06 V-max Vs. 07 V-max

RCNap12986

Hey Guys,

I've been tossing around the idea of picking up a used V-Max. I like the new body style, but I am really interested in knowing which model is going to be faster. I live in New England so I will be forced to buy a 4x4. I would also like to get a crew cab. I know the 06 will have 4.10's, but not all of the new models do (z-71 has 3.73's). I also know the PCM is MUCH more restrictive from the factory in the newer models, so I'm more interested in comparing them with similar mods.

I would definitely buy the following:

1) EFI live tuning

2) CAI

3) Cat back exhaust

I would also be interested in a possible cam/torque converter upgrade with LT headers. Nothing major with the cam, but enough to give it a little extra kick (maybe a little more aggressive than the lingenfelter GT2-3, and a possible 2600ish TC), and I want to hear it at idle. How does the L76 react to cam swaps with the AFM?

So... with those mods, what could I expect from both trucks as far as 1/4 mile times? How much better is the gas mileage in the newer models? If I did get into cam and torque converter upgrades would the newer model be left in the dust?

I am also curious in the weight difference between the 2 models (ball park).

I have seen AWD SSS and 4x4 V-Max post low 14's with those bolt on mods, are the newer models just as capable? Ideally I would like to have a crew 4x4 running in the 13's without getting too crazy.

Thanks,

Rob Nap

first off, welcome to the site. :cheers:

you might get a little more response if you go to the member introductions section and introduce yourself. not much traffic in the vmax section :tumbleweed:

obviously, i'm partial to the old body style. you seem like you have done your homework on info for these trucks. i dont know a whole lot about the nbs vmaxs, but i can shed some light on the obs. like bob said, the old body style vmaxs are a lot easier and cheaper to buy parts for, being that most of the stuff on them is the exact same from the silverado ss (motor, trans, etc.).

with the mods you mentioned, minus the cam and tq converter, you're looking in the low 14s in a obs. im not sure about the weight difference between the new and old, nor am i sure about the weight difference between extended cab and 4 door. with a cam and converter in addition to the other mods, i'd say you might be in the high 13s, or at least around 14 flat, as long as youre not running super swampers or anything. wheatley has a 4-door 2wd n/a 5.3 that runs in the 12s on spray (i think..??). you really don't have to get super crazy to crack into the 13s.

you will probably have a much higher chance of finding a nbs vmax that fits your needs. VHOs were made from 04-05 and they were all ext cab 2wd. crew cab 4wd models were not offered till 06 under the vortec max name, then the body style changed in 07. if you could get your hands on a obs vmax, then i'd go with that. but if not, you can't go wrong with a nbs one.

there are a few nbs vmax owners here. hopefully a few will chime in and offer some more insight for the nbs trucks.

Thanks for the welcome and help guys. Unfortunately, I have noticed that this section of the forum seems to get a low traffic volume... I wish I had known before hand. I think I'll post a similar thread on some other forums to see where it gets me.

I was able to find some weight figures for the trucks... and it looks like the new ones in a crew cab are about 350lbs heavier than a silverado SS (5580 vs. 5240 per C&D). I don't know where that would put it in comparison to an 06 or 07 classic crew though. I would assume about 200 lbs heavier, which isnt the end of the world.

I like how the L76 can take the L92 heads as a direct replacement with the stock intake too. I have seen some of those going for pretty cheap, and it would be nice to make serious power with factory GM parts.

I actually know Charlie pretty well... I was his first ever mail order tune. Back then we had very similar trucks, and I knew he had his dialed in big time, so it was a no brainer. If you go to his website my current truck is pictured there. I have a black and silver 1997 2-door Tahoe with some 18" wheels and fat tires. I used to go on chevy truck world all the time, but have lost interest in that site big time. I still frequent performancetrucks.com from time to time to stay current with what guys are doing. People over there actually know what they are doing, CTW is very commercial and its a bunch of hacks.

I still have a ton of questions regaurding the GEN IV 6.0. Is the L76 intake used in the trucks the same as the L76 used in cars like the G8? They have slightly different power ratings, so I have a feeling they are a little different. People on other boards are getting great power with a mildly ported L92 head, and L76 intake combo. That with mild cam and a looser converter and I could be in fat city (I have seen over 500HP in LS2 corvettes with an aggressive cam, it also maintained over 400 ft. lbs. from under 3k to 6500 RPM). I know that with a heavy truck I can't even come close to the same cam, and that my powertrain losses will be MUCH greater, but its still pretty promising.

• 3 weeks later...

From a performance point of view I'd go with the 07'. The aluminum block and L92 style cylinder head make the engine a more desired choice for power. If you get one with the NHT package you get the 4 wheel disc brakes and 4.10 gear assuming you get a 4x4. I've worked on both and the L76 has more potential with less done to it.

• 4 weeks later...

I found out the hard way that 07 Vortec Max was by far the faster 6.0,,,(Back when I still had my ss) It was all I could do to beat one with WAY less mods than my SS,

Here were my mods:(2wd 06 SS)

160*statt / MSD wires / Coolant bypass / CAI / Magnaflow Exhaust / Pacesetter Lt's / NO Cats / Wheatley Tune,,,

Here were his mods:(2wd 07 Vmax)

CAI / Dynomax muffler / Hypertech handheld

I BARELY Beat him a truck length through the 1/4 and if we went on past the 1/4 mark he would PASS ME.

so YES there is one hell of a difference between the two,,,,Even though the 07 was only rated like 22hp more than the 06 SS, It seemed Way faster.