How-to Install A Remote Start

BlueAKSSS

nice write up. think i need a new alarm system cuz mine isnt beeping anymore.... still locks / unlocks / autostarts but i dont hear it tell me is open or closed or started :(. and i dont know where its located cuz it came with the truck when i bought it. any tips on where it could be?

Usually there mounted under the dash on the drivers side. Take out the two bolts and pull off the large cover (the one right below the steering column) and you should see you Autostart/Alarm box under there. Should have lots of aftermarket wiring and stuff going to it and should be pretty easy to find.

Usually there mounted under the dash on the drivers side. Take out the two bolts and pull off the large cover (the one right below the steering column) and you should see you Autostart/Alarm box under there. Should have lots of aftermarket wiring and stuff going to it and should be pretty easy to find.

haha yea found it. do u think i can just get a new alarm and put the brain into my existing wiring?....... i have a compustar but i think all the box's are the same just that they have different company names on them.

my siren might be busted i just looked @ it inside my hood. cuz it doesnt beep or anything when i hit lock / unlock the doors still unlock and car still starts but there is no audio which tells me my alarms brain is working. or maybe i should just get a new siren?

Edited by 10zin (see edit history)

I would try a new siren first, the wiring harnesses between boxes is different most of the time I believe. Maybe your siren got some water in it over time and went bad?

ye thats what i was thinking ill get one off ebay.... do u think this will work? and it should just be a plug and play thing right i shouldnt have to mess with the box as in reprogramming or w/e.

http://www.ebay.com/...6#ht_666wt_1032

Edited by 10zin (see edit history)

ye thats what i was thinking ill get one off ebay.... do u think this will work? and it should just be a plug and play thing right i shouldnt have to mess with the box as in reprogramming or w/e.

http://www.ebay.com/...6#ht_666wt_1032

Yeah that should work for you, all your alarm puts out is a 12v pulse whenever it makes the chrip sound so, to hook up the one on ebay just cut and splice the wiring from your old one and connect the new one.

Yeah that should work for you, all your alarm puts out is a 12v pulse whenever it makes the chrip sound so, to hook up the one on ebay just cut and splice the wiring from your old one and connect the new one.

hey i also noticed that my led's dont light up when i arm the alarm. they used to blink when it was armed. any thoughts on y this would be happening?

tnx

hey i also noticed that my led's dont light up when i arm the alarm. they used to blink when it was armed. any thoughts on y this would be happening?

tnx

Hmm not sure on that one.... Maybe there is something up with the main module.

Hmm not sure on that one.... Maybe there is something up with the main module.

man think my brain is kaput....... went to go use the remote starter and thing wouldnt remote start

think i need a whole new system

good news is that i probably wont have to mess with the wiring as im going to get the same alarm and just swap out the box and siren.

also what does the hood switch do?...... i was changing out my alternator 2day and noticed that the wire that connects to it was not attached anymore..... tried to hook it back up but it wouldnt go back on.

man think my brain is kaput....... went to go use the remote starter and thing wouldnt remote start

think i need a whole new system

good news is that i probably wont have to mess with the wiring as im going to get the same alarm and just swap out the box and siren.

also what does the hood switch do?...... i was changing out my alternator 2day and noticed that the wire that connects to it was not attached anymore..... tried to hook it back up but it wouldnt go back on.

The hood switch is a switched ground that when the hood is open won't allow the truck to remote start and it also sets off the alarm if someone pops your hood while the system is armed. Sounds like you've got a good plan to fix it. Good luck!

• 3 months later...

i understand bout the remote start install but what bout the alarm install. if i use d2d, will i need to wire up some of the other harnesses beside hot wire and grounds.(like door lock/unlock, door trigger ect...... basically the big harness on alarm side.) all this is for viper 5704 and xpresskit db-all bypass module

You will have to hook the green on the gm dlpk to the negative door trigger input of the viper, other than that, it's pretty much the same way he did it. Here's the diagram of how the dlpk should be hooked up, you don't need the tach hooked up unless you program to use the tach signal.

http://www.xpresskit.com/DocumentDownload.aspx?documentid=6026&productid=125&firmwareid=1633

Edited by No SS (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

How is your bypass wired? I have the same one as you but it shows directions only for 2007 and up. I was hoping you could be more specific on how yours is wired. I don't have a solid purple wire

Edit: I'm an idiot. Purchased wrong one. Guess we can't all make a good first impression haha

Edited by keenan907 (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Ok I finally got all my issues sorted out. In case anyone else tries this in the future since the original how to write up didn't mention this...

For best results, the purple/white tach wire from the Viper unit needs to be wired to the purple/white tach wire on the DLPK GM. In your Viper module programming, set it to voltage sensing, then adjust your idle time to whatever you want it to be.

After that, ensure you follow the Viper instructions on how to do a tach learn not the virtual tach and you'll be good to go.

Note: If you run into problems of your DLPK GM not programming to the truck, leave connector 2 connected then follow the rest of the instructions and it'll work great. When I followed the instructions how they were written, the LED light would go out as soon as I plugged in connector 2 and not allow the learning process to proceed.

DLPK GM Connector 2 Wiring:

1. Purple to OBDII

2. Pink tied into GM-12 harness for ignition wiring

3. Purple/White Tach to Viper Purple/White Tach

Edited by LETHL_SS (see edit history)