Gauge Cluster Led Conversion

idahoBLKss

• 1 month later...

hey guys,

Dumb question but can the truck be driven without the cluster? I know i wont have any indication of what the trucks doing and all that but can it be driven without it or not? Just wondering because I have a bad ass soldering station at work, but I cant sit in the parking lot and take my dash apart lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok I got an update here, still need some thoughts and suggestions please. (Just to recap, all steering wheel lights are not working/lighting up. The problem is not in the leds as my lights all work when plugged into my dads truck (03 avalanche).

I have tested a new steering wheel wiring harness today, that did not fix the problem. I bought a test light, and found that one connection lights up when the interior lights are turned on with the truck shut off. The picture below will show which connection lights up.

plugmine.jpg

Now when I took the test light to my dads truck I found that 2 connections are supposed to light up as shown below:

plugdad.jpg

I stripped the wire for that second connection thinking that maybe the connection inside the plug was loose and took the test light to the bare wire, nothing lit up. I'm at such a loss right now. Is it just a simple fuse? I don't know which fuse is for the steering wheel lights and I don't really want to pull every single fuse out one by one to see if any are burnt out.. I can get a whole harness from the column down but thats 100 bucks and a lot of unnecessary work...

Ok anyone who wants to know how to fix this, it is a super simple fix.

After a few hours of reviewing wiring diagrams and running in circles I found the solution. (Note: This is only true if the buttons don't light but still function properly.)

I will try to post pictures later, but in short all four buttons share a single power source for the lights. After reviewing the GM wiring diagrams I found that the lighting circuit has a simple 2 amp fuse. That is the fix, finding it was not. The wire is a brown wire with a white tracer. If you look at the base of the steering column on the left hand side, you will see a large connector. If you check the brown wire with a white tracer you will more than likely see 12 volts at this connection, however you will see nothing at the connection under the air bag. I have heard a lot of people say it is the SIR Coil. DO NOT REPLACE THIS!! Unless of course you like to spend money. Trace that brown wire with the white tracer down the column. (This requires you to remove some things like the lower dash pad etc. You will have to pull that wire out of the rest of the zip ties and electrical tape. Towards the bottom of the column you will see a small black shrink wrapped bulge in the wire. (Buss fuse in shrink wrap). That is your blown fuse. Here comes the fix. Chop that out and go pick yourself up an inline fuse holder at your local auto store. Simply solder that bad boy in and pop in a 2amp fuse. Good as new. The best part is that if it happens again you now have just a standard fuse!! Good luck. I hope this helps some people out there.

Rob

Edited by delay18 (see edit history)

You should have keep reading this thread, We fixed thattallcanadian's truck a couple months ago. Could have saved you some time looking.

I posted a pic of the fuse on #224

It all worked out in the end though. Glad you got it fixed.thumb.gif

You should have keep reading this thread, We fixed thattallcanadian's truck a couple months ago. Could have saved you some time looking.

I posted a pic of the fuse on #224

It all worked out in the end though. Glad you got it fixed.thumb.gif

DAMN IT!! I am such a toolbanghead.gif Haha well That's what I get for not coming online more often lol.

On a side note, does anyone else think that that is a ridiculous design idea from the genius people at GM?

DAMN IT!! I am such a toolbanghead.gif Haha well That's what I get for not coming online more often lol.

On a side note, does anyone else think that that is a ridiculous design idea from the genius people at GM?

Ya sucks they have that there but it's better then not having it. I'm sure the clockspring would fry if it wasn't.