ASM Header Installation

Anyone who has installed ASM headers on their SS; what is the best way to go about getting them in there? I cut the stock exhaust just before the cats and pulled the manifolds out. I am trying to determine the best approach to getting the headers in there without scratching them all up. Just a brief description of how you did yours would be great!

Thanks

I went up from the bottom on the drivers side (after dropping the steering shaft), and from the top on passenger's side. I know others who have done it completely opposite though. Passenger side was the PITA.

Thanks guys. I got them in. For future reference, anyone installing themselves, here is how I did it.

As Ben mentioned, the passenger side was a major PITA. Removing the coil packs helped. On the passenger side, I also had to grind down a bolt that attached the heat shield to the floor pan. Also, the two transmission hard lines sit in a little metal bracket that holds them in place. If you take them out of that brakcet, you can move them far enough to the side to squeeze the collecter end through there. And of course you have to remove the dipstick.

The driver side went in smooth as silk. Just disconnect the steering column and the bottom end falls out of the way. I removed the coil pack on that side as well and she slid right in.

It really was not that difficult. The hardest part was finding a way to cut the stock exhaust in front of the cats as I really don't have any experience with a torch, I had to use a 4" cutoff wheel and a hacksaw *ugh* :sick:

Thanks again for your replies guys.

Also, with these header kits....

The pieces that weld up just in front of the cats; do they slip 'in' or 'over' the factory piping just before the cats - or do they butt up against them?

I figure if they are a 'slip fit', I can drive the truck to the welding shop. If they just butt up, I'd need to fit a temporary collar, or find another way to get them welded.

Also, with these header kits....

The pieces that weld up just in front of the cats; do they slip 'in' or 'over' the factory piping just before the cats - or do they butt up against them?

I figure if they are a 'slip fit', I can drive the truck to the welding shop. If they just butt up, I'd need to fit a temporary collar, or find another way to get them welded.

They slip over, but either way, when you drive to the weld shop, you're going to wake the neighborhood. I didn't worry about something temp, I just drove the thing like it was - the hell with everyone sleeping. :D

That was my first ride on open headers ... :crazy: wow... if you like loud it is a nice ride... haha... I sounded like an NHRA dragster starting out at every stoplight... not too many angry faces though (sorry to the mom and 3 kids in the minivan behind me), but I wasn't about to drop the $$$ for someone else to install them when all I really needed was a good welder

Archived