Gauge Cluster Led Conversion

idahoBLKss

THE OFFICIAL HOW TO CLICK HERE.... http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/69672-the-official-led-how-to-guide/

here is part 1 to the conversion, feel free to ask questions.. i will have a list of parts and lots of pics to follow ...

and b4 i start this i want to give a thank you to kckid1695 for giving me pointers and steering me in the right direction, thanks!!

parts i used and ohh yeah i replaced a stepper motor while i was in there (white circle thing)...

ok this is the stuff you'll need 20pack of 5mm leds, 50 pack of 3mm leds (all flat tops and 180* view) and 50 pack or more i dont know yet of resistors 470 ohm 1/4 watt ...

PIC_0894.jpg

PIC_0896.jpg

this is what you start with...

PIC_0892.jpg

this is what a stock bulb looks like just toggle it back and forth till it pops off they are lightly soldiered on...

PIC_0893.jpg

ok it is very important to make sure your positives and negatives are in right, your leds will be easy to tell the long leg is positive but when you soilder them to the board make sure you have them like i have them, the resistors are soildered to the positive leg, i took very close up front pics so it shouldn't be a problem to tell , this will save you hours of trouble shooting...

PIC_0897.jpg

the gauge cluster is where you will use the 5mm LEDS no 3mm LEDS in there...

PIC_0898.jpg

PIC_0899.jpg

PIC_0900.jpg

PIC_0901.jpg

the ds21 spot in this pic is wrong it is pointing to the negative spot but the rest are pointing to the positive...

2011-03-21_21-43-30_851.jpg

in some spots your going to want to add a extra led to get rid of hot spots and you will have to bend them with the needle nose to take shape how you want them to...

2011-03-21_21-56-56_734.jpg

2011-03-21_21-57-26_661.jpg

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)

wow Jon that is bamf could you pm me the parts list this is gonna be next thing i have a few burnt out light on my dash

thanks brother

Justin

Yeah me too, I want to do that so bad, but im going to go with red (i love the red on my Pontiac and my dads BMW). Im just a little afraid about messing it up. what exactly do you need to do it right?

Can the bulbs just be replaced on the Gauge? if so what bulbs do i need? I have been searching the internet for hours and cant figure it out

i dont know if they make replacements for the bulbs but they could be replaced, just pull the original off and soldier the new one on , i have lots of stock bulbs now :P , but if i were you while your in there i would just put leds in even if its white ones, but let me know ill sell the stock bulbs for a couple bucks each to cover the cost of shipping and a bubble wrap envelope and ill test the bulb b4 i send it to be sure it works.

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)

Looks really good! 2 questions though... How hard is it to strip it down to actually change the lights and can't the stepper motor get screwed up if it's tampered with?

Again looks great! :thumbs:

it all held together by plastic slide in snaps so all you need is a small screw driver to wedge in between it and it comes apart very easy. as long as your careful you wont mess up your stepper motors i actually had one go out b4 i even touched the dash and so i replaced that while i was in there its was easy. :cheers:

if any of you guys have a stepper motor issue and your out of warren tee i would be willing to fix it for you if your not feeling up to it just shot me a pm.