Gauge Cluster Led Conversion

idahoBLKss

part 3 ac controls

now keep in mind there are 3 different kind of ac units out there... the dual digital climate control , the two knobs , and the dual vertical sliders... this is the vertical slider unit ...... now i know most people have the digital unit and if you do i know that ben "kckid" has done those b4 so you might want to get a whole of him for some pics...

b4 you unbolt the back pull knobs off and pull the slider knobs off as well may take a lil force, dont pop buttons out they stay in

the unit from a distance...

PIC_0960.jpg

PIC_0959.jpg

PIC_0958.jpg

PIC_0957.jpg

when doing this complete all of the lights b4 you plug it back in it seems like if only half of the lights done that half of the stock bulbs wont light up so dont get spooked just finish the job.

OK I FINALLY DID A DIGI UNIT ... BLACK MARKINGS REPRESENT POSITIVE SIDE...

PIC_1004.jpg

PIC_1005.jpg

some of you guys been asking what tools ive been using so here you go ...

my soldering station=

PIC_0961.jpg

desoldering braid , comes in handy to get factory solder off . you need it for the ac unit...

PIC_0962.jpg

and the solder ive been using...

PIC_0963.jpg

all found at radio shack

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)

heres two dumb questions lol How do I take the dash apart to get the gauge cluster out, and what kind of soldering gun am I looking for to use I will be going to radio shack to pick up supplies. Thanks.

take a look at the last 3 pics i posted , you will need the stand the soldering iron in the stand "pencil type" dont get a gun, desoldering wic and thin solder ... i got all of it at radio shack.

to get the dash apart ,pinch the trim between your fingers and thumb and just pull it , it just snaps into place .put the key in and move the shifter all the way down and tilt wheel all the way down so you have room to pull the trim and dash out.

Hey Brian do you know if Ben is doing this for a fee ?? I've got a few lights out and wouldn't mind having this done. Sounds like a pretty good mod.

Yes, I definatly paid him to do my interior. PM him im sure he can set something up with you

well 100 rest..100 3 mm and 100 5mm leds showed up in the mail today... soo on my way to work im going to pick up a new soldering station..and mess with it at work.... soooo some time tomorrow expect a reply of frusterations and saying... whyyyyy did i did this.....lmao...

part 4 door locks / power windows...

note that you will NOT need resistors for any of these!

what the driver side looks like b4 i start....

PIC_0964.jpg

major close up of the far left one . the square white thing is the stock surface LED i put a black line on the positive side...

PIC_0965.jpg

PIC_0969.jpg

the black dots with the black line is the positive side..

PIC_0968.jpg

pics of them in from the other side..

PIC_0966.jpg

PIC_0967.jpg

passenger side ... agian the square white things are the stock leds just heat them and pull them out at the same time when the solder melts.

PIC_0970.jpg

PIC_0971.jpg

here are my LEDs in place ... black dot / line represents positive side...

PIC_0973.jpg

PIC_0974.jpg

after you do that next thing i did is cut the lil squares out using a razor blade so my LEDs could poke through...

this pic has one cut out so you can see the difference...

PIC_0972.jpg

this is what mine look liked after...

PIC_0975.jpg

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)

how can u tell which side is suppost to be positive and which is negitive... other then just trial and era.. theres gotta be a way i would think

by looking at my pics!!! lmao!! other than that trial and error... unless if you can plug the unit in with the board exposed and touch the LEDS to the board to see thats how i did the doors ad windows, but be careful when doing this you don't want to cross circuits and fry something!!

So I did my gauge cluster, ac control, and light and dimmer switch today came out good not as bright as I thought it would be I did everything in red. I have to take the gauge cluster back out tommorow to adjust the needles because they have to come off in order to have access to the gauge board. With this write up I would not have been able to do this thank you very much.

So I did my gauge cluster, ac control, and light and dimmer switch today came out good not as bright as I thought it would be I did everything in red. I have to take the gauge cluster back out tommorow to adjust the needles because they have to come off in order to have access to the gauge board. With this write up I would not have been able to do this thank you very much.

your welcome, do you have the same ac control as me?