Headlights

lakas187

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I don't have a camera, please forgive lack of pics and use your immagination -

Get some masking tape and park on level ground very close to a garage door or wall (within a couple feet). On the wall mark the lights' horizontal centerlines with a straight line of masking tape; optionally you can also mark the vertical centerline for each light as well to give T-shaped marker revealing the installed position of the headlight.

Next back an entire truck-length from the garage or wall and begin aiming your lights - turn the adjusting screws slowly while watching the light beams on the wall; you want to adjust the low beams so that they hit 2-4 inches below the horizontal centerline, also they should ideally be 2-4 inches right of their vertical centerlines as well. You do not want the lights to be completely centered either horizontal or vertically, or they will blind oncoming traffic; also, pointing the beams slightly downwards puts the light on the road where it belongs.

Mr. P. :)

p.s. - A personal adjustment deviation that I do is to purposely aim the centerline of my passenger-side lowbeam about 1-1/2 inches higher than the driver's light, this better illuminates street signs and still does not blind other drivers (it's not all my idea, headlights on european cars are aimed this way by law). It works great to better read road signs and even up close you cannot tell that the beam is aimed a couple degrees higher, but still make sure it remains aimed below its centerline.

thanks a lot... I really appreciate that... i'll do that later on today because my lights seem to be aimed too far downward toward the street after installing my aftermarket headlight housings

That happens a lot, after I tore my headlights apart to black-out the turn signal lenses the reflectors were off too. But in your case since you have the stock lights still (I assuming) reinstall them, then back-up a truck-length from the wall, mark the spots, then reinstall the new headlights and adjust to where the factory ones were set.

Mr. P.

Archived