Awd T-case Fluid

post-19730-1264848283_thumb.jpg

went to the dealer this thursday to pick up my transfer case fluid. dealer said they use the auto trak ll for automatic transfer cases. told them what about the part # 88861800 (manual transmission & transfer case fluid). the employee didnt know what to tell me and since i just got my ss not too long ago from them they could pull up my vin. he still didn't know which one but said "these 2 i guess." i told him that a lot of the guys in the forums are running the auto trak ll and a couple said the manual trans fluid is the one to use.

i went with the MTF cause it is cheaper than the AT2 but was still in the debate on which to use. when i came home from work i ended up browsing in the truck forum on gminsidenews and for some reason stumbled upon a vette forum and this is what i found. just thought it might help a little

If you can, Steve, please do. I think a lot of us are running Autotrak II. Thanks.

This is what my service manual shows for my truck. Maybe this will help.

Document ID# 1242054

2004 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

2GCEK19N541386137

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommended Fluids and Lubricants

Fluids and lubricants identified below by name, part number or specification may be obtained from your dealer.

Usage

Fluid/Lubricant

Engine Oil

Engine oil which meets GM Standard GM6094M and displays the American Petroleum Institute Certified for Gasoline Engines starburst symbol. GM Goodwrench oil meets all the requirements for your vehicle. To determine the proper viscosity for your vehicle's engine, see Engine Oil .

Engine Coolant

50/50 mixture of clean, drinkable water and use only DEX-COOL Coolant. See Engine Coolant .

Hydraulic Brake System

Delco Supreme 11 Brake Fluid or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid.

Windshield Washer Solvent

GM Optikleen Washer Solvent.

Hydraulic Clutch System (5-Speed Trans.)

Hydraulic Clutch Fluid (GM Part No. U.S. 12345347, in Canada 10953517) or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid.

Hydraulic Clutch System (6-Speed Trans.)

Hydraulic Clutch Fluid. Use only GM Part No. U.S. 88958860, in Canada 88901244, DOT-4 brake fluid.

Power Steering System

GM Power Steering Fluid (GM Part No. U.S. 89021184, in Canada 89021186).

Manual Transmission (5-Speed with Low Gear, RPO MW3)

GM Goodwrench Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid (GM Part No. U.S. 12346190, in Canada 10953477) or equivalent SAE 75W-85 GL-4 gear oil.

Manual Transmission (5-Speed without Low Gear, RPO MG5)

Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (GM Part No. U.S. 12345349, in Canada 10953465).

Manual Transmission (6-Speed)

TranSynd™ Synthetic Transmission Fluid (GM Part No. U.S. 12378515, in Canada 88900701).

Automatic Transmission

DEXRON-III Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Key Lock Cylinders

Multi-Purpose Lubricant, Superlube (GM Part No. U.S. 12346241, in Canada 10953474).

Floor Shift Linkage

Lubriplate Lubricant Aerosol (GM Part No. U.S. 12346293, in Canada 992723) or lubricant meeting requirements of NLGI #2 Category LB or GC-LB.

Chassis Lubrication

Chassis Lubricant (GM Part No. U.S. 12377985, in Canada 88901242) or lubricant meeting requirements of NLGI #2, Category LB or GC-LB.

Front Axle (Four-Wheel Drive)

SAE 80W-90 Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. U.S. 1052271, in Canada 10950849).

Front Axle (All-Wheel Drive)

SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. U.S. 12378261, in Canada 10953455) meeting GM Specification 9986115.

Front Axle

SAE 80W-90 Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. U.S. 1052271, in Canada 10950849).

Rear Axle

SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. U.S. 12378261, in Canada 10953455) meeting GM Specification 9986115.

Rear Axle (Steerable)

Synthetic Axle Lubricant; use only GM Part No. U.S. 12378557, in Canada 88901362. Do not add friction modifier.

Manual Transfer Case

Automatic Transfer Case (Four-Wheel Drive)

AUTO-TRAK II Fluid (GM Part No. U.S. 12378508, in Canada 10953626).

