite a Ram Air device.  :)

I've been thinking about the Volant tube, just concerned about the low intake and Houston flooding. This one the intake is high and it looks cool too.

Or would either one make any difference in air temp?

Tom... Is that a Houston truck? My first three digits are '8SM'.

WW :sleep:

• 2 weeks later...

VRtruck.jpg

More info is available for the upcoming VaraRam King Cobra induction. I should have pricing by Monday and the non-ramair version should be ready to ship in about 1-2 weeks. I'll have one for testing in one of my 8.1 trucks sometime next week.

A VR airbox that is over 100% efficient (compared to our best competitors 80% on a dyno and 60% under actual road loads)

The system will produce up to 2+ psi of pressure in the manifold at shift recovery producing stunning 0-60 mph improvements on every GM truck and SUV, putting the power where you can use it.

A water system featuring a drop away floor to drain any water that may inter the system (up to 2 gallons every 30 seconds)

Your choice of one of two air filters: the SS for everyday use and the Baja for serious offroading.( washable and reusable)

A quick and easy installation that uses existing bolt holes(10min cold air, 15 min ram air)

The King Cobra kits were designed from day one to be used daily to enhance vehicle performance beyond what a conventional cold air box can do, without sacrificing the durability or the value of the vehicle.

This has been accomplished by producing a true sealed Cold air system that uses a multiple venturi design to maximize overall airflow efficiency, no leaky boxiest that suck under hood hot air, no chopping ,cutting or custom computer tuning!

VaraRam guarantees that you will see at least a 1/2-to1 full second drop off of your 0-60 MPH times over factory stock no matter which GM truck or SUV you have or VR will buy the system back, but we are going even further, We guarantee that you will gain at least a full ½ second “OVER ANY OTHER” aftermarket air induction system or we will buy the unit back.

They chose a very conservative performance improvement figure that they knew ANY truck or SUV (whether V-6 or V-8) would see based on their test data from competitors products in real world conditions rather than a dyno. You will also see a fuel mileage improvement from the system; usually this is about 2-3mpg over factory stock. The heavier and slower the vehicle the stronger the gains EX: when towing a 5,000lb trailer with the same 2004 6.0 test mule we were seeing the 0-60mph times drop by 3-3.5 seconds (21.3-21.5 to 17.8-18.3 seconds) fuel mileage rose to 10mpg from 5-6mpg when towing.

Here are just some of the test numbers from several of VaraRam's test vehicles. All runs were made as direct before and after runs with NO computer re-learn time. All 0-60mph runs were made using a Vericom VC 2000 backed up by a PI Research onboard telemetry system to monitor MAP, airfuel ratio and overall vehicle performance.

2000GM truck 5.3 extended cab 4wd/2wd run in 2wd

Stock 0-60MPH 11.76-11.82 seconds over 3 runs

VR 0-60MPH 10.36-10.48 seconds over 3 runs

That’s a 1.4 second improvement!

2-3MPG improvement

2004GM truck 6.0 3/4ton extended cab longbed 2wd

Stock 0-60MPH 12.67-12.73 seconds over 3 runs

VR 0-60MPH 10.98-11.04 seconds over 3 runs

That’s a 1.6 second improvement!

+4 MPG over stock

2004 GM SS Silverado 6.0 4wd

Stock 0-60mph 6.82-7.10 seconds over 3 runs

VR 0-60mph 6.07-6.15 seconds over 3 runs

That?s a .7-1.0 second improvement!

+3MPG average

2000GM Truck 4.3V6, 2wd

Stock 0-60mph 8.1-8.3 seconds over 3 runs

VR 0-60mph 7.3-7.5 seconds over 3runs

That?s a .6-1.0 second improvement!

+2-3MPG average

These numbers are for the standard induction. They don't have any for the full system yet. We're currently taking orders for this system. Part numbers and pricing are -

VR6 King Cobra induction $239.99

VR5 King Cobra ram air induction (full system) $339.99

We should have the non ram air version here by the end of next week.

Archived