Heated Seats And Dr Power Seat Not Working?

Loeryder

Now that it is 8* here I am really needing to get this figured out.

So my heated seats in both front seats and my drivers side power seat functions are not working.

I have power seat on the pass side but not heat.

tireless searches have turned up nothing online so i am posting here in hopes one of you guys had the same issue.

the dealer says they can scan the databus for error codes stored by the Drivers Door Module and that will tell them exactly where the issue is.

Of course I didn't ask how much that costs and my warranty is up, naturally.

I have checked all the underhood fuses as well as both the instrument panel fuse boxes and everything I have pulled is good.

The memory module is still working because it will still adjust the mirrors as necessary when switching between pos 1 and pos 2.

And I dont think its the heated seat switch because how would that effect the power supply to the drivers seat power motors?

Anyone have any insight?

I had my heating elements replaced under warranty so I can't give you an estimated price on that. But it's weird if they just stopped working at the same time. Check the wires under the seats to see if something accidentally got unplugged or if there is a messed up wire. If not then I would say heating elements and motor for the seat. Prob won't be cheap at the dealer either if it is.

3 posts on 3 diff GM truck forums and not one hit of anyone with the same issue.

One guy on FSC posted the same issue back in may or so but he hasnt logged on in months and hasn't answered any PMs.

We have about 3/4" of fluffy on the ground, its 20 and dropping, 3-5" expected by morning and now my dual zone ac heat controls decide to only work if both sides are on 90. At least it works...

Found some stuff on the blending motor "gearbox" being of poor design and even poorer quality construction.

When it blends at anything less than 199% it is bottoming out the gear by driving the motors in too far.

Its basically a set of plastic reducer gears in a plastic case slobbered up with GM wax, I mean grease... And its supposedly "built to last" in mehico.

Or at least thats what I read on the interweb thingy. ;)

Just no good news out of this truck since it went out of warranty.

Speedo is stuck at 140+ too... Dealer said the 05 is not eligible for the recall and I would have to pay out of pocket for the new cluster (with the same shitty stepper motors) and send a letter to GM customer service to attempt to get a refund. $400 + so I told them no thanks, a business on ebay rebuilds them with a lifetime warranty on all 6 steppers and new lighting since both sucked so bad from GM. All for $59-$79 if you watch his auctions.

I really don't think its the heating elements in the seats b/c everything went dead at once.

Tomorrow I am keeping my dealership appointment since 90% of the other appts wont show and should have a good shot at getting more than one tech on it an get it back by 5pm. Supposed to be single digits tomorrow and icing over. AWD and heated seats would be nice for the drive home.

My drivers side headted seat dont work either man. It hasnw worked since I bought the truck on June 1st. Im not sure wut urs is doing on either side but Ill hit the switch and it will come on for a split second the it kicks off. I can hear the relay click when it does this so it may be in the relay switch or in the heating elements. Im going this week hopefully tomorrow. to get it checked. When I find out what it is and how much it will cost for the parts Ill try to post back up man.

Here is a run down on how the heated seats operate.

Heated Seat System Operation

The driver and passenger heated seats have 2 heat zone operating modes with 3 heat level modes and will operate only while the engine is running. The heat zones are determined by which of the 2 heated seat buttons are pressed, while the heat level is determined by the number of times they are pressed. Pressing the seat cushion button 1 time will activate the seat back and cushion heater elements in the high mode. Each time the seat cushion button is pressed the seat back and cushion heat level is reduced from high to medium, low, and off. Pressing the heated seat back button 1 time will activate only the seat back heater element in the high mode. Each time the seat back button is pressed the seat back heat level is reduced from high to medium, low, and off. During heated seat operation the heat zone operating mode may be changed without affecting the current heat level mode.

The heated seat switches are momentary contact switches and are inputs to the driver and passenger door modules. Battery voltage is supplied to the switch assembly from the door module, and when a heated seat switch is pressed and released a brief switch signal voltage is supplied to the door module. Whenever the door module receives an active heated seat switch input, the next heated seat operating mode is determined by whatever the current mode may be. The seat heater elements are controlled by the driver seat module using inputs from the door modules through Class 2 serial data circuit messages. The driver seat module controls the voltage supply and the ground circuits to the seat heater elements. When a heated seat function is commanded active, the seat module will switch battery voltage to the heater element supply circuits, and ground is provided through low side drive control circuits. During heated seat operation both the seat back and cushion heater elements are supplied battery voltage. The seat module grounds the appropriate control circuits for back only or back and cushion heating modes, and opens or closes the active control circuits as necessary in order to maintain the desired seat temperature. The seat module relies on inputs from thermistors located in the driver and passenger seat backs to control heated seat temperatures. The thermistors are 2 wire sensors supplied with a 5-volt referenced signal circuit and a low reference circuit from the seat module. Resistance through the thermistors varies with temperature causing the heated seat sensor signal circuit voltage levels to decrease as the seat back temperatures rise. The seat modules allow heated seat operation only while the engine is running which is determined by a Class 2 serial data circuit message from the powertrain control module

Check your connections first. If you don't find anything before I started to rip into the seats I would get someone to scan your vehicle first to see if any codes have popped up. If there isn't any I would say you have a electrical problem of some sort. It is funny that both seat heaters and power seats stopped operating. I would let them scan it first.

• 1 year later...

Hey i have the very same year truck and the same problem , what did the dealership have to say about it? :banghead:

Back at that time I took it to the dealer in non-working condition.

They called back and said after scanning and finding no codes they unplugged and plugged everything back in and it worked.I had to pay the $85 diagnostic fee and tey recommended replacing the seat control module at some ridiculous price.

It worked all last summer and fall and yesterday it quit again...

I am going out to change oil and mess with the seat wiring today.

Probably just a loose connection under there from shoving stuff under my seat.

Thankfully mine is still under warranty and I had it diagnosed as the control module went bad. The dealership will be replacing it but the control modules on our trucks are on national backorder so there really is no telling when mine will get fixed. It has been 4 weeks since it was diagnosed.

• 2 months later...

If that's even the issue.

My dealership quoted me the control module at $400+ saying they didn't find anything in the wiring to warrant a wiring issue.

So when they unplugged everything and then plugged it back in and it worked they blame the module.

They went straight for the most expensive related part they could find.

So last week both seat heaters and drivers side power went out again.

I started digging under the seat into all the wiring connectors.

Here is my findings...

The main power harness comes into the seat from (looking under the drivers seat from the back) the plug closest to the drivers side back seat.

There are 2 larger gauge wires, an orange and a black.

I noticed the orange wire was slightly discolored so I unplugged that harness first.

The 2 pins for the black and orange wires are discolored and the hard black plastic connector melted all around them.

it is not evident from outside the plug at all other than a slight discoloration on the orange wire.

It turned from orange to kind of brownish. Almost looked like mud or dirt stained the wire.

My question would be should I replace the factory plug harness?

Both sides are melted so that's 8 connections on each side to deal with...

OR

Bypass the connector for the power wires only and hard wire the black and oranges together so that there is not a connection inside the plastic connector to melt again.

I will take some pics if anyone wants any.

• 1 year later...

My trucks got this problem now... I had it parked for the last 2 ish months? maybe 3 for winter, but I gave up and started driving it anyway. And yeah, exact same problem. Guess I'll try replugging shit in. I know it's not the elements, because they are powered by the seat, and the seat isn't getting any power so yeah.

Arcticwelder,

Feel free to contact me as well if you need additional assistance. I would be happy to look into this for you on my end with the last eight of your VIN. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.

is this legit? Seems fishy