Transfer Case (All-Wheel Drive)

Front Axle Propshaft Spline or One-Piece Propshaft Spline (Two-Wheel Drive with Auto. Trans.)

Spline Lubricant, Special Lubricant (GM Part No. U.S. 12345879, in Canada 10953511) or lubricant meeting requirements of GM 9985830.

Rear Driveline Center Spline

Chassis Lubricant (GM Part No. U.S. 12377985, in Canada 88901242) or lubricant meeting requirements of NLGI #2, Category LB or GC-LB.

Hood Hinges

Multi-Purpose Lubricant, Superlube (GM Part No. U.S. 12346241, in Canada 10953474).

Body Door Hinge Pins, Tailgate Hinge and Linkage, Folding Seats and Fuel Door Hinge

Tailgate Handle Pivot Points, Hinges, Latch Bolt and Linkage

Weatherstrip Conditioning

Dielectric Silicone Grease (GM Part No. U.S. 12345579, in Canada 992887).

Weatherstrip Squeaks

Synthetic Grease with Teflon, Superlube (GM Part No. U.S. 12371287, in Canada 10953437).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Document ID# 1242054

2004 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

2GCEK19N541386137

What Hawkman posted WAS the correct fluid to use prior to 2007 when they changed to the Manual Transmission fluid. I talked to a tech at a GMPP store and he said the NVG-147 takes the MT fluid like I posted in here. Nobody seems to have had any problems running the AT II though so you might take it with a grain of salt...

What Hawkman posted WAS the correct fluid to use prior to 2007 when they changed to the Manual Transmission fluid. I talked to a tech at a GMPP store and he said the NVG-147 takes the MT fluid like I posted in here. Nobody seems to have had any problems running the AT II though so you might take it with a grain of salt...

Had the parts guy put in my v.i.n. number...

GM says to use manual trans fluid now...at least for my year...

Had to switch over/back to Dextron fluid due to the dealership being closed on weekends...trust me the Auto-trck fluid was MUCH smoother and quieter...using the 'new' manual trans the dealer sold me until I can stop the leak...

And one more thing good luck finding a 'low' priced transfer case...the pump arm wore a hole through mine...and most of us will have to 'back half' our cases soon enough...153k miles on my old gal...

and we have a NVG-149 transfer case...i have been looking... :(

Edited by cadillacbob (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Had the parts guy put in my v.i.n. number...

GM says to use manual trans fluid now...at least for my year...

Had to switch over/back to Dextron fluid due to the dealership being closed on weekends...trust me the Auto-trck fluid was MUCH smoother and quieter...using the 'new' manual trans the dealer sold me until I can stop the leak...

And one more thing good luck finding a 'low' priced transfer case...the pump arm wore a hole through mine...and most of us will have to 'back half' our cases soon enough...153k miles on my old gal...

and we have a NVG-149 transfer case...i have been looking... :(

get a new pump wear retainer clip, the new style. then jb weld the hole or find a local guy that can weld it. personally i jb welded mine, but i had a friend that had his welded up. it looked good. the new style pump retainer clips to the pump itself not the case so that they don't break like before. its a $5 piece vs a new case.

Edited by 4.8t (see edit history)

!!! Will have to look into that.

Mr. P. :)

Steve. Did you ever find out about this? My owners manual say to use Dextron III. I guess it doesn't really matter it's been using Dextron III for 100,000 miles with no problems. What's your thought on this? :confused:

from what i have gathered so far, the reason for the "new manual fluid" is that gm does not sell dex III anymore. and they dont want the use of dex 6 in the cases (too thin or something like that and it does not wear correctly) so they came up with this new stuff. so i would think dexIII of the shelf would be fine.

maybe some lucas atf adder stuff to go with it (just a thought).

ironically...I have had all of the said fluids in my transfer case over the last few weeks...not by choice (see my other posts)

The auto trac II blue fluid was the quietest by far...and thats what is going back in after I get the rebuild...

just my .02