Vin # Location

singletonc20

I purchaced this truck from a police auction and after I got it home and went through the process of making it legit for the road I was told that the Identification on the truck was not legit. Not a big problem because they will issue me a new vin. But not until I can prove that the frame has a vin of its own. I have paid all kinds of people to search for this vin on a 2005 silverado crew cab frame, but with no luck. With my last post I was able to Identify my truck as being a 2005 Denali. My question to all the listeners is where the heck are the vin #s on my crew cab frame. Any info would help.

hptuners read the pcm only good if it is the oem pcm but most likely it is.

this truck was cleaned of all its vin #s and replaced with others except the frame. I was told by the insurance bureau that the # on the frame was removed. is there only the one on the frame or was he filling me full of crap.

I cannot find any info in the service manual regarding frame markings; however the book does have this to say:

Federal Law requires that GM label certain body parts on this vehicle with the VIN. The purpose of this law is to reduce the number of motor vehicle thefts by helping in the tracing and recovery of parts from stolen vehicles. The labels are permanently affixed to an interior surface of the part...

So you might have to pull a front fender, or pull a doorskin to look inside a doorshell, or ??? I don't know what those parts might be, I would ask a dismantling yard or body shop as they might have more practical experience with this.

Mr. P. :)

I cannot find any info in the service manual regarding frame markings; however the book does have this to say:

Federal Law requires that GM label certain body parts on this vehicle with the VIN. The purpose of this law is to reduce the number of motor vehicle thefts by helping in the tracing and recovery of parts from stolen vehicles. The labels are permanently affixed to an interior surface of the part...

So you might have to pull a front fender, or pull a doorskin to look inside a doorshell, or ??? I don't know what those parts might be, I would ask a dismantling yard or body shop as they might have more practical experience with this.

Mr. P. :)

:withstupid:

Steve you are a fart smeller!!!! oops meant smart feller!!!!!!!! lol jk

I thought GM stamped the vin number in the top side of the frame rail behind the front a frame or crossmember mounting points it may even be under the cab or bed itsself but it is stamped in there some place for sure unless its been ground off ...........

• 10 years later...

On my 08 it was in the back near the back cab mount on the crew cab on the passenger side was on the bottom facing down towards the ground where it could be actually if you full wheel the lock to scrape it off but it was still loud and proud what's in there found it by accident when I was on there looking for a loose rattle I thought they were in the front two