How-to Install A Remote Start

BlueAKSSS

Great write-up but i have a question about hooking up a clifford 50.7x alarm to the gm t-harness:

do the 3 red (fused) power wires on the alarm harness get spliced to the 2 red (fused) wires on the t-harness?

and is the pink/white wire on the alarm harness the ignition 2 output?

Thanks,

Tony

I dont wanna step on your great write up. But if you lower your antenna wire out of the tint level your distance for your fob to truck will be better. Anyways great write up.

Yeah no problem I am by no means a pro but I have done lots of automotive wiring on the engine side of things. Anyways I do agree while it works excellent where it is mounted I am sure it would work even farther away if mounted lower. I tested it on a frozen 5 mile lake and left my truck parked went to a friends place more than 1.5 miles away across the lake and tested the Viper and it still was able to start and control my truck. I was amazed I think it was because it was so open and clear since its a frozen lake.

Also to anyone reading this thread I think there is also a How To paulguy did after this one that's better about installing a Compustar system. Might want to search for it for more help, although this one applies to Viper mostly. pepsicheer.gif

It's accually the metal of the roof that interferes with the starter radio signal. Sure the tint can't help, but the metal will turn the range into poo. You can make a 1/4 mile starter only have 50 feet of range if the antenna is too close to the metal. Ask me how i know.

When it comes to antenna placement...always on the right side against the mirror , so the driver doesn't see it, down low probably at least 8 inches below the top of the windshield.

And I run the cable inside the factory mirror wire cover. You shouldn't see anything from the drivers seat.

But thats just my opinion.

Oh ya and DEI blows goats.

Edited by paulguy (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

Do you have to solder the wires? This seems like it would be so much easier if I didnt hve to solder each connection... Does Best Buy Solder each connection? That would most likely be my installer. Or myself. I have some good T crimps and various other crimps that honestly I trust more than my own solder connections upside down under my steering column... I know crips are frowned upon but I can see this job time being cut down big time with the harness you mentioned and just crimping the wires....

Or am I a :dupe:

Edited by matt 2k12 (see edit history)

Do you have to solder the wires? This seems like it would be so much easier if I didnt hve to solder each connection... Does Best Buy Solder each connection? That would most likely be my installer. Or myself. I have some good T crimps and various other crimps that honestly I trust more than my own solder connections upside down under my steering column... I know crips are frowned upon but I can see this job time being cut down big time with the harness you mentioned and just crimping the wires....

Or am I a :dupe:

Soldering would be a much better way to go IMO.

• 1 month later...

My autostart was unplugged from the dealersihp that I bought my truck from. How simple is it to plug back in or is it more involved than that?

Depends what all they did and why they unplugged it. Might have not been working so they just unplugged it. If they just unplugged the box and its still under there you should be able to just plug it in and have it work assuming you have the remote....

Depends what all they did and why they unplugged it. Might have not been working so they just unplugged it. If they just unplugged the box and its still under there you should be able to just plug it in and have it work assuming you have the remote....

The dealership told me some excuse but yeah I have the remote. What it does is when I push the start up button the engine starts for about 3 seconds and then it just cuts off.

• 1 month later...

nice write up. think i need a new alarm system cuz mine isnt beeping anymore.... still locks / unlocks / autostarts but i dont hear it tell me is open or closed or started :(. and i dont know where its located cuz it came with the truck when i bought it. any tips on where it could be?