Front Differential Rebuild Instructions?

Does anyone have some instructions/how to do a rebuild on the front differentials? I have an 04 SS that I believe has chewed up some bearings and I would like like to figure out what parts/kit I would need for the rebuild and also looking for any advise of what or what not to do.

Thanks

Does anyone have some instructions/how to do a rebuild on the front differentials? I have an 04 SS that I believe has chewed up some bearings and I would like like to figure out what parts/kit I would need for the rebuild and also looking for any advise of what or what not to do.

Thanks

Do you mean totally rebuild it or just fix what is tore up? Have you pulled the cover and found what is messed up? That's how you will know what you need.

I don't think there is instructions on rebuilding it, just torque and free-play specs. Just remember to replace the races when you do the bearings and the caps are side specific.

there is no "kit" persay, however its all available through your local dealer. at minimum you will need:

-both pinion bearings

-both carrier bearings (they are not side specific)

-pinion seal

-pinion nut (its a lock nut, not reuseable)

-both axle seals

-2 lock tabs ( these tabs are what lock the adjusters in place so you dont loose backlash and carrier preload)

when your ready to do it, pm me, i'll give you my number and i can walk you through carrier setup over the phone. i've rebuilt close to 100 of these diffs.

there is no "kit" persay, however its all available through your local dealer. at minimum you will need:

-both pinion bearings

-both carrier bearings (they are not side specific)

-pinion seal

-pinion nut (its a lock nut, not reuseable)

-both axle seals

-2 lock tabs ( these tabs are what lock the adjusters in place so you dont loose backlash and carrier preload)

when your ready to do it, pm me, i'll give you my number and i can walk you through carrier setup over the phone. i've rebuilt close to 100 of these diffs.

And he does great work!!!! :cheers:

Thanks for the input guys. I dont think I need a complete rebuild, it just sounds like a bearing is going bad, but it's still driving. GM, are you interested in doing the rebuild if I shipped it to you? It's not something that needs to be done ASAP, but would be nice to have it back within a month.

• 2 months later...

i just bought a master ring and pinion install kit from 4wheelparts for $62 to do mine.

gmperformanceguy, are the stock specs for back lash and what not good or are there better clearances to use? i'm about to set mine up soon as i can get a inchlb torque wrench to set my pinion. i just want to make sure the factory settings are good. i can tell already that the way it came from the factory it was off. it seems a little loose.

Document ID# 855951

2004 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

2GCEK19N541386137

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Axle Preload and Backlash Specifications

Application

Specification

Metric

English

Backlash

0.08-0.25 mm

0.003-0.010 in

Backlash (Preferred)

0.13-0.18 mm

0.005-0.007 in

Pinion Bearing Preload, New Bearings

1.7-3.4 N·m

15-30 lb in

Pinion Bearing Preload, Used Bearings

1.1-2.3 N·m

10-20 lb in

Pinion and Differential Case Bearing Preload, New Bearings

3.4-6.2 N·m

30-55 lb in

Pinion and Differential Case Bearing Preload, Used Bearings

2.8-5.1 N·m

25-45 lb in

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Document ID# 855951

2GCEK19N541386137

Document ID# 879646

2GCEK19N541386137

Fastener Tightening Specifications

Application

Specification

Metric

English

Differential Adjuster Lock Nut Bolt

20 N·m

15 lb ft

Differential Carrier Assembly Case Bolts

47 N·m

35 lb ft

Differential Carrier Bracket to Frame Nuts

90 N·m

67 lb ft

Differential Carrier Assembly Mounting Bolts and Nuts

100 N·m

75 lb ft

Front Differential Carrier Shield Bolts

20 N·m

15 lb ft

Front Drive Axle Actuator

20 N·m

15 lb ft

Inner Shaft Housing to Bracket Nuts

100 N·m

75 lb ft

Inner Shaft Housing to Differential Carrier Assembly Bolts

40 N·m

30 lb ft

Pinion Shaft Lock Bolt, 9.25" axle

53 N·m

39 lb ft

Plug, Drain and Fill

33 N·m

24 lb ft

Ring Gear Bolts, 8.25" Axle

120 N·m

89 lb ft

Ring Gear Bolts, 9.25" Axle

138 N·m

102 lb ft

Stabilizer Link Nut

18 N·m

13 lb ft

Vent Hose Connector

28 N·m

21 lb ft

Wheel Drive Shaft Inboard Flange Bolts

79 N·m

58 lb ft

Wheel Drive Shaft to Front Hub Nut

240 N·m

177 lb ft

Yoke Retainer Bolts

25 N·m

18 lb ft

Document ID# 879646

2GCEK19N541386137

• 2 weeks later...

looks like my stock setup was out a bit. about .011. i got it to about .007 now. but i need to check the drag with the diff installed. i got the pinion right at 29inlbs. the pattern looks good but its not in the middle of the ring gear teeth. it is one way but not the other. the pattern covers most the tooth but its closer to one end then the other. if i post a pic can you guys tell me what ya think. its funning cause rear ends seem to be easier than the front.